Homepage Article Everton Already Have An Identity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah this isn't really true.

Unsworth would do that regardless of who was in charge! We played some decent football under Moyes more often than not but he would often negate it by playing a striker wide right etc or bringing a defensive sub on.

There are loads of things to pull Moyes up about (and I do), I don't think his style of play was one of them really. Not saying it was like watching 1970 Brazil or anything but it was generally fine.

In that last season especially we played some really nice stuff

Moyes is a bad choice
I honestly think he will only use the threat of an Everton move to get more leverage over the Dildo Bros. West Ham is a blank slate, whereas he would be operating under Brands here. Given Moyes seems to be better at Brands' job than Brands, I don't see how it would work.

I honestly think he will only use the threat of an Everton move to get more leverage over the Dildo Bros. West Ham is a blank slate, whereas he would be operating under Brands here. Given Moyes seems to be better at Brands' job than Brands, I don't see how it would work.
He'll be stupid to leave to join us, he's done a fantastic job with West Ham, I just don't want any ex manager back. I hope we get a manager in who has a clear idea and identity, that is something we haven't had since Moyes really.

His signature move was someone like Unsworth getting to the half way line and punting long diagonal ball to the edge of the opposition box for either the Galloot or Cahill to head on for a team mate to win the second ball.
Unsworth and Ferguson were only around for his first 2/3 seasons, after which we integrated players who could play it around the deck like Arteta and Pienaar, mixing it up with pacey or powerful strikers like Johnson and Yakubu. He then blended the two styles together when Fellaini came in

Unsworth and Ferguson were only around for his first 2/3 seasons, after which we integrated players who could play it around the deck like Arteta and Pienaar, mixing it up with pacey or powerful strikers like Johnson and Yakubu. He then blended the two styles together when Fellaini came in
Didn’t we sell Duncan to Newcastle back then as well?

This is our identity
Screenshot_20210605_185917.jpg

Great article. I don’t want Moyes but I think the sentiment “familiarity breeds contempt” is spot on; the likes of Nuno and Potter get instantly sneered at because we’ve seen their failings at PL level. Sexy, foreign coaches are wished for instead, even though I’m sure if we fine-toothed combed their history we’d find similar blips and issues.

I also agree with the assertion that the manager needs to leave the transfers to Brands. I think it’s either all in the manager’s hands or all in Brands’s; we’ve just signed Marcel up to a new contract so I think that’s that when it comes to who has the say.

I don’t want Moyes back. Nothing against him but I don't want a manager like any of our last few who stand on tbe touchline with all the emotion of a snail. I want craziness, Simeone level lunacy. Somebody to pace the technical area like a caged lion. Somebody to shake these players out of their stupor. I want visible passion and energy.

God, I've read so much abject drivel on this thread. Just wish I wasn't so blotto, so I could remember it all.

Firstly, 'never go back'. I'd happily go back to the bar for another Guinness after having had a Scotch or two as a change. The girl I passed up 40 years ago is a constant torment to me. 'Never go back' is just a mindless mantra for those with nothing actually useful to churn out.

Secondly, the 'knife to a gunfight' thing was the absolute truth. I know there is a substantial, not to say majoritorial, body of fans who feel this was some sort of sacrilege, but they're simply delusional. Facts don't lie.

Thirdly, Moyes manifestly didn't play us like a fiddle. He did his level best for a long time, with a seasonal budget of 87p. If any of us were given the job of restoring a veteran Ferrari on 87p, and then (after a lorra years trying with the old Ferrari), were offered a job on a top Formula 1 team, then we'd definitely take it, unless emotionally chained to the Ferrari, which Moyes wasn't.

Sure there's another bottle of wine around here, somewhere......... :drunk:

I honestly think that's a terrible article that's all over the place. For example, Moyes' "identity" was to scream about bringing knives to gunfights, constantly lower expectations to preserve his own reputation. He is a bad choice.

And if you are accepting mediocrity, then you are... accepting mediocrity. It doesn't need to go 'in the bin' as a phrase; it's simply an acknowledgement of fact. If you think identifying mediocrity is a bad thing, then you are part of the problem.

But hey, fair enough for writing it anyway.

Why do football fans get obsessed with taking quotes out of context and then saying it sums up a whole managerial approach?

Moyes was good at playing down expectations to take pressure off the players. It helped them outperform, rather than underperform.
Not only did he play down expectations he told his side to expect a defeat and if anything else happened was a bonus. Hence no wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.