Everton and VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but I thought that VAR couldn't overrule the referee. The ref chalked off Mina's goal last week, so VAR didn't step in, so we were told.

The referee didn't give the penalty against Keane, so VAR did. Have I missed something?

On the subject of penalties which are widely described as 'soft', I've always thought that while there might be have been a foul if you went by the letter of
the law, it shouldn't be given if there was no real scoring opportunity. When, for example, there's incidental contact on a player at the corner edge of the penalty
area with his back to the goal. Was Brighton's player deprived of a real scoring opportunity when Keane stepped on - not stamped on - his foot?

Inappropriate Language
Nope, I was horribly wrong about it.
It has potential to be brilliant but all it does is give corruption another tool to make games go the way they want them to.
A disaster. Not just because a decision has just gone against Everton; it's been a disaster regardless.
I was very pro-VAR because naively I thought it would purify the game and stop [Poor language removed] happening on a pitch, [Poor language removed] like god's hands, free kicks and penalties for best actors and all that. But now I think the opposite with Leicester snatching a draw from Burnely thanks to very controversial decision in previous tour and this awful penalty. I never was a conspiracy person, but there is a possibility that some big football officials won't let go of the monopoly to manipulate the game.

People can moan all they like about VAR,but you cant just throw games away if one thing goes against you. This club is mentally weak.
Yeah, all we have left - dubious consolation. We don't have any resilience and grip for wining.

Just seen Martinez on Goals on Sunday. He said VAR shouldnt be referreeing the game, it should be helping the ref to make his decision or review it. In other words, that 2nd goal yesterday, if they feel they must let the ref know there was contact then do so. But, leave it to the ref to make 'his' final decision. He then either sticks with his on field decision or reverses it if he feels he's made an error and its a clear and obvious mistake (ie penalty).
Its a shambles. Effectively Lee Mason was in charge of that decision yesterday, not the ref on the pitch.
If every bit on contact in the box is exagerrated by the attacker going to ground, by this method, and by VAR decision, there'll be several pens every game. Nonsense.

Spurs have literally been robbed by VAR countless times this season and one dodgy decision gets us all “woe is me”?

We weren’t exactly playing well yesterday and we had ample time to go on and win it (Brighton did it ffs) and one game against a West Ham side who set up totally wrong and had an awful day doesn’t mean we’ve suddenly turned a corner from everything that’s come before. Stop with the excuses ffs.
Nonsense mate we were robbed, the decisions that went against us were not even borderline. Those 2 decisions both called wrong cost us 3 points, no doubt about that

Spurs have literally been robbed by VAR countless times this season and one dodgy decision gets us all “woe is me”?

We weren’t exactly playing well yesterday and we had ample time to go on and win it (Brighton did it ffs) and one game against a West Ham side who set up totally wrong and had an awful day doesn’t mean we’ve suddenly turned a corner from everything that’s come before. Stop with the excuses ffs.

You what? As far as I remember they’ve only ever benefitted from it.

I could be wrong but I thought that VAR couldn't overrule the referee. The ref chalked off Mina's goal last week, so VAR didn't step in, so we were told.

The referee didn't give the penalty against Keane, so VAR did. Have I missed something?

On the subject of penalties which are widely described as 'soft', I've always thought that while there might be have been a foul if you went by the letter of
the law, it shouldn't be given if there was no real scoring opportunity. When, for example, there's incidental contact on a player at the corner edge of the penalty
area with his back to the goal. Was Brighton's player deprived of a real scoring opportunity when Keane stepped on - not stamped on - his foot?
The reason VAR didn't / couldn't look at Mina's "goal" was because the ref had already blown the whistle for a foul before the ball had crossed the line. If the ref had waited literally half a second longer and blown the whistle after the ball had gone in, VAR could have overruled the ref. So basically this one was just down to awful refereeing

You're correct, VAR cannot overrule the on field ref. All VAR can do is suggest another look be taken. The ultimate and final decision is 100% up to the ref. While Mason is a compete buffoon, Mandley is worse because he was apparently more interested in saving :30 than using the sideline monitor as it was intended! This is where a judgment call about it being accidental contact could and should have been made.

It's the refs who are idiots, not the technology.

I only had to read a few pages to realize that most don't or don't want to, understand how VAR is supposed to be used. For those who do, read this article from ESPN. It's an extremely thorough and well-written breakdown on how it's supposed to work.

Forget about the Mina thing already, the ref blew the whistle. The second that happens, VAR cannot come into play no matter how bad the whistle blowing was. Full stop.

At the end of the day it doesn’t help when you have people like that fat gimp Le Tissier sat on Soccer Saturday going “HE’S TROD ON HIS FOOT, HE’S TROD ON HIS FOOT”. These decisions are being legitimised across the media and will continue to be swept under the carpet until they happen to one of the darling clubs.

Well, I've been out in town all day today and scoured all the papers left out for customers to peruse whilst having their Ethiopean coffee and so on.
Every one says that the decision yesterday will be a watershed in the whole palaver.
All I'm left to ask now is whether that fat toad Lee Mason given his performances when refereeing us, is the latter day Clive Thomas.

Stop pointing the finger at VAR. if it had been keen in their penalty area we’d be screaming for a pen. It’s Keane the cart house and this utter fraud of a manager to blame.
No chance, would have not blinked, football is now no contact with that decision... Keane is not even tackling a player who has control of the ball in the box... He is looking up following the flight of the ball

Did not even believe Richarlson being restled to the ground was a penalty, however, if Connolly gets it for coming together of feet then Richarlson is a stone wall penalty, because you don't unintentionally wrestle an opponent to the ground.

Being contrary keyboard warriors needs a lesson in not being so obvious... Football has disappeared down the rabbit hole.

No chance, would have not blinked, football is now no contact with that decision... Keane is not even tackling a player who has control of the ball in the box... He is looking up following the flight of the ball
You raise an interesting point. HAD Mandley, the ref on the field, actually followed the recommended practice of actually USING the sideline monitor, he could have said "thanks for bringing it to my attention, but I deem this accidental; no penalty." VAR can highlight something, bring it to the attention of the ref, etc., but the final decision is ALWAYS up to the ref on the field.

VAR would have worked perfectly, and (perhaps) we would have actually gotten a call right and our way. But because Mandley chose to skip the training class on how it should be used, we got what we got instead.

You'd have been really excited about that 1:22 minute delay in that case.

Given his involvement in that penalty decision, I wonder how long it will be before Lee Mason is assigned to referee a game at Goodison ?
And what kind of welcome (?) he'll receive.

Given his involvement in that penalty decision, I wonder how long it will be before Lee Mason is assigned to referee a game at Goodison ?
And what kind of welcome (?) he'll receive.
Didn't he already this year? He's reffed the game where Silva was fined earlier, though maybe that was away. I'm trying to forget all these matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.