"Everton can't deal with crosses"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-cant-deal-crosses-west-10997391

West Ham winger Michail Antonio has admitted the Hammers played on Everton's vulnerability from crosses to spring their 3-2 comeback win and condemn the Blues to a seventh home defeat of the season.

The 25-year-old sparked Slaven Bilic men's fightback from two-nil down with his 78th minute header yesterday, starting a 12 minute melt-down from the hosts that ended in their latest set-back on home soil.

Until then 10-men Everton had been largely in control of the game and gone ahead through Romelu Lukaku and Aaron Lennon.

But they undid their good work towards the end, and speaking on Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday Antonio explained how Bilic had identified Everton's weaknesses before the game.

He said: "We watched a couple of videos and saw they find it difficult to deal with crosses so 'let's get the ball in the box as much as we can'.

This has been mentioned within threads, particularly match day threads for some time. Everton's inability to defend a cross or high ball.

I'd say we can't defend against pretty much anything, but crosses/high balls do seem to cripple us more than most.

What do you reckon? Are we vulnerable from crosses?

We are very vulnerable to crosses and are easy to play against.
What we do in training i don't know and if we are paying that prat of a defensive coach we are getting ripped off

What do you reckon? Are we vulnerable from crosses?
Quite simply yes. I don't actually know the figures, but I would like to see how many goals we've conceded from crosses and headers this season.

We look extremely fragile when the ball is put anywhere near the six yard box and West Ham took advantage of that yesterday. As have others!

The only way I can see it being rectified is by working on it with a coach who is defensively minded and experienced, as it's an going concern.

Closing down crosses earlier would most probably help as well because we're often too slow to challenge wide players. Lennon did it well until...

.....it might be the same players but it's a different coach.
I think that is the point that he is making. Be it the last season or Moyes or the first of Martinez, many of these players were performing well.

Overtime and for whatever reason, which I think for most people will be the same, those players have become extremely vulnerable.

Every time a team runs at our defence you can feel the almost expectation or realisation that we may just concede.

Remember when we had one of the best defences in the country?

Hibbert Jagielka Lescott Baines
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Jagielka Stones Baines...

We've only replaced one player really and it's an absolute horror show.

Can only blame one person.

8e8fde3a5250e9260bdb48274edd28b9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back