Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest mate, I'm not sure Iwobi was the same, or at least the same process.

Iwobi has very good "numbers" and a lot of the recruitment guys were always very big on him. To some extent he's probably a player whereby you see the limitations of data. I can't imagine he was on a list though.

Niasse looks the opposite way. No prep but a "gut" feeling of a manager. I suppose you see the relative judgements of messers Ancelotti/Martinez when one goes out on a limb for Rodriguez, and the other for Niasse.

Its strange though. You look at Liverpool across the road, who are often held up for their diligence, signing a lad who's nearly 26 and has never played above the championship. I mean nobody could tell me he was top of any list before a week ago. People just panic in football, and make poor calls.
Liverpool signing Davies is different though. That's not panic really, it's actually a pretty sensible deal (in theory). They need a centre half in the short term but not the long term. They sign a lad who is nearly out of contract for a low fee, he offers cover or plays for the next couple of months, and is maybe kept on as cover next year. Then he's sold on at a massive profit as instead of being a Championship defender he's now got CL experience and Liverpool on his CV and someone is willing to pay £10m for him. Hopefully it doesn't work out and he scores 3 own goals in the derby, but i'd say as a move it's almost the exact opposite of a panic buy.

Mosh and Uzzie are in their silk pj's watching Reddit and buying Silver like mad.. will know how much we have to spend by 9pm

Liverpool signing Davies is different though. That's not panic really, it's actually a pretty sensible deal (in theory). They need a centre half in the short term but not the long term. They sign a lad who is nearly out of contract for a low fee, he offers cover or plays for the next couple of months, and is maybe kept on as cover next year. Then he's sold on at a massive profit as instead of being a Championship defender he's now got CL experience and Liverpool on his CV and someone is willing to pay £10m for him. Hopefully it doesn't work out and he scores 3 own goals in the derby, but i'd say as a move it's almost the exact opposite of a panic buy.
Yeah, sick to say it, but he's left-footed, quick, English... they'll turn a profit on him when he goes to West Ham or Southampton.

Wonder if the press will question him....

I think they will, they have been asking him since the start of January if we’d be involved in transfers and his response has always been he’s happy with what he has and that he only expects us to make outgoings. We literally have Gordon as our only attacking option left as it stands... and even he was about to be loaned out.

Na I just think both Ancelotti and Brands have agreed that the summer is the time to really move again.

Watched Ancelotti's post Newcastle presser earlier and something interesting stuck out. Previously he's said he's happy with the current squad for the second half of the season because we don't have Europe to content with, but he also noted in the presser on Saturday that he believes that we've done as well as we have this season because of the 'spirit' and NOT the 'quality' of the squad. Heavily suggests that he still views this as a long term process and he doesn't want to hinge too much on this season.

It'd be hugely disappointing if we didn't manage at least Europa qualification, but I reckon they'll have a plan either way.
I’d imagine they’ll look to the summer as January is traditionally not a great time to do business. Was more just laughing that we’re all on here hoping for a last minute loan deal. Very nostalgic lol

What honestly gives you confidence about top 6 mate after January’s performances? Serious question!

Man U will claim a place, they have quality in Fernandes, Rashford etc, Chelsea will surely improve under Tuchel and have the squad to do so, Spurs fully loaded have better options than us and Leicester despite losing yesterday looked a significantly better side than us last week and going forward will win more than they lose.
The confidence comes from having Ancelotti and I'm not looking into the last game which was atrocious btw, also looking at the sides above us and none of them are anything to fear. I think its 65 points or something like that we have got during Ancelottis 38 games. That's half of them games without James Doucoure and Allan as they weren't here last season. All to play for mate keep the faith.

Our problem has always been we have little quality in depth. Our policy this window has been to do our best to make it worse. Don’t change Everton will you lol

I mean thats one interpretation. However in honesty performances don't get you into the top 4/6, results do.

You could also argue;

West Ham: Poor game, 2 poor teams. 0-0 would have been fair
Sheffield United: Win against a team who have gone to United and won
Rotherham: Poor performance, but comfortable win in the end
Wolves: Good win
Leicester: Even game. They had a spell of posession and we missed our first choice midfield, but in honesty we had the better chances to win it.
Newcastle: Rubbish. No excuses.

I look at Spurs for example, I have watched parts of their last 2 games. I can't have it that they are going to finish above us. I'm sorry I just can't. They were well beaten by Brighton and well beaten by Liverpool as well.

Leeds is an important game for me, we need a good showing there, and to avoid defeat at the very least.

Sorry, we were awful in all those games bar Shef weds

Wolves have been atrocious for a long time. Shef UTD were on one point I think at the time, West ham easily beat us, Rotheham made us look very average, Leicester and newcastle, we were just devoid of any flair or attacking class at all.

Papering over cracks to suggest we were good in ANY of those games

Yep different interpretations, but I feel mine are more accurate, especially the Leicester and West Ham games.

so if you want to go on results, forget the FA cup against bottom 3 championship sides.

In the league we played 4
W1, D1, L2 with only 1 real decent performance in any of those 4 games.

Yes probably. And I mean you have cut off the league games before we had a winning run. It's a snapshot isn't it?

Our problem has always been we have little quality in depth. Our policy this window has been to do our best to make it worse. Don’t change Everton will you lol
The only player I would have slight reservations about punting is Bernard but even he has been erratic. The rest are dross who weren’t getting a look in at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.