Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez – Judge me on three seasons, not three months via GrandOldTeam

Roberto-Martinez-150x150.jpg

Roberto Martinez has urged Everton’s board and supporters to judge him on his three seasons at the club, rather than the last three months.

Martinez: “It shouldn’t be scrutiny of the last three months but instead the last three seasons. It’s a scrutiny of the squad we have put together and scrutiny of how we play against the top teams.”

martinezrecord.png

“The message is we are all hurting together. I understand their passion and they make us what we are as a club. Football without passion makes no sense.

“But I’d say to those fans only when you get through those difficult experiences and moments do you get a renewed drive to fight.”

Asked about the prospect of a board meeting being called to discuss his future, Martinez said: “I understand it completely. I never felt being Everton manager is a manager to be judged in an average position.

“I encourage huge expectations. As a club, we have to drive for silverware and top four and when you aren’t there the scrutiny needs to be there”.

The post Martinez – Judge me on three seasons, not three months appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton boss Roberto Martinez wants to be judged over three years, not three months as he continues to fight for his job via Daily Mail

With a talented Toffees squad sitting 11th in the Barclays Premier League table and coming off the back of a loss in the FA Cup semi-final, Martinez is fighting for his future on Merseyside.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Roberto Martinez says Kieran Dowell is ready for first team via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-482083086.0.jpg

Youngster could be in Saturday squad

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has attended plenty of Under-21 games this season, including one where he got into an argument with a fan who yelled at him to quit the club. So he's certainly seen plenty of forward Kieran Dowell. The youngster has continued to score some astounding goals, especially in 2016.

Finally, Martinez has gone ahead and addressed the question that has been on every Evertonian's mind for months now – when will Dowell get a look-in at the senior squad?

"Kieran Dowell is clearly under consideration.

Kieran Dowell has been outstanding with his performances. He's had outstanding consistency for the under-21s. I feel he is ready to be given an opportunity for the first team."

In a poll we conducted on Tuesday, 98% of you that he was ready for the first team. Glad to see Roberto finally getting the message.

Romelu Lukaku has looked tired recently, and could use a break. Arouna Kone is a known property, and his deficiencies are as long as his dry spell. New signing Oumar Niasse could be a character from an Agatha Christie novel for all we know, The forwards cupboard is pretty bare right about now, so why not give the lad a chance.

Just in case you have been hiding under a rock since February, then congratulations, you have missed a couple of the worst months of Everton football you could have ever imagined. Except for these bright spots. Watch and smile.

From April 26th

WATCH: Three stunning goals for @KieranDowell1 last night. A brilliant hat-trick for the #EFCU21 midfielder.https://t.co/rmHq1t405N

— Everton (@everton) April 26, 2016

From April 5th

WATCH: What a hit! Another belter from @kierandowell1 for #EFCU21 in the young Blues' 2-1 win at @NorwichCityFC.https://t.co/ShptDKoP9G

— Everton (@everton) April 5, 2016

From March 8th

WHAT A GOAL! Young Blues midfielder @KieranDowell1 scores a great free-kick for #EFCU21 last night. Watch now…https://t.co/uCHH5MSUkQ

— Everton (@everton) March 8, 2016

From February 16th

HIGHLIGHTS: Watch @kierandowell1's brilliant 40-yard lob, plus the other goals as #EFCU21 beat Southampton 3-1.https://t.co/hsxQO7lRsq

— Everton (@everton) February 16, 2016

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Martinez: We are all hurting together via NSNO

Everton boss Roberto Martinez wants Evertonians to know that he and his team are hurting as much as the fans after another disappointing season at Goodison Park.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Martinez wants to be judged over his three years at Everton via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-521571966.0.jpg

It doesn't look much better, really

During his pre-match press conference today, Everton manager Roberto Martinez addressed rumors that a board meeting was being held this week to discuss his future. The fans have had just about enough of Martinez, with the nadir of his tenure last week following a 4-0 thrashing at Anfield followed by an FA Cup semi-finals exit on Saturday.

The Toffees' abysmal home record this season has been a particular cause for concern. Eight losses matches a worst in the Premier League era, and there's still three games left to play at former-fortress Goodison Park.

Everton last won in the Premier League on 1st March, nearly two months ago. It's actually quite amazing that despite that woeful record, the Blues are still 11th in the League. Such has been the parity this season, that should the Toffees have strung together three or four wins together at any point they could have easily found themselves contending for a European spot.

Earlier this week, news broke that board meetings were scheduled this week with new owner Farhad Moshiri to decide whether Martinez was to be allowed to finish out his four-year contract which expires at the end of the 2016-17 season. When asked during his meeting with the press today, this was Martinez's response –

"I understand it completely. I never felt being Everton manager is a manager to be judged in an average position.

"I encourage huge expectations. As a club we have to drive for silverware and top four, and when you aren't there the scrutiny needs to be there.

"It shouldn't be scrutiny of the last three months but instead the last three seasons.

"It's a scrutiny of the squad we have put together and scrutiny of how we play against the top teams.

"I wouldn't want to be judged on the ninth budget of the league. I want to be under scrutiny of being proud of being Everton manager."

Unfortunately for Martinez, neither his record in the Premier League over three years nor the last three months make good reading for his prospects.

"Judge me over 3 years, not 3 months". pic.twitter.com/AhFLtCYmww

— The Football Pink (@TheFootballPink) April 28, 2016

His overall record over the last three years is 1.5 goals scored, 1.2 goals conceded and a win percentage of 38.2%.

And over the last three months, it's 1.2 goals scored, 1.3 goals conceded and a win percentage of 27.3%.

While the team has scored fewer goals since February and has had fewer wins, the poor defence seems to be a constant, and even Martinez's three year record would not be sufficient in making Everton a perennial top six contender.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back