Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony Bellew’s dream world title bout with lunga Makubu at Goodison Park confirmed via Daily Mail

Big Everton fan Tony Bellew's dream world title fight has been confirmed with the news he'll take on lunga Makubu at Goodison Park where the WBC Cruiserweight belt will be on the line.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Howard to start final two home fixtures via GrandOldTeam

howad3-150x150.jpg

Tim Howard will start the final two home games of Everton’s season as the Club celebrates his outstanding contribution over the past 10 years.

Martinez: “In our last two home games of the season we will be able to honour and acknowledge the outstanding contribution and unforgettable role that Tim Howard has made to our football club in the last 10 seasons.

“Tim will be joining Colorado Rapids at the end of the season but his legacy will live on for many years in the work that he’s done not just on the pitch but in helping young players to understand just what it means and what it takes to be an Everton player. We wish him well and he’ll be a true blue ambassador wherever he is.”

The post Howard to start final two home fixtures appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton mark Hillsborough verdict by dedicating matchday programme to families of Liverpool victims via Daily Mail

Despite the intense rivalry between the two clubs, Everton have stood by their neighbours in their search for justice and saluted the families with a tribute in this weekend's matchday programme.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Q&A with Tales from the South End via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-511413442.0.jpg

We had our second chat of the season with the AFC Bournemouth fan blog.

Ahead of this weekend's match we sat down with AFC Bournemouth fan blog, Tales from the South End to ask a few questions about our opponent. We answered a few of their questions as well which you can read at their site.

RBM: Eddie Howe would be a shoe-in for manager of the year if it wasn't for Leicester City's run. With Howe's record of success comes speculation about his future. How do the AFC Bournemouth fans feel about the prospects of keeping him at the club?

TFTSE: If we hadn't made it into the Premier League I think the fans would be worried. Eddie Howe is obviously ambitious (we still haven't forgotten Burnley) and wants to manage at the highest level. But he is still young and has plenty of time to fulfill any footballing ambitions he has. It's inevitable that he will move on at some point but currently has has pretty much everything he wants. He manages his local club, the team he supported and played for, he has the team he built, he has the backing of the chairman, he has the backing of the owner and he has the backing of the fans. When he has taken the club as far as it can go (Champions League? Premier League title?) then he will look for a new challenge. Hopefully that won't be for a few years yet.

RBM: The summer transfer window is coming up soon. Are there any players that have been identified as potential targets? Anyone on the fan's wish list?

TFTSE: There are a few that have been mentioned and once again these are English players currently plying their trade in the Championship. The names mentioned have been Lewis Cook and Oliver Norwood and I have no doubt that Eddie will be looking for more players. When it comes to a wish list we the fans have to be realistic. First, who wants to come and play for AFC Bournemouth and second can we afford them. Obviously, Messi, Neymar and Suarez would be great additions. Wouldn't mine John Stones as well.

RBM: With the season nearing an end, do you expect Eddie Howe to play some of the younger squad players that may not have seen much time on the pitch earlier in the year? If so, who will you be looking for?

TFTSE: Will Eddie give any of the squad players a chance? Seems likely a few will get a chance. He wants a strong finish to the season so that would mean playing our strongest team. I think he will swap around as he did against Chelsea giving all our main strikers time on the pitch. Callum Wilson has yet to reach full fitness after a long absence, so hopefully he will click into gear at Goodison and start scoring again.

RBM: Do you have a prediction for this weekend's match? Any players to watch on either side?

TFTSE: I would love a repeat of the game at Dean Court but I can't see that happening again. Both teams are hardly in scintillating form, but Everton need a result, or more like Martinez needs a result and at home Everton should get the three points. But, we have learnt a lot after heavy defeats to Spurs, Man City and Chelsea. So we may play a more defensive game. I reckon 1-1 is the most likely outcome, but I have a sneaky feeling Everton being at home will just nick a win 2-1. But obviously, I hope I'm wrong (and I usually am).

Thanks again to our friends at Tales from the South End.

Like Royal Blue Mersey on Facebook & Follow @RBMersey on Twitter

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton boss Roberto Martinez to give youth a chance as he fights for future at Goodison Park via Daily Mail

Roberto Martinez plans to put his faith in youth as he fights for his future as Everton boss. Martinez knows some fans are calling for his head, with protests planned during Saturday's home game.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Mark Hughes denies interest from Everton as Stoke boss rejects speculation linking him to replace under-fire Roberto Martinez via Daily Mail

Roberto Martinez's position at Goodison Park appears precarious following a season of underachievement, highlighted by supporter dissatisfaction in recent weeks.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton vs AFC Bournemouth: Premier League Matchday 35 via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-499062998.0.jpg

Was the 3-3 draw down South when it all started to unravel? Is there some karmic symmetry that could happen tomorrow?

Maybe after he's gone we'll miss Roberto Martinez's press conferences but for now they remain as infuriating as ever.

To kick-off Roberto had a message for the fans who plan on protesting his reign against AFC Bournemouth,

"The message (to those fans) is we are all hurting together. I understand their passion and they make us what we are as a club.

"Football without passion makes no sense.

"But I'd say to those fans only when you get through those difficult experiences and moments you get a renewed drive to fight more than ever and find a way of challenging for silverware.

"The signs are there but we aren't the finished article. I'm more capable now to find the final adjustments to make us better."

It was the first chance to gauge the gaffer's reaction to last Saturday's semi-final with Manchester United since his post-match presser after the disheartening defeat.

"We played our hearts out in the second half at Wembley and that's the way forward.

"We are all hurting, the fans and everybody in the dressing room was devastated.

"If we can reproduce that level over the full 90 minutes, going forward that's the way.

"It's given us a renewed drive. That second half is the way to achieve future success."

And Martinez looked to endear himself to the fans again,

"The support we had at Wembley was one of the best I've seen at a football ground.

"We fed off that. We played without the handbrake on in the second half.

"That's what we've been building over three years. To go to Wembley and go eye-to-eye with a team who challenges for silverware."

Looking forward to Saturday, a journalist asked the Spaniard about the thrilling reverse fixture which finished 3-3 but the politician-like Martinez batted the question away like Alastair Cook cutting one down to third man.

"I think we put that to bed in the FA Cup game. We kept a very good clean sheet and Robles had a good performance.

"We are facing a Bournemouth side with a lot of energy still enjoying being promoted.

"But it's going to be ourselves and how we can get through the pain of last weekend."

In terms of team news the manager said,

"[Phil] Jagielka is going to be missing for the next few games, it's too early to say if he'll miss the rest of the season.

"Gareth Barry and Seamus Coleman will be missing and Ramiro Funes Mori is in the second game of his suspension.

"We'll have a little bit of a weak back four in terms of the bodies missing.

"Maybe we'll have a good opportunity for some young player to come along."

And finally, Martinez was asked about his thoughts on the Hillsborough inquests;

"It was an incredible boost to the city and humanity in general.

"The Hillsborough families showed us the way how to fight in life in their incredible fight to find truth, fairness and justice.

"Everyone at Everton has been shoulder to shoulder with them. We are extremely proud of them.

"What they've achieved for the city is magnificent and hopefully they can find a bit of closure."

Thoughts we can all only echo.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back