Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley and Stones Named in England Euro 2016 Squad via NSNO

Everton's John Stones and Ross Barkley have been named in England's final 23-man squad for this summer's Euro 2016 Championship.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton to rival Man United and Real Madrid as Moshiri states ambition via Royal Blue Mersey

532203432.0.jpg

Everton's new majority shareholder makes bold attempt to lure Monchi to Goodison Park

Everton are reportedly looking to nip ahead of the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester United by attempting to lure Sevilla sporting director Monchi to Goodison Park.

Monchi is widely seen as the man behind Sevilla's remarkable rise over the past decade which has seen the club win nine trophies while still making a £152m profit in the transfer market.

Monchi, real name Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo, has already announced he is to leave Sevilla this summer for a fresh challenge.

New Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri is looking to appoint a director of football to oversee contract negotiations, transfers and scouting, allowing a new head coach to work day-to-day with the players.

That could well be Sevilla boss Unai Emery, with has reportedly held talks with Moshiri over the Everton job – the prospect of Emery and Monchi reuniting at Goodison Park is an exciting one to say the least.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Monchi is keen on a move to England and can speak the language having spent six months in the UK during the 2013-14 season.

However, the Telegraph also believes the Toffees are unlikely to land Monchi given Manchester United and Real Madrid have already been linked with the 47-year-old, meaning Moshiri will have to be at his persuasive best to sell his Everton vision.

Even if the move doesn't come off it is an encouraging glimpse of Moshiri's ambition. He is at least starting at the top in his hunt for a new coaching team and seems to be living up to our club's motto – nothing but the best is good enough.

After years of settling for mediocrity it is both refreshing and thrilling to see.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Rumour: Everton Waiting on Drop in Emery’s Sevilla Release Clause? via NSNO

The Liverpool Echo has reported that Sevilla manager Unai Emery's buyout clause will drop dramatically at midnight on Wednesday – and could pave the way for Everton to make their move.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Ross Barkley makes the cut and joins John Stones in England Euro 2016 squad via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-486986460.0.jpg

Barkley's poor recent form raised doubts about his England place – but Hodgson has kept faith with the midfielder.

Everton duo John Stones and Ross Barkley have been included in England's 23-man squad for Euro 2016, avoiding the cut that saw Danny Drinkwater, Andros Townsend and Fabian Delph miss out on a trip to France.

Stones was always going to make the final squad given he is one of only three regular central defenders in Roy Hodgson's provisional 26-man party. Eric Dier, a midfielder for Tottenham, will act as a makeshift central defender where necessary.

Just a few months ago Barkley's place in the squad looked just as assured, but poor recent form and question marks about his fitness meant he faced a nervous wait as Hodgson mulled over his final choices.

CONFIRMED: The #ThreeLions squad for #EURO2016.
23 players, #TogetherForEngland. pic.twitter.com/lpUwMo4HPk

— England (@England) May 31, 2016

Barkley registered 12 goals and a further 10 assists during the season, but his last goal came in February and he recorded just three assists in the final 14 games of the campaign.

That has led to some questioning his fitness, even though the 22-year-old played 46 times this season including every Premier League game.

Barkley has visibly bulked up over the past 18 months and is known to work extremely hard in the gym, perhaps at the expense of some stamina.

Hodgson, however, is a big fan of Barkley and has included him in every England squad since the 2014 World Cup.

Andros Townsend, seen as perhaps Barkley's main rival for an England place, has been in fine form despite Newcastle's relegation and has a decent record at international level. But it seems his upturn in performances have come just too late to turn Hodgson's head.

I don't necessarily buy the Barkley fitness argument, I think it is more of case of him being in poor form and low on confidence.

Barkley's head does tend to drop when things are not going so well (remember Jags' half-time pep talk at Wembley) so was probably the main victim of Everton's collapse in form during the dying embers of Roberto Martinez's tenure.

He can be a match-winner on his day though and maybe a break away from Goodison is what he needs to spark his performances back into life.

Elsewhere in the squad 18-year-old Man United striker Marcus Rashford has been included to cap a remarkable few months that saw the teenager only make his senior club debut in February. Jack Wilshere, Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson are also in the travelling party despite question marks over their fitness.

England play a final warm-up game against Portugal at Wembley on Thursday before flying to France next Monday. Their opening group game of Euro 2016 is against Russia in Marseille on Saturday June 11.

England squad for Euro 2016:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

The Barkley Question via Everton Arent We

Barkley.jpg

It’s fair to say that it has been a season of highs and lows for Ross Barkley. Compare the player who took apart Southampton at the beginning of the season to the one hauled off at half-time away at Sunderland. International squad selections generate much debate and Roy Hodgson’s squad for Euro 2016 has been no different. Even now that the squad has been announced, his place in the 23-man squad secured, debates surrounding Barkley’s inclusion continue. The past season has thrown up many debates over Ross Barkley, his position, his progression and his size. They all help to decide whether he should be going to Euro 2016 or not.

A problem for many promising young players is that they have trouble finding their best position. For example, after Tom Davies cameo against Southampton, many were unable to decide whether he was a midfield destroyer or a player that could run the game from the middle of the pitch. Even after his terrific all-round performance against Norwich, people are still undecided. Barkley is the same, although with one startling reality, Tom Davies is 17 and Ross Barkley will be 23 before the end of 2016. We see it all too often in football, unharnessed potential fizzling out into mediocrity.

This is one point with which the failings of the management need to be highlighted. It was obvious that Ross’ role within the side still needed refining and as time has passed it has become clear that rather than using a footballing brain, like Dele Alli does, Barkley’s game is much more about sporadic reactions and emotionally driven football. It is that reasoning that makes it clear he will not be a ‘number 10’, this makes it all the more baffling that he was given even less defensive responsibility at a time he should have been nurtured towards more of a box-to-box midfield role. Barkley cannot be blamed for the coaching he has received and can only act as he has been instructed. Even with this coaching, he has managed to record his most personally successful season to date.

Then there are the claims about his weight, which seem to have become something of a bandwagon issue. @EvertonMusings, with his love for a good stat, came up with a significant one concerning Ross’ Body Mass Index (for those who never used a WiiFit, it’s the thing that basically puts your weight and height in proportion and gauges if you are at a healthy weight). Barkley’s BMI is 21.2, slap bang in the middle of what is considered a healthy weight (18.5-24.9 is the ideal range for most adults by the way). More significantly, his BMI is considerably lower than players such as Payet (25.1), Shaqiri (25.2) and Romelu Lukaku (26.0). Yes his increase in muscle mass may be hindering his playing-style to a degree, but he is by no means overweight. If he is to become a box-to-box midfielder, akin to Yaya Toure in his prime, then some added muscle may aid that. However, before such a fitness plan had been drawn up, surely it would make more sense to introduce him to the role tactically?

Barkley-England.jpg

Barkley is obviously a confidence player and his emotional ties to Everton, though they may benefit him at times, have proven to be an almighty crutch in recent months. From a personal point of view, it’s pretty easy to see just how much this could affect the Wavertree-born Evertonian. Watching Everton lose isn’t fun and it has ruined many a weekend, taking part in those losses and sharing a proportion of the blame for the failings of the club you’ve supported would be demoralising for anyone. Some may argue against that with the notion that Barkley isn’t a child anymore, he’s a 22 year old man with 140 appearances for Everton and 22 international caps. Should he really need to be told by his captain during a semi-final that the fans aren’t booing him? While he may not be about to pick up his PhD in rocket science, he is by no means stupid.

After the defeat of Bournemouth in this year’s FA Cup, Barkley’s post-match interview showed evidence of a player progressing intellectually as well as physically. His articulate answers were a stark difference from the interviews he had given the year before. Even David Moyes, sat in the BBC studio, highlighted how much Barkley had improved verbally. Although, if Kevin Sheedy is to be believed, that may be due to the fact that Moyes spoke to him very rarely. Anyway, since that Bournemouth game, Barkley’s form has tailed off, let be honest though, the same can be said of the entire squad. There has been a tendency to protect Barkley from this overall criticism, but if Barkley is to show his credentials as a future Everton captain, maybe it is time to stop shielding him from responsibility.

Then there are the stats. This was Barkley’s best season in an Everton shirt and by quite some way, with 8 goals and 8 assists. Purely on stats he is a must for the squad. One stat that has been overlooked somewhat can be found when examining the English midfielders with the highest totals of goals and assists, his total of 16 was only beaten by Deli Alli, who ended the season on 19. Speaking of Dele Alli, his emergence has definitely not helped Ross. A younger attacking midfielder who has hit the ground running, even helping to instigate Spurs’ title challenge, was always going to impact negatively on Ross Barkley. Comparisons in football are unavoidable and this is one that takes almost no effort to put together. However the comparison does seem flawed, Barkley and Alli are evidently very different players. Alli is definitely a ‘number 10’ whereas Ross is as his best when he is driving forward from the centre of midfield, so a comparison between the two seems rather moot. They’re both players with potential, just very different potential.

So, should he be going? Some argue that he is a player that gives England an added option, something of an X-factor. Others may question his inclusion on the basis of his consistently poor form since February. Personally, I think he has done enough, just. One thing is for sure, it’ll undoubtedly be an important stage of his development. Ross cannot look at his selection and think “phew, I’ve done enough” he should be thinking “I was almost jibbed off there, I need to step up.”

Which way he goes remains to be seem, but if he would have been left behind it would have been exactly the same story. It may have proved the kick up the arse that Barkley needed, or it could have killed off his confidence irreparably. This experience of scrutiny will be one that has chastened Barkley, hopefully he comes out the other side a better player for it.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

How To Get The Fans On Side via Everton Arent We

Supporter.jpg

We’re at that time of year that normally features a collective feeling of despondency and sadness that the football season is over. Enduring those couple of months, which seem like an eternity, before we get Everton back properly again. The Euro’s are filling that summer void I suppose.

It’s different this time though isn’t it?

Like the majority of you, I couldn’t wait for the season to end. I’ve seen far worse Everton sides, teams that almost got relegated for example, but this season just felt the pits. Others have analysed and pinpointed where it went wrong in other articles far better than I could, so I will not add anymore to what has already been said. It’s time to look forward.

At the time of writing we have no manager and social media, as always, is awash with rumours and opinions. Personally, I look the the shortlist and I’m neither excited nor downbeat about it. I’ve decided whoever it is, I’ll go along with the ride. For the first time in a LONG time, whoever takes charge will be significantly backed in the transfer market. Reason enough to try and feel some excitement after a season which broke our collective spirit.

But this appointment is important for so many reasons. The new majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri will want to make a statement and want to see his investment returned. Also, in what is being determined as the first season in a new era, it is vital that the new manager gets a good season under his belt. But what does he need to do to make sure it is a successful start?

Of course, you don’t need me or anyone else writing about Everton to point out what’s needed. We all know we want a more balanced team that can defend properly. We all know we need a new keeper and we all know that we need to sort the Lukaku/striker situation out. That’s all stating the obvious. However here are a few things that the manager could, or rather, must do to get off to a good start and win fans over…

Play with Intensity

The most important. Many have commented on that QPR game in 14/15, when at 3-0 up, a pass back resulted in booing from some of our fans. Although the team was winning, the dissension from supporters came from what was perceived as a laboured and slow performance. This methodical approach continued and left supporters frustrated.

I am of the belief that certain football teams must play with a certain style in order to maintain that club’s tradition and to keep fans happy. United fans want attacking football with width. Newcastle fans always talk for the need to be entertained. West Ham want the ‘West Ham way’ whatever that is. I’ve come to realise that Everton fans want intensity. Skill and talent but complimented with effort and graft. A strong tackle is cheered as much as a goal at Goodison and we haven’t seen many recently.

Nothing gets the Goodison crowd going more than a ferocious challenge from someone who is part of a spirited team. Our title winning teams of the past comprised of this tough tackling approach, but also had sublime skill and craft. It’s in the nature of Everton. Whoever comes in must install this to win fans over.

Rooney.jpg

Consider Rooney

A contentious issue amongst our support, but rumblings of Wayne’s return have cropped up again recently. I was very surprised last season at the reception Rooney received during Duncan Ferguson’s testimonial and from what I heard at the time, the apprehensive Rooney was also shocked at the warm applause from all sides of Goodison. Some want him nowhere near a blue shirt again, others would have him back in heartbeat.

His performance against us in the FA Cup semi-final was one of the most mature, tactical and intelligent displays from him ever. I think it would be a no-brainer if he was willing to return. Rooney’s presence would if anything, enhance the likes of Ross Barkley. If the chance is there, the new manager has to consider it. He’s going the Euro’s and he will want a chance in two years to captain England in a world cup. He’s got to prove he is up for that. He’s done everything there is to do at United now, the opportunity to win silverware at his boyhood club may be something he couldn’t turn down. It could of course be no more than speculation, but surely if the opportunity presented itself, no prospective new manager would turn down the chance to work with the quality of Wayne Rooney.

Play the Kids

Now this a must. I wrote an article some time ago about our impressive youth setup. Believe me, we have a wealth of potential in the academy. We all saw how impressive Tom Davies, Jonjoe Kenny and Kieran Dowell performed against Norwich. The new manager has to embrace these emerging talents.

One of the things I liked about Martinez was that he ensured there was the right development structure at Finch Farm in order for youngsters to progress into the first team. If a new manager discards that, all the work of the academy staff would be a waste. It is vital we continue to have a productive youth setup. We have some very good senior pro’s at Everton. We may add one or two more to the squad during the summer. Hopefully they can blend with the vibrancy of our youth, it could only be positive.

David Unsworth spoke at the end of last season that the new manager would be a very lucky man to inherit the setup at Everton. The aforementioned youngsters who played against Norwich proves that the new gaffer has some excellent potential to work with.

Deulofeu-1.jpg

Get the best out of Geri

I love Deulofeu. I love his maverick style, I love how he is something different. If I was under the age of 10, he’d be the name I’d have on the back of my shirt. Whilst there is a big place for functional players who get you results, for me football has always been about those players who excite by doing the extra-ordinary. Someone who doesn’t follow ‘the rules’.

He’ll mature as a footballer with age and will only improve, but he is the one eccentric I don’t think we’ve had properly since Kanchelskis. Of course he has a long way to go before he reaches Kanchelskis’ level, but get Geri doing bits on the field again and we have a world beater on our hands.

With a bit more maturity I firmly believe Deulofeu could have a massive impact on our immediate future. That requires a manager who can get consistent performances from him. He’s not quite got the ability, nor has he proven he can do it for a full season. That is the worry with him and could be a challenge for anyone coming in.

Build around Barkley

Those last few games of the season were so painful to watch that many of us wouldn’t of been bothered if we never saw some players in an Everton shirt again. Whilst the majority of anger was aimed at the manager which ultimately led to his sacking, I was shocked at how little the players got away with their sub-standard effort. It is going to take a lot for them to be forgiven for downing tools in those last few games, but a decent start and all will be forgotten.

One player I will always be bothered about if he left is our Rosco. In a season which was poor to say the least, Barkley had a very decent goals and assists record. It seems that the lad thrives off confidence and when he has it, his real qualities shine through. He does have a habit of going missing in games, but like Deulofeu, with maturity he will improve.

When that confidence is there however, it is clear he wants to dictate play and control how we perform tactically. The way Iniesta dictates play for Barcelona, controlling the game, is how I envisage Ross doing for Everton. I am not for one second saying he is as good or is like Iniesta, but as he gets older, I would love for Barkley to be the one in which our play is directed by.

What better way to make him feel 10-foot-tall by building the side around him. Make him the focus, make him the one which all others play off or through. Make him realise that he’s the biggest part of the plan we want for Everton going forward. I want Ross here for the next 10 years and I want to see the local lad winning things for Everton. If the new manager can do that and add quality around him, perhaps he can excel and exceed all potential.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back