Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton close in on £28m signing of Crystal Palace’s Yannick Bolasie via The Guardian

• Fee would match club record paid for Romelu Lukaku in 2014
• Everton also interested in Lamine Koné, Juan Mata and Rachid Ghezzal
Everton are confident of completing the signing of Yannick Bolasie after positive talks with Crystal Palace over the Democratic Republic of Congo forward.

The Merseysiders saw an £18m bid for the 27-year-old rejected on Monday but returned with an improved offer 24 hours later. That is understood to be worth up to £28m in add-ons, which would match the club record fee paid to Chelsea for Romelu Lukaku in 2014, although Palace are still negotiating how the deal would be structured.

Related: Leicester make £23m offer for Brazil forward Gabriel Barbosa

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Are we missing a trick with Leighton Baines? via GrandOldTeam

Baines-150x150.jpg

In recent years Leighton Baines has been referred to as arguably the best left back in the country, a few might even have suggested the world.

But were those opinions slightly clouded by his prowess going forward?

I’d suggest therefore that Leighton Baines was the best attacking left back in the country, not necessarily the best defensively. Leighton, in my opinion, tends too often to stand off his man – the opposing right winger. He’s never been the best at instantly closing his man down, denying him the space in which to work, tending to rely upon his athleticism and speed to get himself out of trouble.

Don’t get me wrong, Baines has been a good and loyal servant to Everton and has deserved the accolades and plaudits for his rampaging, swashbuckling surges down our left flank, particularly when linking almost telepathically with Steven Pienaar.

So what I’m offering for consideration and debate is this…

Should Everton have a re-think of the left flank area?

Should we try to forge a new left wing partnership of Baines further forward ahead of Luke Garbutt or Brendan Galloway?

Why not give the blossoming young ‘uns their chance with the experienced and attack-minded Baines ahead and he’d be there to cover them too?

My preference would be for Galloway, pity he’s gone on a season-long loan to Newcastle although that should surely benefit him. He’s tall, young, athletic and hungry and at left back with Baines ahead of him, they could cause mayhem.

Baines (still) has enough pace to play further forward, take on the opposing fullback and is a fine crosser of a ball… something we lacked at times last season. And being massively left footed, wouldn’t he offer exactly the kind of outlet that we need off that flank?

Baines has always wanted to get forward but now seems more reluctant or hesitant to do so as rampantly as in previous years… so why not change the system to suit his attacking tendencies?

Play him in a position where he can do real damage – occupying the mind of the opposition fullback, keeping him wide and opening up space in the left side channel for Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku and co to drive into at pace with serious intent.

Leighton Baines probably has at least two more good seasons in him, so I’d venture it’s not too late to try and make the most of his attacking ability.

Bayern Munich and Germany did just this kind of exercise with Philip Lahm and that worked out pretty well – so why can’t Everton do the same with Leighton Baines and in the process give either Garbutt or Galloway the chance to battle it out for the starting role at left back?

Cheers,

AndyC (formerly Blockhead)

The post Are we missing a trick with Leighton Baines? appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Four Premier League clubs interested in Oumar Niasse via Royal Blue Mersey

513869146.0.jpg

Crystal Palace, Hull City, Sunderland and West Brom want the Everton flop.

According to the Mirror, Crystal Palace are not the only side interested in a move for Everton flop Oumar Niasse.

The forward is expected to leave Goodison Park this summer after failing to impress since joining in the January transfer window.

Ronald Koeman has not used him throughout pre-season, while he has also failed to hand him a squad number ahead of the new season.

Crystal Palace emerged as a possible destination this week, with reports suggesting he could be heading to Selhurst Park as part of the Blues big money move for Yannick Bolasie.

However, it appears that they are not the only side interested in his services as three other Premier League clubs are keen on his signature.

According to the Mirror, Hull City, Sunderland and West Bromwich Albion are all considering a move for the forward.

They report that Niasse is determined to ensure his next move is the right one as he looks to get his career back on track.

He is stalling on a move to Crystal Palace as he fears he could find himself on the bench in London.

Poll

Will Oumar Niasse stay in the Premier League this summer?

• Yes
  • No

0 votes | Results

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Confirmed: Ashley Williams Signs via GrandOldTeam

williamssigns-150x150.jpg

Everton have confirmed the signing of Ashley Williams.

The 31-year-old central defender, who captained Wales in their march to the Euro 2016 semi-finals, has signed a three-year deal to June 2019.

Williams said: “I’ve had eight great years at Swansea and, for me, the new challenge was something I felt I needed, so I’m delighted to have joined Everton.

“Everton is a great club with an unbelievable manager – a world legend in football – and I believe the Club is going in the right direction. This is something I wanted to be a part of.

“I look forward to seeing what the manager’s plans are for me and the team. He’s been one of the greatest centre-halves to ever play the game, so I look forward to learning from him and seeing what he can teach me.

“I really can’t wait to get out there at Goodison. I’ve always enjoyed playing on the Goodison pitch, so it will be nice to be an Everton player and experience what it’s all about when I’m part of the home team.

“This is always a noisy place with a crowd that gets behind the team. As an away player – I’ve scored at Goodison and in my career I haven’t scored many goals – it’s a difficult place to play.

“What Everton fans can expect of me is an honest player, a hard-working player who will try to do as good as I can for my teammates and the Club. I’m not always perfect but I always have the right intentions and I try to leave it all out there on the pitch.

“I’m excited about meeting my new teammates, staff and focussing on the season ahead. Personal thanks to Ronald Koeman, Steve Walsh, Everton Chairman Bill Kenwright and my representatives at New Era Global Sports for making this fantastic opportunity possible.

“Obviously, Swansea was very memorable for me and I would like to thank every single fan, my former and current teammates and all of the Swansea family for their unconditional support and friendship. I wish everyone at Swansea all the best for the future and they will always hold a special place in my heart.”

Ronald Koeman said: “We wanted to bring in a strong player in the central defence position, a player who knows the Premier League and Ashley fits the bill for us very well.

“He is an experienced defender and the kind of player we need in the team. He is a leader. He showed this at Swansea and he has shown it for his country and he is looking forward to his new challenge here at Everton.”

The post Confirmed: Ashley Williams Signs appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton sign Wales captain Ashley Williams from Swansea City via The Guardian

• 31-year-old central defender signs three-year contract at Goodison Park
• ‘Everton is a great club with an unbelievable manager, a legend in football’
Everton have signed the Swansea City and Wales captain Ashley Williams for an undisclosed fee, believed to be £11m, on a three-year contract with the defender saying he has joined “a great club with an unbelievable manager – a world legend in football”.

Related: Everton close in on £28m signing of Crystal Palace’s Yannick Bolasie

Related: Premier League 2016-17 season preview No16: Swansea City | Michael Butler

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back