Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukaku talks about his Everton future via Royal Blue Mersey

541034556.0.jpg

Striker turned down Juventus to stay on Merseyside

Nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and Romelu Lukaku speaking to the media about his future during an international break.

This is something as Everton fans we have become well used to and his oft-controversial statements barely register on Toffee fans’ panic-meters anymore.

During this current round of international fixtures, Lukaku chose to speak about why he stayed with the Blues during the just-concluded trasnfer window, the experience of being coached by former Premier League star striker Thierry Henry with Belgium and also whether he would sign a new deal at Goodison Park or not.

Speaking with Belgian paper Het Nieuwsblad, he said –

“It stings a little [not being in European competition], but I'm someone who believes that everything happens for a reason.

“Otherwise I would have gone to Juventus instead of staying at Everton. But I opted for Everton because it was too early for Italy and I have not done badly here.

“Now we have a new coach and it is completely different than with Mr [Roberto] Martinez, but I think we can make progress under Ronald Koeman. It may be the last step and then look further.

“I knew of the interest of a few clubs, it was quickly very clear that Everton would not let me go. It was important to me that I remained calm, and I did. I said to myself that I will do my best and who knows what will happen in the future.”

On the subject of a new deal –

"You'll have to ask Mino (Raiola, his agent).

"I tell Mino how I think about it, and eventually we have to make a decision that is best for me. For me football is not about the money.

"I want to win prizes. But when I get into a situation where I can leave but my team will not let me, I'm not one to go absent, get fined and cultivate a negative reputation.

"I try to remain calm and treat my club with respect. Hopefully they can treat me also with respect and I can leave through the main gate.

"I will not quarrel with Everton."

He also raised some interesting light on new Belgium manager Roberto Martinez’s time at Everton –

"In the three years we have worked together, Ross Barkley and I were the ones with whom he worked most of the training.

"He asked us to stay longer because he believed in our potential. Not that we are already there or anything, but he knows perfectly where I can improve and he will also say.

"He is very direct with other players. Everything is very clear and everyone knows what to do on the pitch. I think that's positive for the rest of the team."

When asked about the differences between Martinez as club manager and as national team coach, he made a not-so-subtle dig at the Blues’ squad deficiencies last season –

"Here he has a choice of top players. In central defence he has Jan (Vertonghen), Toby (Alderweireld), Thomas (Vermaelen), Vincent (Kompany) and others I forget.

"Ditto in midfield and up front. He knows that if you do not do well, he still has someone else. You can see that the level goes straight up, because he is not afraid to take a player from the team.

"He is offensive, but that does not mean he gives you complete freedom.

"He gives clear guidelines that you have to walk. Not like Marc Wilmots, which you could do in the last thirty meters what you wanted.

"Now we have certain tasks that we have to do in the last thirty meters to break through the defense. It takes a lot of time and energy to understand what the coach wants."

He also talked about the experience of working with former France and Arsenal striker Thierry Henry, who he calls ‘Monsieur Henry’

"It's a mark of respect. He's really with us and isn't distant. Sometimes he comes to drink tea or play PlayStation with us.

"He asks a lot, but that's what we need. He's good at communicating and makes himself heard.

"Concentration and effort are his staples. It's a plus to have him with us. I can assure you we listen when he speaks."

He finished off by remarking that he was very close to full fitness after incurring a heel injury in the pre-season –

"Another two weeks I think. I had a longer break than the rest. When I returned I immediately joined with all the rest of the squad but during a friendly match against Espanyol a player landed with his studs right in my Achilles tendon.

"I had a deep wound, there are six or seven stitches. I could do nothing. I came back and could not play right away and that was not the best for me. I have to bite my lip for another two weeks. It will be fine.

"I feel good, but I miss some sharpness. I do not burn like in my second year at Everton. Then I had to wait three or four months before I got to the right level. I do not want it to happen again."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Ross Barkley needs to match the consistency of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard in order to become a top player according to Gareth Barry via Daily Mail

Gareth Barry thinks Ross Barkley has 'all the ability' but needs to match the consistency of Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard if he wants to be considered as a top player.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton made a late bid for Yarmolenko via Royal Blue Mersey

541954604.0.jpg

More stories of Toffees Deadline Day futility

Now that the transfer window is firmy closed, we are hearing further instances of how Everton well and truly botched the entire Deadline Day.

First there was the Manolo Gabbiadini issue where Napoli weren’t willing to let the player go without signing his back up first. Everton had been pursuing the player, then it looked like the deal was almost done, then on deadline day first Genoa refused to sell Leonardo Pavoletti to the Neapolitans, and Manchester City transferred Wilfried Bony to Stoke City, so Napoli pulled the plug on the deal.

Then it looked like Everton were going to sign Yacine Brahimi, a puzzling move to begin with as that would have made him the Toffee’s fifth winger. But that move crashed into the rocks too as a complicated ownership issue inflated his asking price.

In the afternoon we heard that the Blues would sign Moussa Sissoko. As the evening progressed, Tottenham Hotspur made their bid, and then it turned out the player had no interest whatsoever in coming to Merseyside and went to London instead. What was even more bizarre was an apparent statement from majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri to a Sky Sports reporter saying that the Blues would never have signed the player anyway over keeping James McCarthy.

And today, the Liverpool Echo are reporting that Everton had made a late, late bid to sign a favorite old target Andriy Yarmolenko. ‘Yarmo’, as Blues have fondly taken to calling the Ukrainian forward, has been a persistent topic of chatter for easily about the last half a dozen transfer windows, what with the player’s agent taking selfies at Goodison and the mercurial president Ihor Surkis of Dynamo Kiev accepting bids and rejecting bids just about every time.

“Everton submitted a bid for Yarmolenko one hour and 15 minutes prior to the deadline.

“I was satisfied with the transfer price but we did not have time to even draw up a contract.

“I was satisfied with the offer as long as Andriy was. Transfer bids cannot be submitted that late.”

We would beg to differ, since it seems quite a few last minute deals are usually done at just that, the last minute. It does provide Kiev with a handy excuse to decline, and continues to highlight the absolute shambles that the Everton transfers dealings were on Deadline Day.

Here is Everton’s depth chart and tactical breakdown post the transfer window, and also a scouting report on loan signing Enner Valencia and what he will provide the team.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Barkley to get new improved contract via Royal Blue Mersey

589071648.0.jpg

Toffees looking to secure star for the long-term

One England manager after another can continue to ignore the talents of Ross Barkley in the middle of the park, but Everton manager Ronald Koeman is doing exactly what he needs to do.

The Daily Mail are reporting that the Blues will be offering the young midfielder a new improved contract to replace his current deal that runs until the end of the 2017-18 season.

Per the piece from journalist Dominic King –

… Everton, who have been in constant dialogue with Barkley’s advisors, see him as having a key role to play in their future and are looking to reward the progress he has made and his standing within the squad.

Koeman got six new players added to the squad during the summer transfer window, and will now be moving into the next phase of his Everton development project, with critical players like Barkley and Romelu Lukaku in line for new contracts.

Media reports from the summer of 2014 when Barkley signed his current contract stated that his weekly salary had then doubled to £60,000 a week plus bonuses for a four-year term.

It is expected the new long-term contract will be closer to the £100,000 a week to match the growing stature of the player, but no reports of that have been leaked so far.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Ross Barkley needs to match consistency of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard to be a top player, says Gareth Barry via Daily Mail

Gareth Barry thinks Ross Barkley has 'all the ability' but needs to match the consistency of Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard if he wants to be considered as a top player.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back