Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kone a surprise mentor for Browning as he recovers via Royal Blue Mersey

494574558.0.jpg

Young defender has been out for over ten months

Young defender Tyias Browning had featured for the Everton senior side six times last season, including a Merseyside Derby start at right back, before a bad knee injury in early December knocked him out for the rest of the footballing year.

Since that time, the player has seen another youngster Mason Holgate jump ahead of him in the pecking order with a series of assured performances at both right back and as a centerback, but don’t forget Browning because he will be back with a vengeance.

This is the same player that current Under-23s coach David Unsworth had this to say about, in October 2015

"He's a old-fashioned defender who absolutely loves defending.

"In an age where the modern defender wants to come out with the ball, join in with the midfield and get forward, Tyias is an out-and-out defender.

"His pace and power are his obvious massive plus-points and strengths. If you can't beat him with pace, you can't outmuscle him either. When you are as big and strong as Tyias, it takes a lot to get past him; an unbelievable amount of skill – or luck!"

Browning has been steadily improving in his knee rehabilitation, and has resumed running since June but is still undergoing many hours of physical therapy before he can complete his comeback. He spoke to evertontv about the process –

“I am at the stage now where I have just got to be careful. That way I can make sure I come back in good enough shape.

“The knee feels good at the minute but I am just going day-by-day. I have to make sure it is 100 per cent for when I get back playing.

“Each day, I come in and ‘activate’ it with certain specific exercises. But the physios monitor me constantly and they have helped me a lot.”

His easygoing nature has helped him during his recovery –

“I had the operation a couple of days after I found out about the injury. That was the beginning of a long road. It has been nearly 10 months since the operation. I had never been injured before, even growing up as a kid, so to get hit with a nine-to-12 month injury was the worst feeling I have ever had.

“At first it was mentally challenging and don’t get me wrong, it still is now. I was on crutches for two months and that was tough.

“Watching the games was hard as well. You want to be playing. You see instances where you could have had an opportunity and it is frustrating. I never stopped watching though – I have just become even more of an Everton fan! I don’t like watching other teams because that makes we want to play. But I will always watch Everton.”

He also spoke of the influence of his teammates, especially forward Arouna Kone who recovered from a knee injury too –

“Arouna Kone had a similar operation so he has been helping me on the road to recovery – I use Arouna as my guide!

“He’s always giving me little ideas on exercises to try and things like that. But the whole team have helped keep my spirits up.

“I have had a lot of messages on social media from fans as well. When I go to games they always ask me when I am back. They have always been positive and I want to thank them for that.

“It will be a special moment when I am back out there, and I can’t wait. I’m going to be so rusty though!”

While the average age of the Everton backline got a little older this preseason with the addition of Wales captain Ashley Williams, the future continues to remain bright for the youngsters that will eventually form the defence in the future.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Youngster says choosing Everton a ‘no-brainer’ via Royal Blue Mersey

490157028.0.jpg

England U-20 international speaks to evertontv

Forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin was Everton’s first official signing on deadline day last week, but was quickly forgotten as the Toffees were linked with (and later spurned by) other big names for the senior squad.

However, a debut goal for the England Under-20s (against Brazil no less) during the international break has Blues talking about the 19-year-old again.

Debutant Dominic Calvert-Lewin pulls a goal back for our Under-20s, who now trail Brazil 2-1 in Kidderminster https://t.co/ja1hX3DwXD

— England (@England) September 4, 2016

Calvert-Lewin spoke to evertontv about his decision to switch from Sheffield United to the Everton from what he’s been seeing in the last year or so, picking the Blues over Manchester United –

| @CalvertLewin14 reflects on a "whirlwind" day after signing for #EFC & receiving a first international call-up. pic.twitter.com/tJDAPiztbl

— Everton (@everton) September 6, 2016

“It was a bit of a whirlwind 24 hours for me and my family.

“The move was a no-brainer for me, you’ve only got to look at the opportunities that are given to young players here. There’s also the quality of players that are here as well, you look at Mason Holgate.

“Those are things that appeal to me as a 19-year-old player, you can’t ask for more.

“Then, on top of that, England call-up was unexpected and for it to come that day of all days was brilliant – it was a great day for me.”

The youngster has previously worked under Everton Under-23s coach David Unsworth at Sheffield, with ‘Unsy’ signing the 15-year-old to an athletic scholarship.

“David Unsworth has played a massive role [in moving to Everton]. I know Unsy from at my previous club, I know what a good manager he is and he can help me improve as a player and a person.

“Obviously, hard work pays off and now I’m looking for a chance to show what I can do here.”

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Bolasie, Stones among most overpriced summer transfers via Royal Blue Mersey

455868984.0.jpg

Everton involved in some big money deals

The folks at CIES Football Observatory are well known for their number-crunching abilities. In the latest issue of their weekly post, they highlighted the top twenty over-priced transfers from this summer’s transfer window.

To some extent, this is understandable as the influx of cash in the Premier League thanks to television money has been largely responsible for the hyper-inflation of the transfer market that closed with deadline day last week.

CIES%20observations.JPG
CIES Football Observatory, Weekly Post 155

Best sales of the 2016 summer transfer window

Per the collected data and the projections from the CIES folks, Everton overpaid for winger Yannick Bolasie from Crystal Palace by £18.8m (€22.4m). Even at the time of the transfer, there were some rumblings of discontent from Blues as they heard the transfer fee in question, but Ronald Koeman wanted his man, and Alan Pardew made sure he milked Everton for everything he could.

The same happened with defender John Stones, who put in a transfer request with the Toffees. Manchester City and Pep Guardiola really wanted a ball-playing defender and Koeman made sure that the Blues stuck to their guns with their valuation of the player. In the end City had to come up with the £49m (€58.5m), which was £17m (€20.3m) over the CIES value for the youngster.

What do you think, were Everton valid in overpaying for Bolasie and in the same vein, did they hold their own when not budging in Stones’s sale?

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back