Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Interview: Maarten Stekelenburg via Official EFC

9446ce9966a142fbb47dc214d5f4184a.jpg
This interview originally appeared in the Everton v Crystal Palace match programme. Maarten Stekelenburg is casting his mind back to his early teenage years, recalling his first encounters with a lege…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Gareth Farrelly: ‘I still think all the time that I am part of the 10% that live’ via The Guardian

The midfielder whose goal kept Everton up in 1998 on dealing with the life-threatening illness that struck eight years ago, his chequered career and why he turned his back on football for a career in law
Eighteen years have passed and Gareth Farrelly has been through the wringer since, but he can still recall the “weird and surreal” day he kept Everton in the Premier League with vivid detail. It was the final afternoon of the 1997‑98 season and Howard Kendall’s team required at least a point against Coventry to survive. The boyhood Evertonian was not known for finding the net but he was there when his team’s needs were at their greatest, scoring his only league goal for the club in a 1-1 draw to keep them up and send Bolton down.

Yet such is the remarkable nature of Farrelly’s story that the significance of that one shot, the type of moment many players would declare to be their greatest, is a minor segment. The six-times Republic of Ireland international became a manager at 28 not too long after falling out with Sam Allardyce at Bolton, whom he helped to promotion having earlier relegated them, and a couple of years later prompted a change in Fifa’s transfer rules.

Related: Daniel Amokachi: ‘Football in Finland is too nice – I want to change that’

I played eight minutes football for Everton after that. I went from being a hero to playing eight minutes in 18 months

Related: Everton’s Idrissa Gueye: ‘I am a perfectionist. I don’t like losing the ball – ever’

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Koeman taught Guardiola everything he knows via NSNO

Everton boss Ronald Koeman says that it was him who taught Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola all about the Dutch way of football, and created the player (and now manager) he became.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back