Confirmed Signing Everton Sign Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

New York Times no less. Very well written article. I've copied one really interesting part which appears at the end. Full article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/...ney-returns-to-everton-manchester-united.html

"Rooney, from the moment he emerged, almost fully formed, as a 16-year-old, has received as much scrutiny from the front pages of the news media as the sports sections, more than any English player since David Beckham. He is as much a celebrity as he is an athlete, exposed to a spotlight possessed of a much harsher glare.

That he is not perceived to have aged as gracefully as Beckham, slowly attaining national treasure status, is worth examining. Beckham’s looks helped him, of course, along with his style and his cool and his apparent inability to put a foot wrong in the building of his brand.

And at times, Rooney has not helped himself: the tawdry youthful indiscretions, the unseemly contract brinkmanship, the occasional on-field outburst at his own supporters, as at the 2010 World Cup.

But much of the scorn he has attracted — and that has, unfairly, slowly eroded his status — had its roots somewhere else: in his roots. England is a country hidebound by class, trapped in a web of nuance and presumption. Beckham, like Rooney, was born of working-class stock, but his was the right kind: aspirational, smiling, petit bourgeois, of the affluent South East.

Rooney was different. Where Beckham was of the suburbs close to the capital, Rooney came from the housing projects not just in the north, but in Liverpool, a city that takes great pride in standing apart from the rest of the country.

He is bright and pleasant — and, increasingly, searingly frank — in person, but in his early interviews, he was crushingly shy. It created an unfair stereotype to fit an unspoken prejudice: the thick kid from Croxteth, brains in his feet and nowhere else.

Like Beckham, Rooney never delivered glory for his country. Like Beckham, he has been criticized and condemned, fiercely, for long stretches of his career. But unlike Rooney, Beckham was never sneered at for his fame and his fortune. Somehow, he was perceived as deserving his wealth in a way that Rooney was not.

That Rooney endured all that and still achieved all he has is to his immense credit. He returns to Everton a record-breaker and a history-maker, one of the most decorated players of his generation. If the move is a little nostalgic, perhaps that is no bad thing. Rooney deserves the chance to be missed a little, before he is gone".

I wouldn't really call the house and street Rooney grew up in "the housing projects" but other than that the writer makes a very perceptive point.

IMG_0057.webp

sky sports ... bbc sport ... it is all everton + rooney, trending all day yesterday was a massive move off the field. i hope so much it is big on it. i think it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back