Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

I would question how much more useful DCL is than Beto right now.

I would question whether we have actually seen enough of Beto to accurately write him off as crap. And if he is indeed crap, we should be selling him and hoping to get our money back.

I would question how anyone expects Chermiti to progress if he only gets one start every fifteen games.

Selling DCL for £30m gets you £30m profit.

To get £30m profit on Beto you'd need to sell him for £50m, which isn't happening.

To get £30m profit on Chermiti you'd need to sell him for £40m: also not happening.

If someone wants to give us £70m for Onana then ok, that changes things... But how likely is that? I'd say £30m for DCL is more likely than £70m for Onana at the moment.

We may be wise to sell Onana & Beto if those combined fees hit £100mil. Add in a Maupay, Doucoure and a Keane and theres a good chunk there to put on the books and bring some players in.

We may be wise to sell Onana & Beto if those combined fees hit £100mil. Add in a Maupay, Doucoure and a Keane and theres a good chunk there to put on the books and bring some players in.
Onana can go. Cash raised will be of more use than waiting for him to achieve this perceived potential.

But for clarity, im not saying we shouldnt sell DCL, if the right offer comes in.

But the idea that we have a ready made replacement in Beto and Chermo is a bit silly.

Both might prove to be decent players, but currently, DCL is vastly better in every single way than both of them.
Vastly?

DCL has played twice as many minutes as Beto and scored twice as many goals. That's not "vastly better". It is in fact proportionally identical.

I'm not saying DCL is a bad player. I'm not saying Beto (or Chermiti) is "better". I'm simply pointing out that:

- we are in financial bother
- any fee raised from selling DCL is pure profit
- DCL is the oldest of the three strikers (no, Maupay doesn't count because he's going anyway)
- DCL and Beto have near identical minutes per goal stats

DCL is unfortunately not going to get any better than he is currently. I simply don't think he's as important to the club's future as Pickford or Branthwaite is.

If someone comes in at £70m for Onana then great, sell him and Beto. But even then, we'll still be talking about selling one of DCL, Pickford or Branthwaite NEXT year, and the answer's still the same.

If we want to get out of the financial mire we need to keep buying the DCLs and Branthwaites of this world for less than £10m and getting five or six good seasons out of them before selling them on for big money at 27 years old.

Or we can stay in the mire.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back