Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

How are Nottingham Forest allowed to spend so much this season, as I remember it they were found to be more in excess of PSR regs than us.
Our mate Textor lashed them 60m for 2 rubbish players.

Income23€89.30m
Expenditure19€96.50m
Overall balance€-7.20m

What's Dyche on about?

View attachment 271224

Sauce:

These are just quotes from Thursdays presser. He also said they’d be sitting down monitoring any possibilities right up to the deadline and there would be no point doing that if there was no money/possibility.

I mean, we probably are done for the day, but this isn’t something he’s said today.

I'm not arguing that CB didn't need attention. Just that it didn't require immediate attention. It only required attention if certain things happened, as you quite rightly said, Branthwaite leaving would've required a new CB. Tarkowski being out injured for a while would've required a new CB.

Succession planning is something we can't really afford to do, in my opinion. With very little to spend, it's a luxury. If we don't become more threatening in attack and score more goals this season, I believe we will go down. I don't think it's wild to suggest we have the worst attack in the division (again). If that isn't addressed in these remaining hours of the window, ,maybe we won't go down but we'll almost certainly be down the bottom fighting with the rest of them.

Given that O'Brien doesn't start ahead of either Branthwaite or Tarkowski when fit, I expect the O'Brien signing isn't going to be what has kept us up, if that plays out. Priorities all wrong, again, even if O'Brien might prove to be an astute signing down the line. It won't matter if we're not in the Premier League, will it?
In our position, succession planning is absolutely vital.

The point isn't "who are our best two CBs". The point is do we have a group of CBs which can withstand an injury or two, or a loss of form, without it being catastrophic? Prior to O'Brien coming in, the answer was definitely "no".

Yes we need to upgrade our attack (and midfield). Yes we're short of cash. Therefore shifting dead wood is a priority - every week that Gomes and Ali sat in the stands last season we got worse because they were draining our finances. Keane and Holgate are doing the same thing right now but we had to bring in a viable alternative so that we don't start shipping huge numbers of goals because we're forced to start Keane or Holgate.

Doesn't matter if we score an extra goal or two per game if we regularly concede three or four. As it stands, Ndiaye looks an upgrade at either 10 or out wide so that should see an improvement in terms of goals and assists. Iroegbunam also looks to be a net positive in that regard. Yes we need more, of course. But we don't need those gains erased by Keane essentially throwing the ball past Pickford in 15 games this season.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back