Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Who’s Kevin Denkey?
42AA3F8A-8538-4308-B7EA-36D342008B53.jpeg

Wenkey Denkey?
Yer havin a laugh…

DCL has been free of major injuries for well over a year so I'd imagine he'd had belief and confidence in himself to be past the worst seeing as how he played 33 of 38 league games last season compared to about 50% of games the previous 2 years.

Any player could get injured at any time, that's the sport, but I doubt he'll sign the first contract that comes his way based on "what if worst case scenario happens to me" any more than any other player would. We've offered Coleman contracts when he's been injured, so it's not a wild leap to say we could very do the same for a lad who has been here 8 seasons and has been part of the 'Everton family' since his late teens.
Fair enough, maybe he is truly past it all, but he will know how he feels in the morning or after training. He’ll know how much physio work goes into just getting onto the pitch at the weekend (I don’t know what is or isn’t but there’s always been suggestions he’s very much got to follow a specific program).

More than anything he’ll understand better than most players the precariousness of a football career having been in danger of losing his over that two year spell. I still think he would be very well advised to secure his and his family’s future this summer by signing a long term contract wherever that may be.

Fair enough, maybe he is truly past it all, but he will know how he feels in the morning or after training. He’ll know how much physio work goes into just getting onto the pitch at the weekend (I don’t know what is or isn’t but there’s always been suggestions he’s very much got to follow a specific program).

More than anything he’ll understand better than most players the precariousness of a football career having been in danger of losing his over that two year spell. I still think he would be very well advised to secure his and his family’s future this summer by signing a long term contract wherever that may be.
I think he is also signed onto one of those big fancy sports agencies now and they will push for the max wherever which is possibly going to be more than we could afford, especially with another high earner in Doucoure on the books.

I think he is also signed onto one of those big fancy sports agencies now and they will push for the max wherever which is possibly going to be more than we could afford, especially with another high earner in Doucoure on the books.
Yeah the agency is a concern. Like I say I think in his circumstances the best advice is to sign something but a less personalised agency might not give that advice. As you say they’ll also probably want him to be our top earner just to discuss it and given his lack of productivity over the last few years I’d have questions about that from an Everton perspective. A tricky one.

I remember him walking off in the derby and you just knew there was no way he was going to be able to play again at the weekend because he’d put so much into it. It’s how you’d think about Coleman or when Duncan was doing it in his mid 30s it’s not how you expect to think about a player at his peak.

Another mina for me alot of injuries and well not even as good of a defender. I am interested see what type of profile club will be looking at for cb the lad from boro maybe was linked early in the window van den berg.
I couldn't make my mind up last season if he was actually up to PL level just yet, there is a player there but he is prone to lapses in concentration.

And if his legs pack it in like they have 2 of the last 3 seasons, what offers does he have on the table then? IMO he should take whatever fat contract he can get this summer while the going's good, whether that's here or elsewhere.

Agree mate.

We've offered him a great contract, he would be the best paid player at the club. We cant do any more and i think he would struggle to get that elsewhere and i also think he will struggle elsewhere - he's a good striker, not an elite striker. He will regret moving from here if he does in my opinion.

I actually would be a bit concerned about the high wages we would give him and his injuries, being very cold, he was blighted with injuries from 25-27 - that's not likely to improve as he heads towards his 30s.

Agree mate.

We've offered him a great contract, he would be the best paid player at the club. We cant do any more and i think he would struggle to get that elsewhere and i also think he will struggle elsewhere - he's a good striker, not an elite striker. He will regret moving from here if he does in my opinion.

I actually would be a bit concerned about the high wages we would give him and his injuries, being very cold, he was blighted with injuries from 25-27 - that's not likely to improve as he heads towards his 30s.
Good post mate.
I like him and always backed him, but I wouldn't pay those wages.
His injuries as a worry and going forwards are not getting any better.
Take some replacing, but he either signs the contact quickly or we move him out quickly so we can get someone in.

Good post mate.
I like him and always backed him, but I wouldn't pay those wages.
His injuries as a worry and going forwards are not getting any better.
Take some replacing, but he either signs the contact quickly or we move him out quickly so we can get someone in.

Same here mate.

Has to be that way, believe the contract is three years, with an option of a fourth - he would be the best player at the club. I think that is a very fair deal weighing it all up in terms of what we have given him, him us and his injuries. Its also backing his health going forward - which is questionable.

If he wont accept that, we move on. I agree he will be tricky to replace - mostly due to our circumstances, but not impossible, but 2 of his 7 goals were pens last season - can we replace his 7 goals and 5 from open play last season? - its not impossible. 45 other players scored more then him in the league last season. Is that record worth the contract............its debatable.

I think he really struggles elsewhere.

Agree mate.

Don’t envy the club with this one tbh. If we sell him people will be unhappy. If he winds down his contract people will be angry we didn’t sell him. If he renews people will be happy but if he breaks down again months into a lucrative 4 year deal the same people will want heads on a spike because they should’ve known that would happen.

Personally I’d take the money if money is on offer, but you need a buyer and a player ready to move. Most importantly we need clarity quickly.

Agree mate.

If DCL was available as a [non-injured] free transfer next summer, he would almost certainly secure a higher contract than what we are likely to have offered him, based on our current pay structure (many clubs pay a lot more than the £100-120k bracket the likes of Gomes/Mina/Dele were in).

As a free agent, at 28 years old, in his peak years, it's entirely possible the likes of a Spurs or Newcastle or Chelsea or Villa would be keen to take him (possibly even an Arsenal or United at a stretch), and considering there's no transfer fee to pay, could very easily offer him £120k/150k/160k when you factor in the signing fee incorporated into the wages. These clubs all generate more revenue than we do so it's not a bank-breaking number for them to pay to a free agent.

This could be DCL's last chance to go to a club which will have regular European football, will be in the mix for trophies etc, and so he might be perfectly happy to be a squad player, playing every other week at one of the top clubs who -if he wasn't on a free- might never be interested in him.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.