Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be offering Christian Eriksen a massive deal for two years. He's still at the top of his game and would be a gigantic improvement on what we already have.

Offer to make him the highest paid player in our history and see what he says. He's obviously not been swept away by any offers made to him so far. Insurance would obviously ensure we wouldn't be left paying him millions if something bad were to happen to him, but he's proven his fitness for Brentford and it would literally be a risk-free signing.

Give him Sigurdsson's wages and see what he's got to say about that.

He's a genuine £30m player at the age of 30 (I think), available for absolutely nothing. Surely he should be right at the top of our list.
I dont think he'll be short on massive offers, but I defo agree with you - he can boost our finishing position by 3-5 places probably just on his set pieces alone

Yeah, you look at Lingard and he'll probably want, say, 6 mil a year over 3 years plus a big signing on fee, let's say that's 20mil over 3 years.

Or you sign someone like Lewis-Potter for initial 16m, pay him 3 mil a year, that's 25mil cost over the same period, maybe a little more in add ons if it goes well, but that would be a good thing.

But the difference is that Lingard you can never recoup a penny because at 30+ on high wages there's little to no sell on value, whereas KLP you have a player with a 16m value which you could in the future recoup some or all of, or make a significant profit on. It's like the difference between renting and owning a home.

Maybe you make the argument in favour of Lingard if he's a much better player (is he?) but economically there's no argument for signing him rather than a KLP type.
I think that is my problem with Lingaard - the upside doesn't seem that great for the club and the downside is another wage drain.

I'd hope the club consider the contract as a whole - A free agent demanding 150k a week Vs a 10m transfer on 80k a week still comes to about the same over a few years.

The major difference is whose pockets the money goes in and when.
Lingard on a 3 year deal on 150k a week (plus say...2 mil signing on fee) = 25.4million (8.4 million a year)
Keane Lewis Potter on a 5 year deal on 60k a week (plus 20m fee, not all upfront) = 35.6 million (7.1 million a year),

That not including what you could receive back in transfer fee if we sold Lewis Potter down the line, wheras Lingard would be 33 at end of his 3 years and be worth nothing

I think that is my problem with Lingaard - the upside doesn't seem that great for the club and the downside is another wage drain.
I think a lot of clubs are doing similar sums which is why a guy who was seemingly in big demand at the end of the season is still sitting on the shelf.

The question of next season being a relegation battle or not depends on this - did Benitez massively underperform with this squad?
I think yes and he destroyed our confidence and it took Lampard a while to get it back.
I think we have a disjointed squad and need to fill a few key areas but as long as we do, we’ll have a season around midtable, hopefully seeing some youngsters like Gordon kick on.

I agree with this sentiment in a pre-Richarlison world. I think with him gone it's a different story. I think we are on a knife edge now, and forgive me for stating the obvious, how we respond to his exit in the transfer market is gonna be key.

Unfortunately something had to budge. I was hoping it could be DCL rather than Richy. But deep down knew it was more likely to be the Brazilian.

I dont think he'll be short on massive offers, but I defo agree with you - he can boost our finishing position by 3-5 places probably just on his set pieces alone

I'd ask him to think of a number and offer him 30k on top.

We need creativity and someone who can actually cross a ball

Lingard on a 3 year deal on 150k a week (plus say...2 mil signing on fee) = 25.4million (8.4 million a year)
Keane Lewis Potter on a 5 year deal on 60k a week (plus 20m fee, not all upfront) = 35.6 million (7.1 million a year),

That not including what you could receive back in transfer fee if we sold Lewis Potter down the line, wheras Lingard would be 33 at end of his 3 years and be worth nothing
Often forgotten but the 70k a weekly pay difference brings with it NIC at around 15% that weekly would cost an extra £10k which is not to be sneezed at

Looks like a good day for Brentford: Eriksen staying and they’re about to sign Keane Lewis-Potter from Hull.

Shows what is possible with a competent board of directors.
Where have you seen that he's staying? There were news about him not starting to train for next week today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back