Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have slinky designer label, its called everton football club. Once used to mean something now we are happy we better than what we have got apparently.
Unfortunately it's been a long long time since the school of science, the 80's or anything remotely close to a slinky designer label. We don't have to be happy but being realistic means getting functional players who improve the squad gradually. Getting world cup winners with no knees is not a good approach.

Unfortunately it's been a long long time since the school of science, the 80's or anything remotely close to a slinky designer label. We don't have to be happy but being realistic means getting functional players who improve the squad gradually. Getting world cup winners with no knees is not a good approach.
Ok maybe umtiti wasnt the best shout (only due to injuries) but my other shout wasnt bad though. But if tarkowski improves the squad gradually he will be retired by the time having him in the squad helps, can we agree throwing money at aging players who will eventually leave for free and we get nothing back at all a good approach financially? Or we throw money at someone who is 5 years younger (on a free) and potentially sell him in the future.

Ok maybe umtiti wasnt the best shout (only due to injuries) but my other shout wasnt bad though. But if tarkowski improves the squad gradually he will be retired by the time having him in the squad helps, can we agree throwing money at aging players who will eventually leave for free and we get nothing back at all a good approach financially? Or we throw money at someone who is 5 years younger (on a free) and potentially sell him in the future.
It all depends on the player. Tarkowski improves the squad today, a squad that almost got relegated, and wants to play. He's a good signing. Lingard could improve the squad talentwise but looks to lack any real desire to get his career back on track. He'd be a poor signing.

Zagadou has potential but isn't likely to be a top player. I haven't seen him linked to any of the big boys. Can he cut it in the premier league? We don't know. If you are likely to be in a relegation battle again who would you prefer as your first choice centre half? It's got to be Tarkowski.

Signing both - for now and for now/later - would he nice but we seem to counting pennies.

It all depends on the player. Tarkowski improves the squad today, a squad that almost got relegated, and wants to play. He's a good signing. Lingard could improve the squad talentwise but looks to lack any real desire to get his career back on track. He'd be a poor signing.

Zagadou has potential but isn't likely to be a top player. I haven't seen him linked to any of the big boys. Can he cut it in the premier league? We don't know. If you are likely to be in a relegation battle again who would you prefer as your first choice centre half? It's got to be Tarkowski.

Signing both - for now and for now/later - would he nice but we seem to counting pennies.
If I'm in a relegation battle i would pick the person who hasnt been relegated before, he was a mainstay in that Burnley team. Obviously its not all on him to win games but hes playing in one of the most important places in the team in terms of goals scored against you.

Our squad is not as bad as battling the relegation. The problem is on the balance of team. If we want to play 3 backs, we dont have decent CMs to provide creativity and defence. If we want to play 4 backs to counterattack, our defence is poor and no one can deliver good long pass…If we can fix some of the problems and have a little bit of luck, I would see we will finish in mid of table next year.

If I'm in a relegation battle i would pick the person who hasnt been relegated before, he was a mainstay in that Burnley team. Obviously its not all on him to win games but hes playing in one of the most important places in the team in terms of goals scored against you.
On that basis he kept them up loads of times. His record is good.

Anyway, I doubt we'll ever agree so there's not much point going back and forth.

Our squad is not as bad as battling the relegation. The problem is on the balance of team. If we want to play 3 backs, we dont have decent CMs to provide creativity and defence. If we want to play 4 backs to counterattack, our defence is poor and no one can deliver good long pass…If we can fix some of the problems and have a little bit of luck, I would see we will finish in mid of table next year.
Our squad literally just battled relegation and now we've lost our best player. It's not looking great at this point. I'd snatch your arm off for midtable

On that basis he kept them up loads of times. His record is good.

Anyway, I doubt we'll ever agree so there's not much point going back and forth.
Did he keep them up loads of times though? No we agree he is an upgrade on what we have, we just dont agree on transfer strategy.

Let’s say in our predicament we need a left back and the options are a young lad with little experience who hasn’t been relegated or ( sorry for this) Andy Robertson who has been relegated. You pick Robertson every time. A team’s Relegation has nothing to do with an individual’s talent.

Also,

Burnley conceded 13 less goals than us, 53 to our 66. They also had more clean sheets 9 to our 8. Burnley went down because they couldn’t score, not because they couldn’t defend. They only got beat by more than 1 goal 11 times and 7 games with a 1 goal deficit. A decent attack could turn a few of those close losses or draws in to draws or wins and then they stay up. They actually lost less games than us, 17 to our 21. Their biggest defeat was 4-0 to Chelsea in the only game they conceded 4. Us on the other hand conceded 4+ on 4 occasions.

In short, I’ve got nothing to concern me about Tarkowksi coming in and helping to plug our defence, ready for the next guy in a few years to take his place in a more stabilised side.

I mean Zagadou plays for Dortmund, who are generally in the top 3/4 funded sides in the Bundesliga. They are funded to the equivalent of United/Chelsea/Liverpool here. That logic would dictate that say Phil Jones is automatically better than a guy that has been relegated purely on that basis.

Zagadou is clearly not Phil Jones, but I don't think his lack of relegation is a clear advantage here. Tarkowski has played for a side funded in the bottom 6 in the league every season, and has helped keep them up almost every season.

Let’s hope we don’t rock up all season with 2 in midfield

Our squad literally just battled relegation and now we've lost our best player. It's not looking great at this point. I'd snatch your arm off for midtable
I dont think the problem of last season is fully about the quality of squad. Even we lost Richy and digne now, if we replace them rightly, we should not be at the bottom of table. At this moment,Lampard must find a solution on balancing the squad.

Spurs have only made the five signings so far. Isn't it great when your club has a vision and works quickly to implement it? Kin state of Everton selling players on the cheap by a set deadline, then being unable to use the money on the squad because they've already pissed hundreds of millions up the wall.

Did he keep them up loads of times though? No we agree he is an upgrade on what we have, we just dont agree on transfer strategy.
One transfer is not indicative of an entire window's strategy.

You want to recruit names. Simple as that.

Equally simply put, Tarkowski was the right target for strengthening central defence, because we have to shift some high-earning dross like Mina and Keane but we need a calm, experienced senior player in that area (ie NOT a 20 - 24 year old). Now unless you can back up your earlier claim that he's on the same money as Yerry Mina, please give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back