Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, and one in four is bad forward play. If he were playing midfield it would be fine obviously, as a forward we need minimum 1 in 3 but would ideally not regularly be playing anyone not doing better than that.
Townsend and Gray aside, his past numbers would have been very welcome to us as a team.

As I said tho, I dont miss him, as such.

I don't think Gylfi is a great player - far from it - and he had his many flaws, but the blind ignorance of the positives he did offer by some bemuses me.

Indeed.

I often joked/tongue in cheek commented that if we took away Sigurdssons goals/assists (and the points they gave), we'd be facing relegation...

He was directly involved in something like 50% of Swansea's goals. They were always doomed for relegation when he left - it's why he was so important for them/commanded the fee he did.

I'd rather Gordon got the time to try and get better. Maybe he doesn't make it, I'm tired of not finding out with our young players.
We always find out with our young players. Usually because they get games here, but otherwise because they go elsewhere and do nothing to suggest that they were any great loss. Gordon has already 'made it', how much he pushes on from here we'll have to see but if he doesn't get any better it won't be because we didn't give him a chance.

Indeed.

I often joked/tongue in cheek commented that if we took away Sigurdssons goals/assists (and the points they gave), we'd be facing relegation...

He was directly involved in something like 50% of Swansea's goals. They were always doomed for relegation when he left - it's why he was so important for them/commanded the fee he did.
Swansea literally played him as a striker the second half of that season. You need to be asking yourself if Sigurdsson was a striker at the level we want.

We always find out with our young players. Usually because they get games here, but otherwise because they go elsewhere and do nothing to suggest that they were any great loss. Gordon has already 'made it', how much he pushes on from here we'll have to see but if he doesn't get any better it won't be because we didn't give him a chance.
I mean Lookman would be our best wide player so I put that down as a loss personally

I mean Lookman would be our best wide player so I put that down as a loss personally
Lookman is a debatable one, although you'd probably struggle to argue that he's actually worth much more than we sold him for and so the issue would be more that we didn't reinvest the money well. I think the situation with Lookman was just different too, he didn't want to be here and so didn't necessarily give the best impression of himself. Even if you accept him as an example, one player in god knows how log is hardly evidence of it being an endemic issue.

Lookman is a debatable one, although you'd probably struggle to argue that he's actually worth much more than we sold him for and so the issue would be more that we didn't reinvest the money well. I think the situation with Lookman was just different too, he didn't want to be here and so didn't necessarily give the best impression of himself. Even if you accept him as an example, one player in god knows how log is hardly evidence of it being an endemic issue.
The problem is we stall out a lot of players development by having them sit around and do nothing for months on end and then act like they were always crap when they don't develop. You have to invest the time in young players or they are going to end up not making it.

The "Lookman didn't want to be here" thing is such crap because of this exact thing, Lookman didn't want to sit on the bench, it is crazy but the footballer actually wanted to play football. Same argument goes for Moise Kean btw. I imagine it would have gone for Gordon if we didn't start getting him in the team regularly.

The problem is we stall out a lot of players development by having them sit around and do nothing for months on end and then act like they were always crap when they don't develop. You have to invest the time in young players or they are going to end up not making it.

The "Lookman didn't want to be here" thing is such crap because of this exact thing, Lookman didn't want to sit on the bench, it is crazy but the footballer actually wanted to play football. Same argument goes for Moise Kean btw. I imagine it would have gone for Gordon if we didn't start getting him in the team regularly.
There was more to the Lookman situation than that. He didn't settle here and wanted to leave almost from the moment he arrived. I don't know why i'm getting sucked into this conversation with you because I know you're not interested in the truth of these things and will just absolve the players you like of any blame so i'll bow out now.

There was more to the Lookman situation than that. He didn't settle here and wanted to leave almost from the moment he arrived. I don't know why i'm getting sucked into this conversation with you because I know you're not interested in the truth of these things and will just absolve the players you like of any blame so i'll bow out now.
It's not absolving anyone of blame, you can't seriously look at a club who has brought through only a handful of young players in the last 25 years and think "no, it was the players who were wrong" when scores of other clubs are able to do it better.

It's not absolving anyone of blame, you can't seriously look at a club who has brought through only a handful of young players in the last 25 years and think "no, it was the players who were wrong" when scores of other clubs are able to do it better.
I'm not doing that though, that's a very different point from the one I originally disputed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back