Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there probably are wires crossed alright.

I am saying that no successful team is built around any one player... with the possible exception of Messi, but then he had Iniesta, Xavi and Neymar with him when he was in his prime.

In my opinion the player fits into the team, rather than the other way around.

We need central midfielders that can defend, pass and control their area and at the moment we don't have one.
But, you build from the back and Tarkowski even in 45 minutes seemed to bring a solidity that we just have not had in some years.

We now need to address midfield and Gilmour could certainly play a role but I don't think he is the type of player we need most.

Finally, we do need to replace Richarlison because if we don't then I think we will be relying too heavily on Gordon.
Gray is inconsistent, Townsend injured and Iwobi is not a winger as we have seen.
Yeah that’s pretty much exactly the point I was making. You only build a team round a player if they’re exceptional, everyone else just has to fit in to a team. Gilmour does not strike me as exceptional.

Yeah that’s pretty much exactly the point I was making. You only build a team round a player if they’re exceptional, everyone else just has to fit in to a team. Gilmour does not strike me as exceptional.
The point is you’ve got to play a certain way with Gimour in your team and vice versa. You’ve got to play possession football. If you want to be direct, go back to front quickly. There’s no point in having a player like Gilmour in the team.

As I said earlier I don’t think he will improve your balance but if you are looking for a player who can play a pass, when not being physically challenged he is your man.
I dont see a queue for his services, do you?

He's Championship or SPL level.

Which is?
In a midfield completely devoid of energy he brings a high workrate, dependable in playing two consecutive seasons of 30 PL games in a side where we cant keep anyone fit, 2nd highest goalscorer last season even though he's technically lacking, willing to receive the ball when others turn their back (he reverted badly to playing backwards when the team started to go downhill last season but still shows for the ball), doesnt shirk a challenge when we have a team of bloody wall flowers.
He is disciplined in so far as he doesnt get silly red cards in an indiciplined team (he lacks positional discipline yet imo thats partly due to him being expected to support attack at the same time as covering our fragile defense).
As said i think he's technically very limited, but can be effective for us if we have more technical players around him.

I’ll tell you something about Gilmour, if he was English, he’d be in the England squad. He’s the type of player that England are crying out for and don’t have.
He’s not getting in ahead of Rice, Phillips, Gallagher, Henderson, Mount or Bellingham is he

He could be, that’s the thing, we don’t know yet.
He’s not getting in ahead of Rice, Phillips, Gallagher, Henderson, Mount or Bellingham is he
yes he would because he’s different from all of them, and he can do what they can’t.

Again it’s all about opinions. But I think he would. Because he can control possession and dictate the game.
Okay then.

Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham, Gallagher, Mount.

Which one of these players would Gilmour replace in the England squad if he was English?

Status
Not open for further replies.