Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's the paradox.

We hate the 35% possession sitting deep approach.

We want to be a team that controls possession on the front foot.

Yet someone like Gilmour we don't want because his attributes suit a team with possession that doesn't sit deep.

And we wonder why year after year we end up resorting to 35-40% games and sitting deep....

Eventually you have to bring in players who can actually play the way you want. Rather than always 'trying' to shoehorn in players who can't and defaulting to the same old same old

Ok, here's the paradox.

Yet someone like Gilmour we don't want because his attributes suit a team with possession that doesn't sit deep.

And we wonder why year after year we end up resorting to 35-40% games and sitting deep....

Eventually you have to bring in players who can actually play the way you want. Rather than always 'trying' to shoehorn in players who can't and defaulting to the same old same old

Or, people are against this signing if it appears we're going to carry on playing 3-5-whatever to which he can't play.

I dont see a queue for his services, do you?

He's Championship or SPL level.

Thing is mate, was there a long queue for a lot of the players who became very good for us, who was in for Arteta, Pienaar, Reid, Gray, Carsley, Etc etc etc

You may not rate the lad, he's not messi, but if the manager who git some great performances out if him wants him then I'm happy with it

Ok, here's the paradox.

Unless we’re signing prime Yaya Toure on 20k a week for 10 mill there’s going to be people moaning on here about whoever we go for.

Gilmour can play so if we do go for him then it gives us a different option. As of yet I’ve not seen any concrete link recently though.

Or, people are against this signing if it appears we're going to carry on playing 3-5-whatever to which he can't play.
Is the issue with us playing that formation not that its what Frank thinks is our best option with our current squad?
Signing someone to fit into that system reinforces it rather than trying to change system and style. Gilmour (on loan) along with buying a proper DM would be going towards changing it surely.
On his own it doesnt make sense, but we cant be buying players singularly and expecting improvement.

I am genuinely starting to get a bit concerned now. It seems that until we get one miserly deal over the line, we’re not going to be spending on anyone else. Hard to see us getting that first deal done and until we do the dominoes won’t fall. Might be left with slim pickings by the time they do.
Yes. Being an Everton fan is grim really even when we had money we pee'd it up the wall... Back to scratching around now.. Thanks to board and owner...

Gilmour is the bees, lads.

He ran the show for Lampard's Chelsea in his full debut (against us btw, last game before COVID). Absolutely laughed at England's much-vaunted midfield in the Euros. Folks sneer at a 0-0 draw, but ya Rice, Phillips and Mount got nowhere near him.

You'd all be desperate for us to sign him after 6 months. It's the perfect time to get him as his stock is down because of that Norwich loan.

I actually agree mate, situation we are in we can either play it safe - likes if winks etc you know what your getting but no more or you take a risk

Is the issue with us playing that formation not that its what Frank thinks is our best option with our current squad?
Signing someone to fit into that system reinforces it rather than trying to change system and style. Gilmour (on loan) along with buying a proper DM would be going towards changing it surely.
On his own it doesnt make sense, but we cant be buying players singularly and expecting improvement.

Well that's the million dollar question. I'd be inclined to say he doesn't want to play this formation, based on some of his quotes last season, but then part of me thinks what a waste of time carrying on with it if you don't. Someone like Davies has played at the base in the past until he got a Gilmour or whoever he wanted.

This is currently what we have, and unless Gilmour is the catalyst for change, can't see where he'd flourish.

Untitled.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back