Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you think about it Pienaar was the same mate, he’d never pass the ball more then a couple of meters, worked on the basis on one twos and within triangles, his end product wasn’t great, but he was a wonderful player, progressive player for us.

Really he was converted central midfielder, we used as an inside flanker as a foil for Baines, who could asp come inside in advanced positions to make us thick at spread the play and provide a foundation.
Pienaars football nouce was up there with the best . He wasn't fast, wasn't 6'2, average passing , dreadful shot 95% of the time . But he was great.

Alan Ball, arguably our best ever player - twoof his best attributes where tidy ball player and low center of gravity.

Yeah this lad won't ever be that good, but the idea cos yes he's small, yup not fast, again I'll say was Ball either of those?

Can imagine back then people questioning building a side around a 20yo from Blackpool (yup way more proven but still the question would us e been asked)
Ball was much quicker and an awful lot tougher, nobody ever kicked Ball out of a game. By the way, we didn't , back then, question building a team around a 20 year old Alan Ball. He came into a team that had won the league and the cup in the previous 3 seasons and was brought in to add yet more quality to an already very good team. We used to do things like that back then.

As I just said elsewhere, it possibly just depends how you define ‘building your team around’. To me, being an important building block in a team and having the team built around you are very different things. Rodri for example plays a very important role for city, but I would never say the team was built around him. Ronaldo and messi are players who have had teams built around them, where the entire point of the system is to get the most out of them. Lukaku needs that, I think grealish does too. Charlie Adam had it at Blackpool (just to highlight that I’m not just talking about the elite). All of those were more than just an important cog in the wheel, and that’s what I took the poster to be talking about.

You see the variance is huge. You might say the Pep Barca team was built around Messi and you wouldn’t be wrong, personally I think it was built around Xavi and Inesta.

I take your point on match winners and of course you need them, but a team for me is built around the sum of its parts, to use an overused analogy it’s like building a house, you start from the ground up, then develop the style, identity etc.

Personaly I don’t think teams are built around one player, nor do I believe you have to build a team around one player, especially in Gilmour case, you can develop an identity or philosphey and recruit to extenuate based on that. When you look say Swansea when they were in the PL they are prob a case in point, on paper they should be no where near winning a trophy but they did, playing a pocession based model, built around the likes of De Guzman and Leon Britton in the engine room. Then there is blend no way Leicester should win the PL on paper but did.

Many different ways of skinning a cat, many different ways of playing football.

Last edited:

It’s a no to Gilmour from me, he’s too lightweight and we have enough of that already. I’d rather have Ampadu who can play in a few positions and is good on the ball too.
I’m quite ambivalent about Gilmore not seen enough of him to form a real opinion, but I tend ignore posters who rant on about a player being rubbish, or SPL level FL2 standard at best and accuse fellow posters of not knowing anything about football because they disagree with him. ( this is not aimed at you BTW). If the internet was around when we bought Dave Clement or Paul Power the melt down on here would be seismic. As for Ampadu again no idea how good he is but I’d rather we bought players who is good in one position and play him there than buy a player because he can play in a few positions.

For me mate, I want the club to back Lampard for a long term rebuild, take the bumps along the way but full support.

In that regard if he wants a certain player because he knows and has got the best out of him, then back him.

It's why if he wants Gilmour - buy the lad, don't loan him, loan Pulisic if he wants him etc.

We've heavily backed managers who made zero connection with the club, ones who seemingly had little long term future like fat Sam and fat waiter. Now we have one whose gone balls deep with the supporters last season and clearly has ambition not seeing out a o
pay check, just back him

It’s a great point and absolutely key, it’s utterly pointless signing Billy Gilmour as much as I’m a fan of him, if we sack Lampard in three months, it’s absolutely key, we need to leave him alone for three season and build, we need to stay strong and resilient when things become adverse. Not sure I can do another reboot and new beginning, it’s totally undermines the club mate.

Last edited:

This is starting to look a little more than bleak.

Does anyone have any clue, realistically how much we have to spend?

Nearly half a billion in 5 years now its looking like less than 20-25mil is all that is possibly available.

FFS

Gilmour is the bees, lads.

He ran the show for Lampard's Chelsea in his full debut (against us btw, last game before COVID). Absolutely laughed at England's much-vaunted midfield in the Euros. Folks sneer at a 0-0 draw, but ya Rice, Phillips and Mount got nowhere near him.

You'd all be desperate for us to sign him after 6 months. It's the perfect time to get him as his stock is down because of that Norwich loan.
You mean the Norwich loan where he was taken out of his Chelsea comfort zone to play in a struggling side in the PL like us. He is not good enough technically to make up for his physical shortcomings. Lampard knows it or this deal would already be done

Which player would that be, though?

Winks doesn't have any other takers, MGW doesn't seem to have solid links/offers by anyone else, Cornet seems to be in the same boat (maybe Fulham?), Dennis doesn't seem to be indeed etc. If we are going to drop +£20m on a player, we're not doing a very good job of it so far.
It's not about doing a good job of it. It's about having a budget and optimising the spending and getting the best bang for each buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back