Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I’m happy at the rumoured pursuit of a midfielder, I have to agree with this. I really hope the club are working frantically behind the scenes to sort out a goal scorer.
It’s negligent that we’re heading into the season without one.
I'm sure they are but still. This isn't the first time this has happened in recent years and frankly it's not good enough.

Whilst I’m happy at the rumoured pursuit of a midfielder, I have to agree with this. I really hope the club are working frantically behind the scenes to sort out a goal scorer.
It’s negligent that we’re heading into the season without one.
Yeah, don't get me wrong I won't be unhappy with Onana but with Gueye lined up and the possibility of Gilmour / Winks or whoever on loan then it feels like with Doucoure and Allan we do have options in midfield without spending 30 million, not brilliant options but options. If the same money gets us a quality forward instead of doing it on the cheap (eg Terrier instead of Batshuayi) I still think that's probably a better use of the funds. Unless there's somehow room in the budget for two fairly expensive signings.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I won't be unhappy with Onana but with Gueye lined up and the possibility of Gilmour / Winks or whoever on loan then it feels like with Doucoure and Allan we do have options in midfield without spending 30 million, not brilliant options but options. If the same money gets us a quality forward instead of doing it on the cheap (eg Terrier instead of Batshuayi) I still think that's probably a better use of the funds. Unless there's somehow room in the budget for two fairly expensive signings.
I get the desire for a top forward and spending a lot of money in attack, and obviously they are highly valued for a reason. But you have to build a team from the core, and the core are the midfield, and then the CBs. They spend most of the time on the ball and chasing the ball, and its our ignoring the position for a long long time that has really made things difficult. Having a good striker when your midfield cant hold the ball and cant get it back does nothing for the team. But constantly winning back the ball and dominating possession means we make mediocre forwards look better with more opportunities, and we concede less as they cant score without the ball.

Other teams would much prefer we spend the money on a striker than a midfield. Game planning around a single good striker is waaay easier.

The Coady rumours don't make sense unless we have solid offers on the table for Keane and Mina. We don't need six CBs who are all on big wages, it would simply stop us bringing in sufficient reinforcements elsewhere like CM and CF.

If Coady is genuinely a target then it's more evidence of Lampard's plan to play a 3 CB structure most weeks - if that's the plan then Keane is surplus to squad requirements because he goes completely to pieces in a back 3 or back 5.

If we're bringing ANY more CBs in then simply from a payroll perspective someone's got to leave. Our wage to income ratio is better now than it was before Tosun, Delph and Sigurdsson left but if we just keep adding to the squad then we recreate the same problem - too many highly-paid players not actually playing much.

Having said all that, if we really do have offers for Mina and Keane then I'd prefer to see a better new CB than Coady. Someone a bit younger and capable of playing in more than just one system. Evan Ndicka or Duje Caleta-Car, someone like that. I see Ajax have nabbed Calvin Bassey for around £20m...
I'd take Coady over Keane

I get the desire for a top forward and spending a lot of money in attack, and obviously they are highly valued for a reason. But you have to build a team from the core, and the core are the midfield, and then the CBs. They spend most of the time on the ball and chasing the ball, and its our ignoring the position for a long long time that has really made things difficult. Having a good striker when your midfield cant hold the ball and cant get it back does nothing for the team. But constantly winning back the ball and dominating possession means we make mediocre forwards look better with more opportunities, and we concede less as they cant score without the ball.

Other teams would much prefer we spend the money on a striker than a midfield. Game planning around a single good striker is waaay easier.
I get what you're saying, but game planning around a good striker is also much harder than game planning around Salomon Rondon.

I'm disappointed, but my ol' man said something last night that made me reconsider my opinion. 'If his release is only £17.5m, why hasn't he gone earlier?'

He could have potentially been a good addition to our squad and brought some threat up front, yet we've got McNeil and I think a CF will be better utilised.
Yeah I think we have to trust that the club will have looked closely at him and done their homework, especially with Tarkowski as a reference. As with a lot of other clubs for whatever reason we were put off proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back