Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really not keen on Coady. He’s a good player but he limits how & what formation we play (if reports of him being jarg in a 2 are correct). We need to be moving away from these kinds of player IMO.

(Note: Keane Holgate Davies Gomez Allan & probably Godfrey also limit how we can play on multiple levels)

We need to be asking 1) are they good enough and 2) would you be happy seeing them on the team sheet if we played: 4-4-2 4-3-3 5-3-2-1 4-5-1 4-2-4 5-4-1 3-4-3

I hope so, i could see more interest in centre backs than Gomes or Gbamin, that said the central defenders bar Mina are on long enough contracts so it has to be worth their while leaving.

Ive a sneaky feeling we have a deal for Gomes, but its being held up because of his injury.

Holgate is on affordable wages for most, Keane a little less so, but still not prohibitively so I'd say.

Can't stand either especially Holgate, but both in the right team would be decent buys for some teams.

I'd say we will keep Mina till contract ends mate. Fit he will earn points even if it's only 15-20 games.

I think that's about his true value, but I also think he is a player whose gonna continue improving mate (23 soon but some do develop later)

If you're talking silly money then no chance, but a structured deal around the same as Onana I'd say was worth it

I think they'd hope to get 35 - 40 mill for him mate and i think he would be topping out at that and wouldnt be worth much more if you went to sell him again, which makes me wary of investment on that scale. Its a no from me on that score. His stock is high. I honestly think the lad himself will give it a year at Chelsea though, maybe go out on loan in the new year after the world cup.

I see a ceiling with him though mate, players like him you can adjust to, while they are always a pain, they rely on Athleticism and engine more then innate skill, on that score i think teams will learn how to play him as his profile raises - thats the ceiling i talk about. Hes a good player that adds, but i wouldn't be building a team around him.

Last edited:
So much for financial fair play eh...
There are no rules once you reach a certain level. Them, City, PSG, Barcelona just do what they want. The thing that annoys me in particular with Chelsea is that, while I’m not saying they should’ve been out of business or anything, there have been no repercussions for the Abramovich situation, indeed it’s ended up brilliantly for them with the new guy splashing the cash even more readily.

For a bit they were a fully Russian entity under sanctions, their assets (including the players) were Russian assets, and the government were openly saying their money, and the money they spent to get where they are now, was corrupt money. Shouldn’t that have had some repercussions? Maybe forced to forfeit some assets? Nope, onto the next owner, debts wiped, spend spend spend again.

Holgate is on affordable wages for most, Keane a little less so, but still not prohibitively so I'd say.

Can't stand either especially Holgate, but both in the right team would be decent buys for some teams.

I'd say we will keep Mina till contract ends mate. Fit he will earn points even if it's only 15-20 games.

Get the feeling there is a bit of ego, about Holgate, every couple of months he talks about cracking the England team, cant see him being in a hurry with three years of a deal to run, Keane the same. Would be great for us, both carry very little ammotisation cost, so ching, ching if we got fees.

Mina i like, but hes not worth his cost to us, we have to be ruthless to my mind, id look to a deal somewhere for him personally. not personal, just business.

I think they'd hope to get 35 - 40 mill for him mate and i think he would be topping out at that and wouldnt be worth much more if you went to sell him again, which makes me wary of investment on that scale. Its a no from me on that score. His stock is high. I honestly think the lad himself will give it a year at Chelsea though, maybe go out on loan in the new year after the world cup. I see a ceiling with im though mate, players like him you can adjust to, while they are always a pain, they rely on Athleticism and engine more then innate skill, on that score i think teams will learn how to play him as his profile raises - thats the ceiling i talk about. Hes a good player that adds, but i wouldn't be building a team around him.

In a way through mate Lampard himself could have been described in similar terms.

Remember being in Barca many years ago and watching at there training ground the England U21s v I think Yugoslavia U21s.

Was the game I believe that Heskey got loads of racist abuse and Lampard scored a pen, Gerard and maybe Joe Cole where playing too and a few other big names of the future

Gerrard looked a mile above Lampard who reminded me hugely at the time of Ebrell....

Boy did I get that wrong

I think they'd hope to get 35 - 40 mill for him mate and i think he would be topping out at that and wouldnt be worth much more if you went to sell him again, which makes me wary of investment on that scale. Its a no from me on that score. His stock is high. I honestly think the lad himself will give it a year at Chelsea though, maybe go out on loan in the new year after the world cup.

I see a ceiling with him though mate, players like him you can adjust to, while they are always a pain, they rely on Athleticism and engine more then innate skill, on that score i think teams will learn how to play him as his profile raises - thats the ceiling i talk about. Hes a good player that adds, but i wouldn't be building a team around him.

I do agree a kit about what you say about Gallacher and his value mate, he'd be the one I'd pay it fir not expecting to sell for a profit but to get the value by 8-9 years at a hopefully steadily improving team (like Chelsea did with Lampard)

In a way through mate Lampard himself could have been described in similar terms.

Remember being in Barca many years ago and watching at there training ground the England U21s v I think Yugoslavia U21s.

Was the game I believe that Heskey got loads of racist abuse and Lampard scored a pen, Gerard and maybe Joe Cole where playing too and a few other big names of the future

Gerrard looked a mile above Lampard who reminded me hugely at the time of Ebrell....

Boy did I get that wrong

Thats a fair point mate, it comes down to opinion really, the lads a good player not saying otherwise, i guess its about how much more you think is there in growth and thats subjective. Id be personally hesitant, just on his style i can see a ceiling, felt other teams were more aware of him in the second half of the season and he became more limited as a result. Maybe that a learning process for the lad, maybe thats his ceiling, i tend to fall on the latter - especially if we have to put big money down. Id be interested in a value deal certainly, i just dont think one would be forthcoming given his stock is high.

I don’t think we,ll be able to get rid of any of them add to that Davies to ,i thought they’d be a lot easier to sell then the likes of Gomes allan etc but there doesn’t seem to be any interest ever it’s strange because most clubs are able to move there unwanted players on but we seem to be struggle

I do agree a kit about what you say about Gallacher and his value mate, he'd be the one I'd pay it fir not expecting to sell for a profit but to get the value by 8-9 years at a hopefully steadily improving team (like Chelsea did with Lampard)

I think its a lovely thought mate, but if im honest i think football has moved on, i think if you are buying players, you absolutely have to look at them as appreciable investments. On Onana ill be disappointed if he is ever sold and we didnt make a profit, i was gutted we made such a meager profit on Richarlison, unfortunately i think thats the way of it now.

Last edited:
I don’t think we,ll be able to get rid of any of them add to that Davies to ,i thought they’d be a lot easier to sell then the likes of Gomes allan etc but there doesn’t seem to be any interest ever it’s strange because most clubs are able to move there unwanted players on but we seem to be struggle

High wages his amortization costs means to sell we have to ask a decent fee mate meaning with the wages they are on a lot of clubs are priced out and the rich clubs can get better by far.

Nearest example I can give us look at Chelsea trying to shift Barkley and Kenedy, Batshuayi similar boat and they are struggling badly to move them on.

Clubs wanting them will wait till later in the window when we're more likely to lower fees and contribute a greater % of their wages to get shut

I’m really not keen on Coady. He’s a good player but he limits how & what formation we play (if reports of him being jarg in a 2 are correct). We need to be moving away from these kinds of player IMO.

(Note: Keane Holgate Davies Gomez Allan & probably Godfrey also limit how we can play on multiple levels)

We need to be asking 1) are they good enough and 2) would you be happy seeing them on the team sheet if we played: 4-4-2 4-3-3 5-3-2-1 4-5-1 4-2-4 5-4-1 3-4-3
Agree that Coady does limit your formation options but I think the stability the club and team has lacked for years really calls out for a) picking a manager and sticking with him (hopefully we are there) and b) have him pick a formation and stick with it- train for it every day, recruit for it. If he’s committing to 343 or something related then Coady makes sense.

I don’t think you see many successful sides chop and change formation much from week to week, certainly not drastic changes like 343 to 433. You can tweak the formation, maybe 343 to more of a 352 against midfield dominating teams but fully changing the system with one or two injuries or a couple of bad results has never helped us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back