Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, as has been said before that you refuse to listen to, it would have been stupider focusing solely on a striker all summer and leaving us with the likes of Keane and Gomes starting games. We’ve built a stronger back line and we look a bit better in midfield, no one expected DCL to get an injury 3 days before the season started
DCL getting injured was no unlikely. Relying on DCL for a whole season would have been silly quite honestly.

We've lost 2 winnable matches due to embarrassing attacking play. What sort of team are we aspiring to be? One with championship standard attackers? I dont get it.

Striker is 10x more important than any other position. And it shows in our performances. Our defence has been upgraded but they still make errors.

I dont like the recruitment. I think its as bad as ever.

Yeah not having the whole "so unlucky with injuries"

Relying on Calvert Lewin alone to be fit is a nonsense. Injuries are part of the game, and he's prone to them. Form is part of the game, and he needs competition.

A piss-take from Thelwell, Lampard and this Everton board to have got us a couple of games in without that striker. Negligence especially after last season.

Even loaning out Simms and Dobbin. If they're not good enough to play when there's nobody else just let them go.

DCL getting injured was no unlikely. Relying on DCL for a whole season would have been silly quite honestly.

We've lost 2 winnable matches due to embarrassing attacking play. What sort of team are we aspiring to be? One with championship standard attackers? I dont get it.

Striker is 10x more important than any other position. And it shows in our performances. Our defence has been upgraded but they still make errors.

I don't think it is just the attacking play that has cost us. It hasn't helped, but for 80 minutes there we were playing on the back foot and you're looking for attackers to make magic instead of controlling a game and building pressure. That's not solved even if you toss Haaland up top.

Relying on Calvert Lewin alone to be fit is a nonsense. Injuries are part of the game, and he's prone to them. Form is part of the game, and he needs competition.

A piss-take from Thelwell, Lampard and this Everton board to have got us a couple of games in without that striker. Negligence especially after last season.

Even loaning out Simms and Dobbin. If they're not good enough to play when there's nobody else just let them go.
And Broadhead

Absolutely criminal to let all of them out on loan in our current situation - Fair enough let them go in the final week of the window after we've signed a couple, but what was the logical reasoning to do it now?

Totally baffling and negligent

It’s not though ffs, I felt more assured in both games with our back line, I felt better having Iwobi and Doucoure in midfield that I did having potentially a Gomes/Davies pairing. I maybe would have got Dele and Onana on 5 mins earlier to give support to Rondon

A striker wouldn’t have made a difference if we were getting sliced through like butter and Keane was having brain farts, Chelsea would have scored 4/5 easy last week in that case and Villa would have sniffed blood and put us out of sight after Ings’ goal

2 forwards is a must. Out and out centre forward obviously but we’re also badly in need of a wide player too. Player we were linked with like Cornet, Dennis and Terrier should’ve been top priority, basically anyone that can start every game for us even if DCL is fit or not, much like how Richy was. Then someone like Guirassey or the lad from Coventry where there’s not much risk involved and they offer a different type of striker.

If I were Lampard I’d be demanding Guirassey be finalised on loan and then I’d be pleading for us to go and match Forest’s offer for Dennis. There’s a fee there that you know Watford will accept, just pay it for the love of Christ. We missed out on a better prospect in Cornet for less, we’d regret letting both go to other teams when we’re crying out for a player just like them.

I keep saying it but our recruitment has been totally stupid this window. Totally the wrong priorities.

Sign a couple of forwards or we are going down. End of story.
It could change if we bring another target man striker and dcl is able to maintain some fitness but prioritizing dwight McNeil is looking like a major blunder

The thing that consistently troubles me with us is that since James got binned we have no-one at all who is really good at striking a football: no-one who will get you goals out of nowhere from distance, no-one who will score a free-kick, no-one to even hit a corner. The closest we have is Townsend FFS (who, if fit, would genuinely improve that starting 11 today). Some of our players can't even consistently strike basic mid-range passes let alone play eye-of-a-needle through balls. The whole game is kicking a football and we have no players who are brilliant at it, and some who are very bad at it.

I don't know how you rectify that because that genuinely quality isn't cheap but we are missing out on so many goals and chances because we don't have anyone who does it. But even if there have to be compromises (they are a bit too old, wages a bit too high, maybe they don't always track back) we need to find a way to introduce someone like that to the squad. I have no idea who though.

Broadhead also

Had a year to sort a Richi replacement and we are scrambling about for the likes of Che Adams. Really bad stuff.
There's a pattern isn't there. We've not sorted a Richy replacement, not sorted a James replacement, attempting to sort a Gana replacement WITH GANA, I mean, in terms of a little bit of midfield quality we've not even replaced that Icelandic fella. We've let quality and technique dribble out the door and so little has come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.