Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not though ffs, I felt more assured in both games with our back line, I felt better having Iwobi and Doucoure in midfield that I did having potentially a Gomes/Davies pairing. I maybe would have got Dele and Onana on 5 mins earlier to give support to Rondon

A striker wouldn’t have made a difference if we were getting sliced through like butter and Keane was having brain farts, Chelsea would have scored 4/5 easy last week in that case and Villa would have sniffed blood and put us out of sight after Ings’ goal
No point in playing games if we don't have a striker. We will not win a game without a striker and we will not come back in a game we are losing without a striker.
I look forward to celebrating some glorious goalless draws.

No point in playing games if we don't have a striker. We will not win a game without a striker and we will not come back in a game we are losing without a striker.
I look forward to celebrating some glorious goalless draws.
We had the ball in the net twice without a striker today and we’ve looked solider defensively with actually defenders instead of Keystone Cops

We had the ball in the net twice without a striker today and we’ve looked solider defensively with actually defenders instead of Keystone Cops
I mean, the signs of a good manager is making sure a good defensive unit exists. Which we already look a million times better, and just generally solid.

Lampard alluded in that podcast that not everything happens in time; he needs to be given the full time and supported

Simms looked awful in preseason, he clearly needed a full season of competitive football
Sending Simms on loan was the correct thing to do, but it could've waited until later in the window, knowing we had a starting striker who just missed most of last season injured, and a backup striker who is both quite bad AND who we knew was suspended for the first game of the season. Simms isn't glamorous or elegant but he is effective and clearly knows how to kick a football into a goal.

Had a year to sort a Richi replacement and we are scrambling about for the likes of Che Adams. Really bad stuff.
History is repeating itself though in the lack of DCL cover. Beyond the extreme reliance on him post the Richy sale (despite a checkered health record) and the likelihood (and likely wise) looming transfer of him in the not so distant future, simply a rotation striker that is able to finish out 20 minutes and play in the league cup isn't sufficient.

This is a clear moment where Everton should be buying for the longterm, for any number of reasons. The resources to do so now are questionable, but even the McNeil funds probably could have been better suited for a goalscorer with real chops to be a first team player in a years time. Succession in our business has almost never been present. The context to suggests a younger appreciating talent rarely is this obvious. If we have funds we should be buying with that intention at striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.