Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate spending stupid money is what got us in a FFP hole in the first place and you’re advocating spending up to £50m on a kid with 2 full season experience, one of which was in the 3rd tier

And spending money on good players is what gets us out of this mess.

City and RS aint top of the tree because they spend buttons on 18 year olds from League 2.

And £50 million was a joke mate.

Would happily pay £30-35 million for him though lad will be worth double that in the future.

Last edited:
They don't have to

Dont get me wrong we need to be scouting bargains as well but there is nothing wrong with spending the odd £25-30 million on a Bowen/Johnson/Maddison/Barnes type of player as if we had done that instead of spending £25-30 million on your Keanes, Klaassans, Gomes, Siggurdssons of the world we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Fees haven't been our issue its the profile of signing that has been.

Dont get me wrong we need to be scouting bargains as well but there is nothing wrong with spending the odd £25-30 million on a Bowen/Johnson/Maddison/Barnes type of player as if we had done that instead of spending £25-30 million on your Keanes, Klaassans, Gomes, Siggurdssons of the world we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Fees haven't been our issue its the profile of signing that has been.
They're connected. The high fees have been because of the players we target to some extent.

You're also bringing up a lot of players who went for under 25m which means they fit into my completely made up 25 and 25m rule. If Johnson fits into that I'm all for it but you're saying up to 50m and no that is a bad idea.

They're connected. The high fees have been because of the players we target to some extent.

You're also bringing up a lot of players who went for under 25m which means they fit into my completely made up 25 and 25m rule. If Johnson fits into that I'm all for it but you're saying up to 50m and no that is a bad idea.

Those players moved years ago and football prices like everything in life inflates and goes up year on year.

£15-20 million for a young hot Championship player 3 seasons ago is now £25-30 million and so on.

I think covid reduced prices, personally.

Maybe on the mainland but the PL are a bubble. We see RS sign Jota for £45 million, Chelsea sign Lukaku for £96 million, Utd spend £130 million on Sancho and Varane and City £100 million on Grealish, Arsenal and Villa spent over £100 million and Spurs weren't too far behind. Newcastle spent £85 million in January and so on.

@TheBigIguana You'll always get the odd bargain like £8 million for Olise but the media profile of a player drives up prices. DCL isnt a £50-60 million player but his media profile/England International status will see him sold for that same way Grealish went for a £100 million on the profile the media gave him in this country as being an elite player.

Unfortunately Brennan Johnson has a growing media profile so what could have gotten him 12-18 months ago you're talking another £10+ million added to that price tag.

Maybe on the mainland but the PL are a bubble. We see RS sign Jota for £45 million, Chelsea sign Lukaku for £96 million, Utd spend £130 million on Sancho and Varane and City £100 million on Grealish.

@TheBigIguana You'll always get the odd bargain like £8 million for Olise but the media profile of a player drives up prices. DCL isnt a £50-60 million player but his media profile/England International status will see him sold for that same way Grealish went for a £100 million on the profile the media gave him in this country as being an elite player.

Unfortunately Brennan Johnson has a growing media profile so what could have gotten him 12-18 months ago you're talking another £10+ million added to that price tag.
Sancho was like 75m I think.

But ok, maybe not reduced, but I think it plateaued them a little, cos they were starting to get out of hand.

And Grealish cost 100m cos it was City and he was Villas best player.

In hindsight it was a complete waste of money, but at the time I felt the fee was "worth it".

Maybe he will be better next season.

Maybe on the mainland but the PL are a bubble. We see RS sign Jota for £45 million, Chelsea sign Lukaku for £96 million, Utd spend £130 million on Sancho and Varane and City £100 million on Grealish, Arsenal and Villa spent over £100 million and Spurs weren't too far behind. Newcastle spent £85 million in January and so on.

We need to get the bargains. It is the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.