Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm of the opinion that Holgate has been the most improved player since Lampard came in mate, Iwobi gets most people's nods for that but just how good Holgate has been the last few months of last and start of this season has gone almost unnoticed.

He seems to have gotten rid of his 'sloppyness' and losing concentration that plagued him.

Think the sub appearance v Chelsea.was the best pure cb performance I've seen from him also. Basically won everything from set pieces in our box all game

I think he knows what he's doing and trust the people around him to do the same now so he can just concentrate on his own game.

I seem to remember a game under benitez where he got subbed on while we were defending a corner same as Chelsea but he panicked, tried to help keane, left his man, the ball got flicked on and the lad he was supposed to be marking got on the end of it.

GK: Pickford / Begovic (Lonergan)

RCB: Coleman / Holgate

CB: Coady / Keane

LCB: Tarkowski / Welsh

RWB: Patterson / Mills

LWB: Mykolenko/ Vinagre

DM: NEW / Davies (Warrington)

CM: Onana / Doucoure

AM: Iwobi / NEW

RW: Gray / McNeil

LW: Maupay / Gordon

ST: Calvert-Lewin / NEW / Rondon

Long Term Injured:
• Mina
• Godfrey
• Townsend

Surplus:
• Allan
• Andre Gomes

I'm of the opinion that Holgate has been the most improved player since Lampard came in mate, Iwobi gets most people's nods for that but just how good Holgate has been the last few months of last and start of this season has gone almost unnoticed.

He seems to have gotten rid of his 'sloppyness' and losing concentration that plagued him.

Think the sub appearance v Chelsea.was the best pure cb performance I've seen from him also. Basically won everything from set pieces in our box all game

It's a reasonable shout and theres probably a bit of symmetry between the two.

I think Holgate has always had ability, but probably lacked focus and application. That has been a lot better. He seems to be trying to avoid showing off, and making himself look a million dollars, and just doing the basics.

What I'd say in his defence, is he is 24/25 now. That's typically when CBs in the PL come into their own. You think of like Jagielka, Lescott etc, most kicked on at that point. Theres a reasonable case, that before that, he should have kicked on more. But look how many partners he has had, Mori, William's, Keane, Jagielka, Mina, Godfrey etc. None of them have probably given his the consistency that would have helped him, and hopefully Godfrey on his return.

I've been really impressed with Coady mate. He talks all game, is a proper leader. Its interesting 4 games in (3 league games) and 0 conceded off corners/set plays (indirect) so far.

The players we have brought in are not world beaters, but they are clearly good in the dressing room. A bit like your Carsleys, Nevilles, Weirs etc who always got a bit of stick back in the day, and while limited were all invaluable to us.

The other one who's surprised and impressed me, albeit 2 games in, has been Davies. Think it's his best 2 games since he broke into the team to be honest. You wonder again, the extent it is to have better pros behind him has in helping him in games. I know people think he was awful in those games, but I honestly thought he was better than Doucoure and ok.

If you go back over 2/3 season we’ve swapped every week or two between Holgate/ Keane/Mina and Godfrey.
I don’t think any of them have played in a partnership consistently, it’s probably been detrimental to all of them.
It’s the one position on a pitch you need a consistent pairing or three nowadays.
He has an experienced pair with him now and the more he plays every week the better he will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back