Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudus refusing to train to force a move might seem like a good thing rn

But could be a peek into his future attitude. Fofana did the same to force a move from St Etienne to Leicester. True to form he’s done it to force one from Leicester to Chelsea.

If we sign Kudus, is he likely to strike or potentially disrupt our squad in future?
I think it's a bit different though. From what I read, the lad wants to develop his career by moving to a better league, he doesn't necessarily expect to be a starter there.

Yet Ajax are denying him that and refusing to use him.

A few thoughts:
- I’m really impressed that we’re signing Gana, Onana and Garner (if it gets over the line) as well as committing (at least for now) to Iwobi as a central player. I was convinced we were just going to just make it work with the same old players especially considering our budget constraints but kudos to Lampard and his team for pushing on this. Our midfield has been holding us back for a long time - the PL is getting more and more competitive and we’ve needed more complete players there for a while

- I’m really pleased that Patterson is playing so well because I had a fear that Iwobi would be back to RWB if we brought in a couple or midfielders but it looks like we’ll be flexible with formations and Iwobi has only gotten better. Will be interesting to see if he now sometimes plays further up. Maybe starts games deeper then moves forward when we need to solidify.

- I’m still withholding judgment to see what kind of forward we can squeeze in. If it’s someone like Gakpo, Samuel C, Broja, Joao Pedro I’ll be really pleased. If we don’t bring anyone like that in, I’ll question the allocation of resources for sure. All will be important players for us this season, but the fees paid for McNeil, Gana (?) and Garner are adding up and I’ll wonder what kind of goal scorer that could have brought in. Seems like Gordon might be up to the task of replacing Richy’s goals, but as it stands we’re still too reliant on Dom’s health

- and last getting Coady on the deal we got him is looking like an absolute coup. Tarkowski has had a few mistakes but I love his leadership out there and has been otherwise solid.
Joao Pedro would be a brilliant signing who will get better each season. Huge talent, edge of the seat player.

I have mixed feelings about the reported refusal if true. In some ways, it's good that he wants to join us and may help us seal the deal at a reasonable price.

On the other hand, it could signal a poor attitude and we will not want bad eggs in our squad. The only hope is if this occurred we could sell him for a profit.
On the one hand, he's a player trying to get into a WC squad whose manager has told him his club role is injury cover.

On the other hand, I don't know how much playing time the move secures him if we're also bringing in Gana and Garner. Can't see us pushing Iwobi out wide, so where does he slot in? Wing? Is he displacing Onana, or getting the fixtures/substitutions when we need to pick a lock rather than bully midfield?

I think it's a bit different though. From what I read, the lad wants to develop his career by moving to a better league, he doesn't necessarily expect to be a starter there.

I can see both sides of it tbf. I’d be happy to take him as, from what you’ve said, he seems driven! But I suppose if we sign him and he does well we can’t be surprised if someone comes calling and he repeats his behaviour…

Yeah I think his frustration is understandable. Ajax won’t play him but won’t let him leave. Every young player wants to play football. And he’s got a World Cup place to play for.

On the one hand, he's a player trying to get into a WC squad whose manager has told him his club role is injury cover.

On the other hand, I don't know how much playing time the move secures him if we're also bringing in Gana and Garner. Can't see us pushing Iwobi out wide, so where does he slot in? Wing? Is he displacing Onana, or getting the fixtures/substitutions when we need to pick a lock rather than bully midfield?

he can play as a no10 too so gives us more options.

our bench was pathetic last night.

The whole Kudus transfer saga seems strange. Tier 1 ITKs said he was able to sign a couple of weeks ago, then apparently Ajax hadn't had an offer then the player goes on strike to try and force a move.

It wouldn't surprise me if the original reports were accurate, then Ajax pulled the plug due to the Antony sale, and Kudus is now trying to force through the move that Ajax had previously agreed to

I can see both sides of it tbf. I’d be happy to take him as, from what you’ve said, he seems driven! But I suppose if we sign him and he does well we can’t be surprised if someone comes calling and he repeats his behaviour…
I see what you're saying but I view it quite differently. If, for example, Gordon had gone on strike to force the move to Chelsea, that would say a lot about his character as he would be aggressively attempting to swap first team football for Chelsea's bench.

If however, we had a manager like Koeman or Allardyce, who refused to play him because he is young but wouldn't let him move either in case we get injuries, I could well understand it.

Also, Kudus has been their best player in pre-season and still isn't being given a go. It's a powerplay by their manager and I can well understand the lad's frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back