Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it’s just that we’ve lost just Kenny in defence vs last season, but gained Coady, Tarkowski and Vinagre

So it’s shored up in terms of numbers

Plus, the defence has been dogged with injuries. Coady and Tarkowski have very good injury records

They’re both also experienced and leaders by nature, which we’ve been lacking
I think they are great additions mate, no qualms about them but we still concede silly goals. I’m extremely concerned about our options going forward however, we are in massive trouble imo due to the inability of this club to sign players in this area. Call me a knee jerker or whatever, but after we get pumped by Liverpool and arsenal let’s see what people think.

I think they are great additions mate, no qualms about them but we still concede silly goals. I’m extremely concerned about our options going forward however, we are in massive trouble imo due to the inability of this club to sign players in this area. Call me a knee jerker or whatever, but after we get pumped by Liverpool and arsenal let’s see what people think.
It’s not ideal re the attackers

Think Frank did as well as he could have re defence additions - exceeded expectations there perhaps - and midfield

It needs the forwards we have to step up. Gordon will be expecting 10+ goals now I guess, and perhaps Gray

I wouldn’t expect anything amazing re Liverpool, but hopefully robust enough now to stay up and build from there

If we get get pumped by two of the best teams in the league it’s no need for a knee jerk reaction. We need to be better at beating the teams around us. I’m hopeful (maybe misguided) to think that we will. Bournemouth lost 9-0, Forest lost 6-0. They are the teams we need to get results against

We shut Chelsea out barring a silly challenge for a pen, JP howler gifted Forest their only goal and Brentford and Leeds I think we had so little belief in our ability to kill the game that we started sitting on the lead far too early and were punished.

Now we have a midfield that hopefully won’t shirk challenges and be overrun like in those games, you’d hope we don’t collapse in on ourselves the same way and those 1-1s become 1-0s to us. In any rebuild like this, the “hard to beat” stage always comes first so there’ll be a lot of snoozers, but fingers crossed this regime does well enough to earn a sustained crack at a proper rebuild.
As you say mate, we have a midfield that won’t be overrun. Still offers nothing going forward though unless onana has the ability to get forward and grab a few goals (which I’d like to see him try now gana and garner are here). I love how we’ve signed promising young players on just extremely concerned that we are powder puff up top. Neil Maupay doesn’t change that for me, we needed another striker and a winger to change that.

If we get get pumped by two of the best teams in the league it’s no need for a knee jerk reaction. We need to be better at beating the teams around us. I’m hopeful (maybe misguided) to think that we will. Bournemouth lost 9-0, Forest lost 6-0. They are the teams we need to get results against
3 points from 7 games is exactly the time people will knee jerk mate.

As you say mate, we have a midfield that won’t be overrun. Still offers nothing going forward though unless onana has the ability to get forward and grab a few goals (which I’d like to see him try now gana and garner are here). I love how we’ve signed promising young players on just extremely concerned that we are powder puff up top. Neil Maupay doesn’t change that for me, we needed another striker and a winger to change that.
If the other side doesn't have all of the ball and we aren't hemmed in deep, we should relieve some pressure on the back four and get some set pieces off the counter. There's a big difference between picking up cynical yellows in your own half and picking them up 25-30 yards out.

Nonsense. Other than not getting another forward we’ve massively improved our defence and even more so improved our midfield. Last summer transfer window was a shocker, spending hundreds of millions on garbage was a shocker improving our squad overall definitely isn’t a shocker.

Genuinely starting to think you’re just a genuinely really good troll that posts stuff that is so bad it’s exactly the type of stuff Dwight from the office would post if he was on this forum.
Get lost! We have improved the squad, I have said as much (apart from McNeil who is diabolical).

I have a major pet peeve in life that I cannot stand incompetence, which is very tricky when you are an Evertonian. There are positive signs that the club is starting to address some of the issues that have blighted it for years, but we only stayed up by the skin of our teeth last year and every other team has improved (bar Leicester who were way better than us last year anyway).

It is absolutely negligent to not deal with our forward options. We currently have: Gordon (bags of potential but we don't know if he can score consistently), Gray (so inconsistent it is untrue), McNeil (an awful footballer, who doesn't shoot, never mind score), Maupay (a hard worker who has some positive attributes but someone who also is poor in front of goal), Rondon (done), Townsend (possibly done) and are relying on a forward who has suffered 18 months of injury problems to stay fit and find his form in DCL. That is terrible management of the situation.

Then factor in that none of our midfielders are the goalscoring kind, and you have yourself a real problem.

It was certainly worth taking a Guirassy or Ajorque etc on loan and then seeing what else we could get instead of doing what we did. Anyone with a brain knew we'd be running round panic bidding for Brereton Diaz etc.

Without goals you generally don't stay up in this league, no how well-organised you are. Wolves were the exception, but even with our improved defence we are conceding every game. But sure, call me a troll.
NSNO baby ?

Another option up front would obviously have been a big plus, but honestly, I think Maupay might surprise people. He could easily become a favourite. He doesnt even need to be prolific. I think him doing what he does best will provide us more opportunities. Kind of the way Marcus Bent did. But i do actually think he could improve his return in this team as well.

I also think with players we've signed, coupled with what we went through last year, we have massively improved the overall character and mental strength of the side. So many more hard nosed, determined players. We've been far too soft for far too long.

I think a lot of teams and their fans are going to genuinely hate playing against us, probably for the 1st time since we had Moyes.

If we can get our injured players fit again, i think we now have the makings of a pretty decent squad. These things take time, and obviously, there are still a few players we would like to move on, and a couple more positions we would love to have strengthened. But the fact we are in this position after 1 window shows the work that has been done. It also feels like the beginnings of a genuine plan being put into place, for the 1st time in a long time.

We need a bit of patience, but i have a good feeling about the direction we are in and the leaps we have made already.

I know its always difficult with Everton, but lets try and be positive for a change.

If the other side doesn't have all of the ball and we aren't hemmed in deep, we should relieve some pressure on the back four and get some set pieces off the counter. There's a big difference between picking up cynical yellows in your own half and picking them up 25-30 yards out.
You know that in the majority of the games though, the way we set up, teams are having over 60% possession. We just sit and sit and sit, that seems to be the plan and just give it to Gordon and see if he can get us 30 yards up the pitch. Dunno, I want to proved absolutely wrong but I just feel like we’re in exactly the same position as last year. I’d bite your hand off for 17th.

3 points from 7 games is exactly the time people will knee jerk mate.
I don't think that could be considered knee Jerk either; firmly in the bottom 3 after 7 games played and yet to keep a clean sheet. I'm hopeful we get a couple of points in these next two games, keep the tally ticking and confidence grows from there but that's me being optimistic. Realist says we should/will get no points.

I don't think that could be considered knee Jerk either; firmly in the bottom 3 after 7 games played and yet to keep a clean sheet I'm hopeful we get a couple of points in these next two games, keep the tally ticking and confidence grows from there but that's me being optimistic. Realist says we should/will get no points.
I agree mate, I was half pandering to the other posters point of view as well. I think we get well beaten on Saturday and arsenal the same. What’s positive about being bottom after 7 games? The last 6 years of chronic mismanagement are truly coming home to roost.

You know that in the majority of the games though, the way we set up, teams are having over 60% possession. We just sit and sit and sit, that seems to be the plan and just give it to Gordon and see if he can get us 30 yards up the pitch. Dunno, I want to proved absolutely wrong but I just feel like we’re in exactly the same position as last year. I’d bite your hand off for 17th.
If we play a midfield three with three actual midfielders that can close down and generally do midfielder things, which should now be an option, we should have a lot more of the ball. The opposition should also have it in much less dangerous spaces than they do now, on average.

We've shown over the last couple of years that we can turtle up against the Sky 6, withstand that kind of pressure and get a result a good fraction of the time, but we've been very lacking against the rest of the league because we didn't have the ability to contest the center of the pitch. That should now change.

I don't think that could be considered knee Jerk either; firmly in the bottom 3 after 7 games played and yet to keep a clean sheet. I'm hopeful we get a couple of points in these next two games, keep the tally ticking and confidence grows from there but that's me being optimistic. Realist says we should/will get no points.
We're going to get beaten soundly at the Emirates. Saturday is the pickup opportunity. After that, we need to start taking the three points from some opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back