Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to factor in though, the club as standard loses what 50m a season due to wages or whatever. I know there's probably about 40m coming off the wage bill, but we will need to replace a lot of that.

So essentially a couple of big sales will really help us.

I've been thinking about this over the last few days mate, a key thing for and something that has evolved is the squad no - come July 1st we will be down to about 24 players in the squad, that is down from the mid 30's in its height.

24 give or take is the perfect no for the finances we should be punching at. The difficulty we had in the past, was with he collection of managers we had in the past, we would simply back them and build another lare or players over ones we wouldn't use and they would just sit there, decrease in profile and as an investment, take wages and eventually fall of the contract conveyer belt.

I agree all clubs will inevitably make losses and we have to accept a degree of loss as the nature of football dictates it, its the scale of it and the level of risk, we are clearly sailing close to the wind.

I suppose the point im getting at is we are hitting ground zero in terms of a good sized manageable squad, that could probably do with shedding a few high earners, Yerry, Gomes, we need recruits undoubtedly, but id be very reluctant, to be increasing the squad number again, or building another lare of new players over existing ones unless we cut our cloth accordingly in the squad.

Im very reluctant to let DCL or Richarlision go unless either of the two took the initiative themselves, which isn't impossible in fact may be likely, i worry we are not good enough to: 1. To recruit well to fill the hole they are likely to leave. 2. Be good enough to compete without them.

Last edited:
More than anything we need mobile capable central midfielders and we also need a no. 10 because even though we signed so many in recent years the closest we have to a no. 10 now is Dele.

I'd say it is probably fair to say Tarkowski has peaked. The hope would be he can maintain his level, or close to it for 3-4 years and the decline wouldn't be that big.
I would say though, he is better than what we have, but perhaps more importantly gives us a lot of the things we are missing as a team.

The point you make is a fair one. You can't have an entire strategy based around inflated wages of lads in their late 20's on bosmans. But sometimes there are circumstances that are the exceptions to that rule.
I'm not particularly against signing Tarkowski to be honest. I'd want another centre half with a different profile aswell, and he'd have to be the only player in that age bracket we brought in, but I'm not saying it'd be a terrible piece of business. I was more just commenting on the fact that it really isn't uncommon for players in his position to take a dip at this point, when somebody was suggesting the opposite.

I do think some people are hugely overstating how good he is though, he's been a mainstay in a team that's finished between 15th and 18th in the majority of seasons he's been in the PL, and he has considerably less England caps than Michael Keane. This idea that we'd be mad to turn our noses up at him is a bit of a bizarre one.

….can’t say I’ve watched Tarkowski much, interested in his mobility and pace. Seems a proper, old fashioned defender to me, not sure how he’d fit in a back 3.

Mina would leave if he doesn’t want to see out his deal. i like Branthwaite but I wonder if he might be one the club would let go, even in respect of a loan to get his wages off the books. Keane and Holgate won’t be going anywhere.

I saw United linked with Brainthwaite. If someone came in, and tested our resolve with a 15m bid, it may be too tempting to turn down at this point.

If we signed Tarkowski then we'd almost certainly be selling one of Keane/Mina.

If we use 4 at the back we either have Branthwaite as backup to Tarkowski or hold onto one of the other 2 and loan Branthwaite.

I think its pretty straightforward if we plan on using a back 4. Then of course it gets more interesting if the plan is for a back 5 and/or if we bring in Colwill as well.

….can’t say I’ve watched Tarkowski much, interested in his mobility and pace. Seems a proper, old fashioned defender to me, not sure how he’d fit in a back 3.

Mina would leave if he doesn’t want to see out his deal. i like Branthwaite but I wonder if he might be one the club would let go, even in respect of a loan to get his wages off the books. Keane and Holgate won’t be going anywhere.

How much do you think Branthwaite is on exactly p/w? Letting him leave loan/sale wouldn't even put a dent in our wage bill.

Not the biggest fan and talent wise I don't see much between him and Keane, but......

One big difference is that Tarkowski is a leader/organizer type who takes charge and doesn't seem to have confidence made of tissue paper. Mina aside that's what we have a total absence of throughout the centre of the park.

With a 'youngish' set of defenders and a new who are prone to mistakes, then can see the sense in him being a target.

Tarkowski on 90k p/w, Keane leaving for a fee (say 10m) think Keane's on a bigger wage than 90k as well, and pretty much no difference in age (plus Tarkowski won't have the Keane baggage of all those horrid games for us)

In isolation it'd be a deal that made good financial sense and probably sense in terms of overall strengthening the position.

Keane’s talent has never been the problem

Tarkowski is also a proper leader at the back. Barely ever misses a game too.
Yes, Ive just read over the last 4 seasons he's played something like 34 games 36 games 35 games 37 games each season.
I'd say one of our biggest issues is not just the quality of our CBs but the fitness of them over the course of a season.

He will improve us in defence but im not overly excited in us signing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back