Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be so Everton to replace the non-scoring, non-assisting nothingness of Andre Gomes with the non-scoring, non-assisting nothingness of Harry Winks.

…I’m not advocating buying Winks but too much is made of central midfielders who don’t score many goals. You need to look at the records of Harvey (18 in 320); Kendall ( 21 in 233) and Bracewell ( 7 in 95) Reid (8 in 159). Deservedly recognised as Legends.

We need goals and creativity in the team but certain players have different but equally important roles.

Last edited:
Despite the transfer window not even officially opening yet, I find it difficult to suppress the severe concerns that I have about our ability to rebuild our squad this summer with the amount of quality that it truly needs, and the consequences that I think we'll face if we aren't able to add 4-5 new players into the first 11.

I'm of the opinion that last season was no fluke and that our squad is a genuine bottom 5-6 Premier League side. If we do not improve it, then survival is the ceiling of our ambition. However, until we sell players we appear to be completely restricted to free agents and loans until we can generate some funds. If that is indeed the case, then I think we absolutely have to get a move on and try and generate some money.

As a club we need to seriously get past our phobia of selling players. There is always better quality to be found and we shouldn't allow the mistakes we've made when player trading in the past cloud our vision that the same would happen again. This isn't like the Moyes years where we had genuine quality all over the pitch and the general feeling was that 1-2 top quality players on top of what we had would propel us into genuine top 4 contention. We're talking about a group of players who had to come from two-nil down on match 37 to guarantee survival, they are a really poor bunch.

Anyone and everyone should be up for sale at this point if that's what is needed to make a splash in the market.
I mean, that's just not correct
  • Premier League: Opens June 10 and closes on Sept. 1 at 6 p.m. ET

I mean, that's just not true
  • Premier League: Opens June 10 and closes on Sept. 1 at 6 p.m. ET
Apologies, I was talking more broadly about registering new players when their new contracts start (July 1). Should have phrased it better.

…I’m not advocating buying Winks but too much is made of central midfielders who don’t score many goals. You need to look at the records of Harvey/Kendall and Bracewell/Reid.

We need goals and creativity in the team but certain players have different but equally important roles.
Spurs were challenging near the top of the table and got to a european cup final with Winks and Sissoko as first choice next to Eriksen...

I'm not sure that approach ever really bears fruit. At least not at clubs where the off-field operations are as chaotic as ours.

When I look at Tottenham finishing 4th and Everton 16th, I see the difference being Kane, Son and Kulusevski elevating a group of otherwise fairly ordinary players, similar to what Suarez and Sterling did when Liverpool almost won the league under Rodgers.

To me, the biggest problem we have is that our best (not to mention highest-earning) players aren't anything special.

I think that's probably true, but honestly Spurs depth, even beyond those players is far beyond ours. I'd sort of argue the opposite, like our best players, would be squad players for them. They have a squad filled with lads at at least Doucoure level.

I'm not sure I see sense in our position, of not playing Doucoure.

George Michael
James Tarkowski -
Matt Law
Oleksandr Zinchenko - The Athletic

Andrew Ridgeley
Gavin Bazunu -
Daniel McDonnell

** Cameron Carter-Vickers - Larry Henry Jr ** Jack Harrison - Graeme Bailey ** Valentin Castellanos - tuttomercatoweb ** Conor Gallagher - Dean Jones ** Armando Broja - Dean Jones ** Miguel Almiron - Roberto Rojas ** Levi Colwill - Ekrem Konur ** Eric Ramires - SportsWitness ** Joao Palhinha - RecordPT ** Chris Maxwell - LancsLive ** Cheick Doucoure - Charlie Parker-Turner ** Christian Eriksen - Simon Jones ** Brennan Johnson - Miguel Delaney ** Kalidou Koulibaly - Dylan Walsh ** Clement Lenglet - @Sport ** Kristoffer Ajer - The Athletic ** Maxwell Cornet - Mike McGrath ** James Garner - The Athletic ** Manor Solomon - tuttomercatoweb ** Adrien Truffert - RMC ** Kim Min-Jae - Sabah Gazetesi ** Ben Mee - MirrorAnderson ** Jesse Lingard - La Gazzetta dello Sport ** Billy Gilmour - Paul Brown ** Stephy Mavididi - FabrizioRomano ** Luka Milivojevic - sportimegreece ** Steven Bergwijn - Simon Jones ** Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Adrian Kajumba ** Keane Lewis-Potter - El bobble ** Rodrigo Becao - tuttoudinese ** Adama Traore - Football Insider ** Juan Cuadrado - calciomercato ** Georginio Rutter - BenjWin ** Jamie Cumming - Simon Phillips ** Luka Jovic - Teamtalk ** Harry Winks - Matt Law ** Otávio Edmilson da Silva Monteiro - Eljogo ** Emmanuel Dennis - @louorns ** Rodrigo Becão - Rich Jones ** Matheus Nunes - footmercato ** Zaidu Sanusi - Record_Portugal ** Dwight McNeil - Graeme Bailey ** Hamza Choudhury - Tom Hopkinson ** Owen Wijndal - @MikeVerweij **

giphy.gif

…I’m not advocating buying Winks but too much is made of central midfielders who don’t score many goals. You need to look at the records of Harvey (18 in 320); Kendall ( 21 in 233) and Bracewell ( 7 in 95) Reid (8 in 159). Deservedly recognised as Legends.

I've kind of come around in Winks a bit. I wouldnt be paying big money for him, but if a loan were available, or he was an add on to a 50m Richarlison bid I think he would do ok.

For me hes sort of the opposite of Gomes. Who will have 1 unbelievable game then 3 or 4 awful ones. Winks seems the sort of lad who will have 8 average games, 1 good game and 1 poor game in 10. Hes steady. He keeps the game ticking over. He does the simple things well, I.e recieves the ball off the back 4 and distributes it.

Probably a bit like Darren Gibson when he came, and people were unsure of, he was very good for a period of time, largely at just doing the simple things well. I'd say he was as good as any of our midfielders, and if hes available cheaply it would be a reasonable option.

We need more goals from players like Gordon next season.

George Michael
James Tarkowski -
Matt Law

Andrew Ridgeley
Gavin Bazunu -
Daniel McDonnell

** Cameron Carter-Vickers - Larry Henry Jr ** Jack Harrison - Graeme Bailey ** Valentin Castellanos - tuttomercatoweb ** Conor Gallagher - Dean Jones ** Armando Broja - Dean Jones ** Miguel Almiron - Roberto Rojas ** Levi Colwill - Ekrem Konur ** Eric Ramires - SportsWitness ** Joao Palhinha - RecordPT ** Chris Maxwell - LancsLive ** Cheick Doucoure - Charlie Parker-Turner ** Christian Eriksen - Simon Jones ** Brennan Johnson - Miguel Delaney ** Kalidou Koulibaly - Dylan Walsh ** Clement Lenglet - @Sport ** Kristoffer Ajer - The Athletic ** Maxwell Cornet - Mike McGrath ** James Garner - The Athletic ** Manor Solomon - tuttomercatoweb ** Adrien Truffert - RMC ** Kim Min-Jae - Sabah Gazetesi ** Ben Mee - MirrorAnderson ** Jesse Lingard - La Gazzetta dello Sport ** Billy Gilmour - Paul Brown ** Stephy Mavididi - FabrizioRomano ** Luka Milivojevic - sportimegreece ** Steven Bergwijn - Simon Jones ** Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Adrian Kajumba ** Keane Lewis-Potter - El bobble ** Rodrigo Becao - tuttoudinese ** Adama Traore - Football Insider ** Juan Cuadrado - calciomercato ** Georginio Rutter - BenjWin ** Jamie Cumming - Simon Phillips ** Luka Jovic - Teamtalk ** Harry Winks - Matt Law ** Otávio Edmilson da Silva Monteiro - Eljogo ** Emmanuel Dennis - @louorns ** Rodrigo Becão - Rich Jones ** Matheus Nunes - footmercato ** Zaidu Sanusi - Record_Portugal ** Dwight McNeil - Graeme Bailey ** Hamza Choudhury - Tom Hopkinson ** Owen Wijndal - @MikeVerweij **

giphy.gif
I can't say I'm well versed on the old Wham! code, but wouldn't Zinchenko being elevated to George Michael status mean he warrants his own thread?

Or are we trying not to give that rumour the kiss of death by opening one?

George Michael
James Tarkowski -
Matt Law

Andrew Ridgeley
Gavin Bazunu -
Daniel McDonnell

giphy.gif

That Dutch reporter knows his stuff from the morning.

George Michael
James Tarkowski -
Matt Law

Andrew Ridgeley
Gavin Bazunu -
Daniel McDonnell

giphy.gif

Still quite an underwhelming list.

Next season Onyango should be pressing for games in the first team and his role would largely be as a defensive midfielder.

box to box, gets all over the pitch. actually doesnt use his size and athleticism to full advantage yet, hopefully that will come.

….even without the hair, both are very tall.

i don’t see Onyango as anywhere near as effective as Fellaini at this point.

No, but he's still pretty young. Could easily fill out. Fellaini was, what, 21/22 when he signed with us?

Could he not act as 'back up' to Doucoure ?

I can't say I'm well versed on the old Wham! code, but wouldn't Zinchenko being elevated to George Michael status mean he warrants his own thread?

Or are we trying not to give that rumour the kiss of death by opening one?
Hes George due to 2 tier 1 sources saying theres interest, Fab and The Athletic, as for own threads, thats not my department.
Still quite an underwhelming list.
Turd the lot of them.
That Dutch reporter knows his stuff from the morning.
Hes a decent source, but I cant find his link to the player so im unsure of the wording.

Hes George due to 2 tier 1 sources saying theres interest, Fab and The Athletic, as for own threads, thats not my department.

Turd the lot of them.

Hes a decent source, but I cant find his link to the player so im unsure of the wording.

Just hope the reporting is wide of the mark.

And Kevin gets his skates on, the lazy lazy man.

I've kind of come around in Winks a bit. I wouldnt be paying big money for him, but if a loan were available, or he was an add on to a 50m Richarlison bid I think he would do ok.

For me hes sort of the opposite of Gomes. Who will have 1 unbelievable game then 3 or 4 awful ones. Winks seems the sort of lad who will have 8 average games, 1 good game and 1 poor game in 10. Hes steady. He keeps the game ticking over. He does the simple things well, I.e recieves the ball off the back 4 and distributes it.

Probably a bit like Darren Gibson when he came, and people were unsure of, he was very good for a period of time, largely at just doing the simple things well. I'd say he was as good as any of our midfielders, and if hes available cheaply it would be a reasonable option.

We need more goals from players like Gordon next season.
For me Winks would be a fine Delph replacement. Is not afraid of having the ball at his feet and recycles it around. A lot of that is sideways and short passes, but that’s exactly what Delph did and when he played it settled everyone around him.

But at the quoted 20m, that would be a horrendous decision. At a Delph price or a bit lower, sign me up. Just don’t think we are getting that from Levy.

Status
Not open for further replies.