Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was last years Winks. No one wanted him," I am done with this club buying players from teams like Soton etc etc" We will never get anywhere with players like Hjoiberg" etc etc
That's odd. Southampton has moved on numerous quality footballers over the past several years. Admittedly the one we bought was pretty crap, but it shouldn't sour us on the whole concept.

George Michael
James Tarkowski -
Matt Law
Oleksandr Zinchenko - The Athletic
Harry Winks - Matt Law
Keane Lewis-Potter - El bobble

Andrew Ridgeley
Gavin Bazunu - Daniel McDonnell **
Cameron Carter-Vickers - Larry Henry Jr ** Jack Harrison - Graeme Bailey ** Valentin Castellanos - tuttomercatoweb ** Conor Gallagher - Dean Jones ** Armando Broja - Dean Jones ** Miguel Almiron - Roberto Rojas ** Levi Colwill - Ekrem Konur ** Eric Ramires - SportsWitness ** Joao Palhinha - RecordPT ** Chris Maxwell - LancsLive ** Cheick Doucoure - Charlie Parker-Turner ** Christian Eriksen - Simon Jones ** Brennan Johnson - Miguel Delaney ** Kalidou Koulibaly - Dylan Walsh ** Clement Lenglet - @Sport ** Kristoffer Ajer - The Athletic ** Maxwell Cornet - Mike McGrath ** James Garner - The Athletic ** Manor Solomon - tuttomercatoweb ** Adrien Truffert - RMC ** Kim Min-Jae - Sabah Gazetesi ** Ben Mee - MirrorAnderson ** Jesse Lingard - La Gazzetta dello Sport ** Billy Gilmour - Paul Brown ** Stephy Mavididi - FabrizioRomano ** Luka Milivojevic - sportimegreece ** Steven Bergwijn - Simon Jones ** Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Adrian Kajumba ** Rodrigo Becao - tuttoudinese ** Adama Traore - Football Insider ** Juan Cuadrado - calciomercato ** Georginio Rutter - BenjWin ** Jamie Cumming - Simon Phillips ** Luka Jovic - Teamtalk ** Otávio Edmilson da Silva Monteiro - Eljogo ** Emmanuel Dennis - @louorns ** Rodrigo Becão - Rich Jones ** Matheus Nunes - footmercato ** Zaidu Sanusi - Record_Portugal ** Dwight McNeil - Graeme Bailey ** Hamza Choudhury - Tom Hopkinson ** Owen Wijndal - @MikeVerweij ** Pape Abou Cissé - Ekrem Konur ** Andrey Santos - Le10Sport **

OrneryAmbitiousArmednylonshrimp-max-1mb.gif

It is painful to see us reduced to the Likes of Winks and Choudary but this is where we are now.
Bit weird to lump them both together when one is a Leicester player that can't even get in their team and has done nothing in his career and the other is a regular for Spurs who fight for top 4, started for Spurs in a Champions League final and is an England international. This is one thing I really can't understand with our fans, if we're linked with a player they're either A. "world beater and far too good for us, won't come" or B. "utter crap, don't bother with him".

Is there anything to be said for a player that you know will give you at least a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. It's the same with Tarkowski, lad will come in and be far away our best defender but he's crap because he played for Burnley, despite them literally turning down bids for £30m for him like last year. This doesn't even take into account that we were literally one of the worst teams in the league last year, do people expect us to sign world class players, despite being broke and despite being crap ourselves?

Bit weird to lump them both together when one is a Leicester player that can't even get in their team and has done nothing in his career and the other is a regular for Spurs who fight for top 4, started for Spurs in a Champions League final and is an England international. This is one thing I really can't understand with our fans, if we're linked with a player they're either A. "world beater and far too good for us, won't come" or B. "utter crap, don't bother with him".

Is there anything to be said for a player that you know will give you at least a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. It's the same with Tarkowski, lad will come in and be far away our best defender but he's crap because he played for Burnley, despite them literally turning down bids for £30m for him like last year. This doesn't even take into account that we were literally one of the worst teams in the league last year, do people expect us to sign world class players, despite being broke and despite being crap ourselves?
Think many people just want to see a big improvement and the players mentioned whilst bringing stability, are pretty dour names in all reality.

If they had a few decent games then all that would be forgotten of course. Football fans are very fickle in that respect.

19 premier league appearances for Winks last season (many as a sub). That is a regular to you? I am not expecting world class players. I am am expecting some imagination from our recruitment team. By signing players over 25 who are unlikely to improve further we are not going to progress and we will not be able to command a good fee for them in the future to build the squad. How can we get out of this rut if we keep on making decisions like this? I am not against Tarkowski as he is on a free and has qualities we are lacking. Winks is very similar to Tom Davies in profile. It is depressing that we can’t identify better options in other leagues for £20m. They are definitely out there.

It will be interesting to compare us with Leeds next season. Both narrowly avoided relegation, both look to be selling our best player. They are looking to recruit from abroad whilst we are looking domestically. If we end up with Winks, Tarkowski and a couple of Chelsea loanees it tells you a lot about our recruitment process/team or lack of it.

I think they are terrified of taking risks. God forbid we sign a relatively unknown player from Belgium or France for example for £15m that turns out to be worth £60m in a year or two.

It's all safety first but the problem there is that it's massively inhibiting. They know what Winks offers, which in my opinion is next to nothing, but somehow this type of signing always trumps the unknown quantity.

If he doesn't come with a sicknote then he might be part of a group that gets us from 16th to 14th, but problems and all we still don't have to accept that as a given. We can and should do better. There is little chance of resale value here, and complete anathema to the "Buy low, sell high and reinvest" strategy that should be so central that everyone in player recruitment is indoctrinated with it to the point of exhaustion.

It's a black mark against both Thelwell and Lampard as I see it if Winks is considered the best we can do. It tells us to expect little more than more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.