Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank explained when he got injured. They were happy with expecting Dom to be fitter than last season (great preseason) and Rondon as cover with Gordon/Gray filling in as a false 9 when needed. The Gana deal was being nogotiated, he said that they would not be going for a big signing to cover Dom, just a stop gap.

The rest of the hysteria on here has been generated amongst various posters, it is always the same.

Not saying I agree McNeil replacing Richy but the other deals look to be decent.
Mate, we can't score. If the plan really was for DCL to be bombproof, then it was a bad plan.

We should not sell this close to the window as we will end being fleeced for second rate players.

Hold him, let Frank develop him as he wants to. It doesn't matter what the FIFA massive think, the serious heads in football can all see what Gordon has in his locker. He will 100% be even better this season so next season I'd expect a value nearer or above Grealishs.
But the thing is even though Gordon has (somehow) gone from 0 to someone bidding 50m in one season, the journey from 50m to the region of 100m is a lot harder. It requires him to add an awful lot to his game that we haven’t seen yet, it requires actual achievement and actual end product, not just potential. I’d still rather Chelsea take that gamble than us.

I do agree we’d be in danger of getting fleeced if we suddenly find 15m players being priced at 25m. But my argument is for a two tier approach: rather than spread the Gordon money too thin essentially do whatever we could’ve done anyway and squeeze everything we can out of the existing budget with loans etc.

Then take the Gordon money if it comes and spend big on a real quality replacement. If you spend, say 35-40 or even more on one player then you will get a player who, right now, is a better player than Gordon.

Just baffled.

I don't get it.

If we can afford to sign the likes of Che Adams for £25m, or Ben Brereton for £15m - why wait until now? Why weren't they in ages ago?

If we didn't have the funds, why haven't we prioritised buying them before others like Onana as quite clearly, we need strikers.

Did we not have the money to fund them upfront without selling Gordon?

Sell Gordon for £50m+£10m add ons.

Buy Che Adams for £25m, Ben Brereton for £15m, and Gana. Maybe a loan for Broja in there too.

If that happens, it'll be interesting to look back in a few years to see how good a deal that is...
I think the Onana signing was forced because of West Hams interest. He probably wasn’t a priority signing at the time, but the club had to act as WH had agreed a fee. A striker or two should have been a priority from the start though.

I think essentially we're looking to fill the role Tosun - was supposed to do mate, that squad spot - its a hard thing to do in the PL to get a good second striker - id be very concerned at investing £25 mill in it, especially when we could do with a couple of inside /wide forwards, a creative midfielder and a playmaker as well. Che Adams tells me we are well down our list of targets and the market is limited.

We should have taken Batshuayi on a knockdown fee/free way before Chelsea showed interest in Gordon in reality

People celebrated getting rid of them at the time and tried to rationalise replacing them with Gray and Townsend.
Nah mate, I and many others were fuming at James getting punted out by Benitez!

Sigurdsson was crap from open play but yeah we definitely missed his 10 or so goals/assists last season as we effectively replaced him with Gordon who is nowhere near that return even though he works hard.

What’s most infuriating is Sigurdsson had already gone into hiding long before James was booted out.

Just ready for this to be over now been pathetic from the club have let us fans down again. We have all backed the other players the club have got in but to still not to have a cf. just poor from all of them, i hope they can bring in quality or it shows they have wasted it and just bought in poor alternatives as they have left it to late

Totally. It’s not like they were perfect players, obvious flaws. Lack of pace for one and made worse by a slow immobile midfield. What they did have though, is quality in the final third, good delivery.

People celebrated getting rid of them at the time and tried to rationalise replacing them with Gray and Townsend. Same has happened with Richie, Digne etc. We’ve systematically stripped quality in the final third out of the team. Instead of replacing them with similar quality but without the flaws, like lack of pace, we’ve massively downgraded on quality.

We now don’t have any reliable match winners, difference makers. It’s been happening right under our noses last few years and if you called it out you’re a bed wetter. This has been the clear trajectory but some refuse(d) to see it. Reap what we’ve sown.
Wages. This club goes nowhere/backwards getting in more James and Sigs.
Need to gamble a bit on lower wage players, bring em through, realise potential, sell higher.
Investment in youth attracts better youth.
And think Lampard fits right into this picture in contrast to someone like Carlo.
And we do have DCL.

I think the Onana signing was forced because of West Hams interest. He probably wasn’t a priority signing at the time, but the club had to act as WH had agreed a fee. A striker or two should have been a priority from the start though.
It was the manager who pushed for the Onana signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.