Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been around the block … ?

my view is to Ask what could go right. Not everything will be crap always. Dominic Calvert-Lewin will be back. Will he stay fit, dunno. Will he score 15, dunno, but I choose the believe there are worse squads in this league than us. Southampton for one
OK, so your choosing to believe things. So you're wishing that we'll be ok. I'd rather go with a more practical approach.

If we were to only score 40 goals we will have to be much better defensively than we have been so far. In our first three league games we have conceded four goals, over a season at that rate we would concede 50 goals. If we only score 40 then we'll have big problems. We're not good enough at the back to be this bad up front.

I also disagree with your analysis that we're broadly comparable to 9 other teams. We are in a group with Bournemouth, Forest, Fulham, Southampton in my opinion. Everyone else is superior.

I mean if we concede 50 and score 40 you will generally stay up.
As for the others, I'm afraid I just don't see sides like Brentford, Villa (under Gerrard) or Wolves as miles better. There are probably 4 or 5 others. There's a lot of poor teams, of which we are certainly one.

I'm just getting ready to serve my barbie mate. I'm not swerving it. I've done a few posts outlining why we shouldn't be negative. Not my fault why you haven't read them. search my posts if you want. There's a few.
There's thousands of posts a day, sorry I haven't been tracking yours specifically. What I will say is that you're happy to denigrate other posters for being negative but not happy to highlight a single positive when challenged on your blithely optimistic standpoint.

If we were to only score 40 goals we will have to be much better defensively than we have been so far. In our first three league games we have conceded four goals, over a season at that rate we would concede 50 goals. If we only score 40 then we'll have big problems. We're not good enough at the back to be this bad up front.

I also disagree with your analysis that we're broadly comparable to 9 other teams. We are in a group with Bournemouth, Forest, Fulham, Southampton in my opinion. Everyone else is superior.
the way I see it is that we don't have the players to play 3/5 at the back.
It could work with the right players which is why Gana is a must.
Even then, trying to get your team playing the kind of football that suits 2 in the middle is not the same as the kind needed in a relegation dogfight.
We're building a whole system that assumes we have excellent players that are challenging for CL spots.
Sooner or later we'll revert to 4-3-3 having wasted months and millions on 3-5-2

Again, lets take a look after the window shuts but it's mind boggling how unprepared we are given we knew we wanted to play this way and we'd have no Richarlison.

Agree totally, if Gordon goes we need 3, with 7 days to go, a striker, and 2 attacking players, winger and attacking mid, as well as Gana.

It’s not really ranting to simply point out that Iwobi has 4 goals in 86 games. Nor is it incoherent. This squad has an embarrassing lack of goals in it as it currently stands, it’s as simple as that.
So would you spend 60m on a 4 goal a season attacking midfielder. Or would you scream because you sold one. Neither reactions is sensible… single data points.

btw. Saying respectfully, is, well, anything but respectful

I mean if we concede 50 and score 40 you will generally stay up.
As for the others, I'm afraid I just don't see sides like Brentford, Villa (under Gerrard) or Wolves as miles better. There are probably 4 or 5 others. There's a lot of poor teams, of which we are certainly one.
Well, we have evidence, albeit from a very small sample, that 50 goals conceded is realistic but have no evidence other than wishful thinking that we will score 40 (on current goals per game we are on for about 25 goals). We're in big trouble.

At the moment I would have us going down.

But margins can be tight and IF we do the right business the turnaround can happen. If we don't the season will be tortuous.

But we're not there yet. We're not a million miles from mid-table and with three/four signings we could improve significantly.

People are tense and nervous and rightly so. We'll see where we stand in a weeks time. Till then prophesies of doom won't put points on the board and won't make anyone feel better either.

If, and yes another if, they balls it up again then they deserve everything that's thrown at them.

I think we are better than all 4 of them.

Well of course a lot of those squads have baggage. We don't have a monopoly on baggage. If anything our squad have a spirit of coming from the brink to survive. Clubs like Leicester, Wolves and West Ham only seem to have negative momentum.

We have scored 3 goals in 4 games.
We have lost a lot of goals in Richarlison, and will lose some goals in Gordon. We should get some goals from Dominic Calvert-Lewin to help bridge it, and hopefully from whoever we bring in. We also look a lot better defensively, and in midfield than last season.
A lot depends on who we can get in, but in most scenario's I see us struggling, though we are long way from certainties for the drop.
I wish I could share your optimism,but the players those teams have you would think will come good even if they change managers, I see a poor side from last term only getting worse with bad recruitment. Coady & Tarkowski only seem to work with a counter attack formation and we have no pace to implement that, big few days coming up, I do hope you’re right. Calvert-Lewin is a big risk to pinning hopes on atm. Let’s hope we finish the recruitment and put some decent pace and goals up front, the names being touted are a tad underwhelming though, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back