Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked Bissouma out a few weeks ago. He was the best player on the park against us. It's sort of what Liverpool did for a time, paid a premium sure but bought players of a great age, who had good experience and were better than what they had.

There would be a premium but I have no doubt he would be our best midfielder. He's the closest thing I've seen to Gana, but he's 24 and might even have a bit more to his game.
He might be slightly better at running with the ball but he's not in the same realm defensively.

I don't know with Bissouma. He's pretty good but I have a feeling that the price is going to be more than what you want to pay for pretty good. I'd like it more if I knew exactly what the plan to use him would be.

The fact that these players have ended up at Brighton, WBA and Fulham suggests it's a punt not a lot of other clubs would've taken. Anguissa also cost £22m, which is a hell of a lot for a gamble.

On the the other side you could name Godfrey, Digne, Richarlison, Holgate, DCL as players we've signed and there value has increased massively. Doesn't make up for the load of plop we've also signed over the past few years but we can't be expecting the club to sign every young player who eventually turns decent.
DCL and Holgate have increased a great deal but that'll happen when you sign 18 year Olds who establish themselves as PL players. Not sure the rest have increased massively though.

Buying players from middle men PL Clubs haven't done the top 6 any harm in recent seasons.

Ultimately if our recruitment policy isnt great (which it isn't) I would rather spend £35 million on Bissouma than spend £15 million on some bloke from the Albanian or Turkish league who could be the next Bissouma but also may be the next Andre Gomes - its ultimately a gamble clubs like Brighton can afford to make whereas can we?

Brands has shown he doesnt have an eye for a bargain based on the last 3 years so im all for him spending money on proven quality in this league particularly if FFP becomes less of a worry once USM sponsers the new ground / FFP rules themselves potentially changing.
The RS have done decent with it but that's about it Is it not? I mean Chelsea have Kante, United don't really have anyone of note, Leicester don't either unless you count Maddison but he hadn't played a PL game when signed, Spurs don't, City have Walker and Stones who aren't key players at all.

I'm not sure I see this as a necessary strategy.

DCL and Holgate have increased a great deal but that'll happen when you sign 18 year Olds who establish themselves as PL players. Not sure the rest have increased massively though.

Godfrey to buy this summer would be probably close to double what we paid.
Digne at least double than the £18m we paid.
Richarlison it would take probably £60m+ to persuade us to sell.

My point is mate, as much as I like Bissouma, he's not worth the £40/45m Brighton would want from us.

He's a £20-25m player. So go out to another league and get a midfielder for that price who is just as good, if not better.

Zakaria probably would be around that £30m mark, for example, with Gladback not getting Europe, or Boubakary Soumare from Lille.

It's hard though isn't it, because to me Bissouma is better than any of our midfielders and younger than most of them.

I'm not saing Zakaria may not have similar ability, and be a (fair bit) cheaper, but there is a bigger risk buying from abroad. You are paying for less risk re Bissoumma. There's obviously a point where that becomes untenable, so it's about trying to ascertain where that is.

It really does seem like Everton are massively reactive rather than proactive in the transfer market

Some of the names i've seen bandied about recently include Lamptey, Anguissa, Pereira and Bissouma. All players that have moved in the past couple of years to clubs and all have seen their value increase.

I think most of us would agree that the level of pressure on players at Everton isn't particularly huge - We aren't typically competing for honours or being hounded by demonstrative fans or owners , we just go about our business.

Surely we could have taken a punt on a couple of these players (or others with similar attributes) when they last moved, rather than waiting for their transfer values to be doubled - or are we just so useless at scouting that we wait for them to do well on MOTD and they decide to throw a bid in?

We have wasted millions and millions on 'proven' talent in the past few years (Walcott, Iwobi, Tosun, Delph, Sigurdsson, Bolasie, Williams etc) when surely we could have filled those positions with cheaper, equally as effective talents perhaps from the foreign market.

Do we seriously not bother scouting anymore? Or is it becoming a forgotten art?
It's not a scouting problem it is a long term vision problem.

Godfrey to buy this summer would be probably close to double what we paid.
Digne at least double than the £18m we paid.
Richarlison it would take probably £60m+ to persuade us to sell.
No.
Digne is getting to the age where value drops.
That's fine but no one is paying it.

He might be slightly better at running with the ball but he's not in the same realm defensively.

I don't know with Bissouma. He's pretty good but I have a feeling that the price is going to be more than what you want to pay for pretty good. I'd like it more if I knew exactly what the plan to use him would be.

Surely the plan would be to play him in midfield?

I'd also say, he's better to me that pretty good. I've seen him a few times, and he's not looked out of place in many games, even against the very best teams. I cant think of too many midfielders I'd have as better than him in the PL.

Surely the plan would be to play him in midfield?

I'd also say, he's better to me that pretty good. I've seen him a few times, and he's not looked out of place in many games, even against the very best teams. I cant think of too many midfielders I'd have as better than him in the PL.
That's not enough. We've got to start thinking more specifically with our signings. He's probably versatile enough for it to not matter but we should know exactly what we want him to do and then decide if he's right for it.

No.
Digne is getting to the age where value drops.
That's fine but no one is paying it.
iirc Digne is 27, same age Walker was when city paid £47m for him.
Might be a different market post covid but still think he’s worth more than the £18m we paid.
rather keep him anyway tbh, another year or two Niels should be ready (or Small) and I think we’d still get out money back on Digne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back