Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galloway loan held up because, the Kone deal has stalled, it's still the Everton way IMO Galloway could do a job for us if we are keeping Jags, why do we need another defender? Midfield is where we need players and a striker, and a keeper possibly?

A keeper in midfield, could work... :)

Moyes is a magician when it comes to competing with a small budget mate. He'll do very well for you I'm sure.

Would you be happy if the Jagielka rumours are true?
I hope so mate. Tbh not really wanting us to sign Jagielka we've already got JOS as a old experienced head then Pap, Kaboul, Kone (at the min) and McNair so we're pretty stocked up at CB. If Moyes was looking to sign a player from you's as part of a Kone deal I'd want him to go for Lennon

I hope so mate. Tbh not really wanting us to sign Jagielka we've already got JOS as a old experienced head then Pap, Kaboul, Kone (at the min) and McNair so we're pretty stocked up at CB. If Moyes was looking to sign a player from you's as part of a Kone deal I'd want him to go for Lennon
Take McCarthy, we'll even throw in cleverly for free

Galloway loan held up because, the Kone deal has stalled, it's still the Everton way IMO Galloway could do a job for us if we are keeping Jags, why do we need another defender? Midfield is where we need players and a striker, and a keeper possibly?

We need someone dominant in the air - that is one of Williams' few weak points, which was addressed at Swansea in whatever pairing they had at the back. Galloway doesn't have this at the moment.

...it would be good if clubs let the fans sort out their transfer business. Kone for Lennon is fine with me, let's get it done.

I think Witsel and others have conveniently exploited our interest in them for their benefit, and in that sense, the "project" sold to them hasn't had any effect at all.

With hindsight, I think expectations were built up this summer beyond a level at which they could be sustained as regards attracting our main targets, and on the eve of kick-off, to be honest I feel we don't have the momentum and feelgood factor from new signings that I was hoping for.

Still, I think some factors are over-stated with regard to attracting players, Champions League qualification being the main one. Look at the influx of players to China, for example. We all know why they go.

At this premature stage, this is what I'm thinking;

1) We needed to have made astronomical wage offers to players to overcome the deficiencies in our offering, and, thus far, decided not to, by choice, or limitation. I have felt as the weeks have progressed that this would be the only way to get a "marquee" name through the door. It's getting the first one in that seems to be the biggest issue, and as they say, with one in, others follow.

2) The "project" (I dislike using that term but still) just isn't as immediately ambitious as we are led to believe? Have some players thought it's going to take 3,4,5 years for Everton to compete on a level-playing field and decided they just can't be bothered to hang around that long, the length of a standard contract, to see it happen?

3) It will indeed take sustained investment in new signings year-on-year, sustained improved league placings, a new stadium, increased commercial revenue, and general positivity and reputational dividends surrounding Everton before we can offer a "package" sufficient to entice players of a certain level. Therein lies the central challenge for Moshiri.

4) Steve Walsh's role is critical. Perhaps the focus on getting Monchi lost us several weeks where we could have had Walsh in place earlier? As he wanted to move closer to home, he would almost certainly have agreed to join us soon after Leicester won the league? If we have the cash, but not immediately the allure to attract top players, then the next best thing we can do is play the global market to the hilt and uncover these hidden gems wherever they may be, rather than overpaying for modest domestic talent. This is what concerns me with the Bolasie signing. It will probably be only into next summer before we see the true benefits of the DoF role, targets should be identified much earlier, and Walsh has the whole season ahead to assess all of our footballing operations, and make changes when needed.

So, this is step-by-step rather than a great leap forward. We all want success sooner, but perhaps this is just how it is. As the instigator and the driver of change, I just hope that Moshiri is as ultimately ambitious for us as we are led to believe. If he is, I'm fine with getting there incrementally rather than not at all, or worse, yet more false hope for Evertonians. There is not a shadow of doubt that we are already in a much better place not yet 6 months into this new chapter than in comparison to what went before.

It's not just that the last two seasons have been poor, we really are not on the radar for top players, and it seems that is not something that can be changed overnight. A huge makeover job is required for the club, and it is only beginning.
Great post mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back