Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know a mistake Moshiri made.

Hiring Walsh. Not because he didn't unearth any gems etc. That would be a harsh judgement.

But because he was the head scout/DOF of Leicester/Hull/Newcastle.

In other words he was used to dealing with agents of players that would normally go to bottom half clubs. Business is all about relationships and knowing the right people. He isn't used to playing with the top clubs in Europe. He's not a name that anyone respects. He's rather a guy that got lucky. How was he the right person to convince top agents their players were making the right choice coming to us?

However if he was bought to unearth gems because Everton are sell to buy then he was perfect.

Does that help you decide whether we are sell to buy?

Absolutely agree with that. Walsh has to be in some way accountable for our inability to conclude transfers

Walsh wasn't the person who did the negotiating Marty...

He and Koeman identified the targets and Walsh more than likely did the opening discussions - which seemingly, were very positive for most players...

When it came to the time to get things done, we couldn't get them over the line. And that is on people who are above Walsh in the pecking order.
You know my view. I highly doubt the money really was there. Certainly not the kind of figures originally spoke about.

However if it really was then Kenwright needs to go and he needs to go quickly so people know Moshiri isn't happy with the window and is ruthless enough to make the change.

MGngRNnbuHoiqTJH4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

The first 11 is much stronger Ash.

Last year's - Howard/Joel; Coleman, Stones, Jags, Baines; McCarthy, Barry; Lennon, Barkley, Cleverley, Lukaku.

This year's - Stekelenburg; Coleman, Williams, Jags, Baines; Gueye, Barry, Barkley; Bolasie, Lukaku, Mirallas.

I dispute your team for last year. I swap your prior team Lennon for Deulofeu and Mirallas for Cleverley. so we sold a defender worth 47m for one worth 10m and got in Gueye (who is clearly better than McCarthy but I believe Besic is clearly better than McCarthy).

the key difference is Martinez out. the playing squad is marginally better.. marginally.

Genuinely Marty, I'm disappointed and frustrated with how it ended. It's put a dampener on what was a good window up until that point.

The one positive from yesterday is that we've at least got a forward in who provides better back-up / competition than we had before. He's not first choice, and not as good as we might have expected.

A big reality check was needed and maybe that'll teach us all not to get ahead of ourselves.
I actually don't think we have but I might also be the only one who doesn't think Kone is that bad. Valencia was a good player before his injuries but now I think he's finished. Oh well it's only a loan

When I say I don't think Kone is that bad. What I mean is that he's not good enough even to be backup but he's not a joke of a footballer either like some make him out to be.

You know my view. I highly doubt the money really was there. Certainly not the kind of figures originally spoke about.

However if it really was then Kenwright needs to go and he needs to go quickly so people know Moshiri isn't happy with the window and is ruthless enough to make the change.
The money was there. If you bid for someone the funds have to be established in terms of a legality stance. There is no way we would have been able to get to contract negotiations with anyone if there was no funds.

The money was there. If you bid for someone the funds have to be established in terms of a legality stance. There is no way we would have been able to get to contract negotiations with anyone if there was no funds.
No they don't. We could pull out at any time and no one would know. Which is what I think happened with Carvalho.

Besides when I say the funds were not there. I don't mean we didn't have the funds for one player but rather we didn't have the funds for all of Koulibaly, Mata, Witsel, Carvalho etc

That's close to 150m in players. We may have been able to get one of them but I think we always knew we wouldn't. The one I think we probably thought we had a chance and could afford was Witsel and that was because he only had a year left.

@BlueToff

Last year's - Howard/Joel; Coleman, Stones, Jags, Baines; McCarthy, Barry; Lennon, Barkley, Cleverley, Lukaku.

This year's - Stekelenburg; Coleman, Williams, Jags, Baines; Gueye, Barry, Barkley; Bolasie, Lukaku, Mirallas.

More like last year:

Howard, Coleman, Jags, Stones, Baines, McCarthy, Barry, Barkley, Deulofeu, Lukaku, Mirallas.

Stek for Howard
Williams for Stones
Gueye for McCarthy
Bolasie for Deulofeu

Note that bolassie cost £28mil and Stek was originally signed as a 2nd choice.

Sissoko was £6mil a year for 5 years...

So we had £6mil.

Firstly, it wasn't negative. Ignoring the TV money as that hasn't been factored in to that table that showed a negative spend, counting Stones' sell-on fee we're just about spending £5mil NET. Not good enough (even though it still doesn't mean we haven't spent money - we have) if indeed extra funds were pledged.

The first 11 is much stronger Ash.

That cannot be disputed mate. The signings we have brought in have replaced players (bar STONES) who were merely draining a wage and not having any impact on the club.

I'm not spinning it positively, but you're spinning it very negatively. You say you've slept on it yet clearly you haven't let anything settle. The squad as it stands is better than it was and we've got a manager who knows what he's doing and won't stick rigidly to a plan or system that is failing.

This does at the moment feel like a missed opportunity to really get some quality in and make sure we can compete all season. That is on the club - namely the people at the top - and something has to be done. Perhaps an open letter to the club to be published in the Echo, whatever, to get out there that the FANS still aren't happy that there are quite clearly certain people involved who simply-put should have been got shut of a long time ago.

And no Ash, 11th is not WHERE WE BELONG. IF that was the case, Bobby Martinez would still be here.

This squad last season was better than finishing 11th, and would have done had we had a manager who could defend properly. You don't have a striker who bags 18 goals in a league season playing for many sides that finish mid-table...

Where was this net? say 1 millin for stek (at a push), 22 for bolasie, 7.2 for gueye, 1.5 loan for enner and 9 million for williams. I'm sure i am forgetting someone, but that is how much we spent, even if you top end those deals you are still only hitting the stones money mark. In fact we literally were only active during the window when we sold stones. For all the 'trying to sign players', the only time we actually did get anywhere on that front was when we sold him, and then it stopped again straight after the last money was spent. As i said that is literally what happened, you can spin it all you want but we only looked active when we made money. You can only go on what has actually happened, and it seems Moshiri in charge is no different to Kenwright, same results, same lack of money spent and same false dawn.

You say the first 11 has improved right? How? Because we have a commanding centre half? I would call that a bloody necessity to have in a team, any succesful team has one, and unsuccesful everton have decided not to sign one until now. Funny that eh? We also have a mobile midfielder, great considering the rest of them can't play that role in the team. Bolasie is no better than what we had, different yes, but not better. Stek is not a better keeper in all honesty, and finally saying Valencia is better than kone and niasse is just pretty much depressing trying to justify it. I would argue that we are not better, we just have signed a few players we have lacked for years now to even make us a competent outfit.

Thing is, West ham were mid table, then they signed Payet, and all of a sudden got better. Liverpool have spots of talent which should really take them out of midtable with a bit of consistency and a better defence, spurs signed better and suddenly got better, see the pattern? Whop have we signed to take us from midtable? relegation battle players at best. Again this is not a knee jerk reaction, this is exactly what we have done! You say we don't belong in midtable but where does a club who sells to buy every year, sign all their players from worse teams, fail to back the manager every year deserve to be? We may have players like lukaku but genuinely question here, if there was any slight chance of him staying after next season, you think we will want to now after who we have brought in? More so does that show ambition? We have no ambition other than to make money off the back of the team.

But you say about raising the issue about it? Why? Nothing has changed. We still haven't got any money, we still haven't got any ambition, we are still no better than what we were before. We have threw away a 40 odd million profit for the wages thing, we have threw away any chance of showing ambition to players, we have tied Koemans hands behind his back and frankly, lied the him promising him money to spend and then giving him nothing.

Oh and we could have been higher last year, but it is exactly that, last year. We could have got CL the year before we finished with 72 points, been in a title bid if it was last year, could have got relegated on 38 points a different year etc Makes no odds what coulda shoulda etc The fact is we swapped a manager who would have relegated us for one who we have failed to back.

the board haven't failed, there is no evidence otherwise that this was the plan all along. For all these deals meant to be in for, high risk ones? Ever consider there was a chance that they were for show? We spend the whole summer chasing players who turn us down? Funny that, especially as we then get none of them and therefore no money spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back