Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite simple.

This year (2016/17), in order to increase wages from last year (2015/16) by more than £7m we had to do one of two things. We could increase non-broadcasting revenues, i.e. commercial, sponsorship or matchday income or we would have to rely upon player trading profits. Given the potential to increase non-broadcasting revenues is minimal this year, the only viable option was to generate player trading profits. John Stones was used as the example in my original article as (i) he was likely to be sold anyway and (ii) he represented the greatest player trading profit opportunity.

The wages of anyone bought in the winter window will be included in the 2016/17 calculation.

In 2017/18 we can spend £14 million more on wages than we did in 2015/16 before we need look at increasing non-broadcasting revenues or generating player trading profits. One difference next season is that we have the potential to significantly increase our sponsorship revenues as the Chang deal concludes in May 2017. So for example a £5 million increase in those revenues would be added to the permitted upper wage limit. If our wage bill increased beyond that level, and we had no additional increases in non-broadcasting revenues then we would again have to fund the difference with player trading profits.

Finally you assertion that you have "already caught me" in a "lie" is a rather strange and misleading claim which I expect you to withdraw.
I have read the rules and we can only increase 7m per year. We can't increase the wage bill by 14m next year unless we sell someone or as you say bring in commercial revenue. For arguments sake let's say that's a no-goer because if it was we had plenty of time to bring those deals in for this year.

Everything else you have said just confirms what I said except in more verbose language.

Maybe it's not a lie and just a mistake but the mistake is that we can spend in the January window and still take advantage of the Stones money.

Anyone we buy in January will only increase our wages for them for 6 months however next season we have to pay for 12 months. Therefore if we don't sell anyone that 6 month increase will come out of the STCC extra allocation budget for next year. Given that a top player earns between 5m-8m a year that's a big problem.

Happy @chicoazul ?

could we? how do you know bony didnt want guaranteed 1st team football, that we couldnt offer?

getting a back up striker was always gonna be a big problem joining a team that finished 11th with no european football to be a back-up, difficult one to sell

Agreed that's the likely reason, but we could offer him more football than he got at city. With the point about second striker, I hoped we would have aimed higher than that and give Lukaku the completion he needs and also given us an option to play two up front.

Stronger squad than we had at the start of pre-season. Yes we're all disappointed with the lack of additions yesterday which could have pushed us on, but they didn't happen. Forget about that now, lets focus on the football. Ron's had a great start, and the squad has quality running through it. This is a group of players that massively underachieved last year, and now has some quality additions to it.

Even with Gueye and Bolasie going the African cup of nations in January, we've got McCarthy an Geri/Lennon to replace them.

I'm actually thinking, if we'd missed out on Niaase in the last window, everyone would of fumed, like what I've read over the last few hours.

We shouldn't fume at Everton about missing out on Sissoko. We offered,the amount of money both he and Newcastle wanted. We were used by his agent and the low class person his the player is. He would of been a poison behind the scenes, with a massive contract we couldn't get rid of. I was actually very worried we were going to get him last night. Thinking we'd get the player from Newcastle over last two years not the one from the Euro's.

Yes we couldn't get our other targets. But for once we missed most of them because we're based in the North West and can't offer Champions League football. Clubs know we have got money. We have to pay over the odds. To get players to convince them to come here.

The window is over, we already look a lot stronger, than we were last year. Players from last season look fitter and heads our raised. The new signings seem to have slotted in well. Apart from Stones no one left I didn't want them to. But in the short term we've managed to replace him.

The one signing most people aren't happy about is a loan. So if he is rubbish we send him back. If not we buy him. Not sure if my memory is right about him, but didn't he do well under Big Sam, before they changed manager?

We have to be positive, get behind the players we have. Maybe in January we'll look like a more attractive place to play?

No, the profit from selling Stones (for sake of argument £40 million) only applies in this current year 2016/17. It has no effect on what we can spend on wages in 2017/18.

When I have time I'll calculate this years wages and show a more detailed picture.
Cheers. So, we can still use the Stones profit in January on top of our 2015/2016 wage bill + 7m?

By January, I'm sure Mata will realise he's not part of Jose's plan, Witsel will have gone cold on Witsel, and Napoli will need to sell all their players due to some money laundering scandal. ;)

I'm getting excited!!! lol

Disappointing Deadline day, but overall not the worst window, still places to improve but only four months until January.

Williams IMO is better than stones, forgetting about potential, so even if we only signed him it would be an improvement.

Just hope the false promises that were rumored, wont demoralize the so far good form the team is in.

I am of an age were I have had a long history of Everton disappointing. Today feels like one of the worst, I know no one from the club came out and said we had £100 million to spend in this window, I know figures weren't mentioned. However bringing in Koeman suggested we may deal in the window, selling Stones to the probable Champions for £47.5 million freed up our ability to raise the wage bill and also provided extra revenue and the calibre of player we started chasing appeared to indicate an ambition for improvement.
Can anyone seriously say that having chased Witsel etc they are now happy we brought in Vallencia. Indeed can anyone make a serious argument for Lukaku to stay at Everton, obviously Koeman was able to convince him to stay, I doubt Lukaku was busting to partner a West Ham reject for the coming season.
The transfer window should be used to fill in the gaps in your squad, we were short a keeper, a centre half, cover for Barry, a play maker and a centre forward. The emergence of Holgate provides cover at RB. What did we do in the window to cover these gaps, spent £30 million on a winger.
The positive is that we brought in Gana, him plus Koeman's tactical knowledge and the short term gain we get from Williams may be enough to lift us out of the bottom half, I hope it is but I really can't see us doing much better than that.
The optimism I gained from the start we have had has all been washed away, I was putting us on a level with Spurs, look at their dealings against ours. We may be in the same league but we have very different priorities.
So we go again into a season were I hope we do better than last year, I hope we increase the number of games we win, I hope we can end our trophy drought, doesn't really matter which trophy, but that is pure hope based on nothing at all.
Sometimes at Everton we out do ourselves at underachieving.

I have read the rules and we can only increase 7m per year. We can't increase the wage bill by 14m next year unless we sell someone or as you say bring in commercial revenue. For arguments sake let's say that's a no-goer because if it was we had plenty of time to bring those deals in for this year.

Everything else you have said just confirms what I said except in more verbose language.

Maybe it's not a lie and just a mistake but the mistake is that we can spend in the January window and still take advantage of the Stones money.

Anyone we buy in January will only increase our wages for them for 6 months however next season we have to pay for 12 months. Therefore if we don't sell anyone that 6 month increase will come out of the STCC extra allocation budget for next year. Given that a top player earns between 5m-8m a year that's a big problem.

Happy @chicoazul ?

FFP....keeping the status quo under the guise of "fair competition". Just our luck we've ended up with money at this time

Funny old window this one, huge disappointment yesterday that no big name signing was made, however, Williams, Bolasie, Stekelenberg, Guaye and Valencia in as first teamers or first team back up. Surely they have to be an improvement on last season's version of Hibbert, Osman, Pienaar, Stones and Howard.

Also another positive from this window is that it appears that our current regime have no difficulty in telling the players that are not good enough they should be thinking of moving on. Delighted to see that fat waster McGeady on his bike, even if we are having to pay part of his wages, I am also still hopeful of Niasse going back to Russia on loan, I believe that their deadline is not for another week or so.

I hope we as a club have learned a lesson in transfer deals during this window, if a player is not prepared to commit to us when approached, then we should drop our interest and move on to the next target instead of wasting lots of time and effort trying to convince them to sign, a la Witzel.

I also hope that we as fans have learned a lesson not to treat the gossip on Twitter, in the media or from ITK's as anything other than gossip and not to expect us to have actually been in for all the exotic names we are linked with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back