Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like hes in the advanced stages of negotiating a year long loan deal with Blackpool, a shop window move, by the look of it to me, hes deal runs out in 2022.

Augers well for having another central midfield deal in the pipeline, but i'm speculating there.
I don't see he is ever going to get a proper chance here tbh so it's a good thing although i find it hard to believe he is any worse than Davies.

Yeah of course it can work, it's a risk though and if they don't gel you are left with a bloated squad. I think we need players with better mental strength, it's not all about ability, a club like us needs players to believe and work hard for the shirt.
It’s just about buying good players really. Our problem hasn’t been buying too many players, it’s been buying players who aren’t very good. We should buy as many good players as we can afford, because the quality of this squad is really poor. I know what you mean about mentality and there are definitely issues with that, but by far the biggest issue is that we’re just massively lacking in ability. There were plenty of games last year where I couldn’t really fault them for effort, but they just can’t play football.

if we're targeting players who are also attracting interest from top 6 clubs in the major leagues, we can't afford to haggle. i'm not saying overpay, just at least offer the going rate.
To be fair we don’t know what we have offered, we may well have offered the going rate, but players and their agents have choices to make as well.

I think Pickford can come good again. But I think we could do some great business, selling him. He's still England Number 1 which always adds value. Could sell him and get a very good international level keeper in his early 30's ( at a keepers peak) and have money left towards strengthening in other areas.
Come good again? Has he ever been good. Overrated from his Sunderland days. Had a few good games for England which heightened his profile. But deery me he's poor.

Its obvious we need 5 players,

CB
RB
CM
CM
RW

But if we sign 3 this year, 3 next year and 3 in 2022 then we'll have 18 players contracts up by then and a very good team. We wont be amazing overnight until we clear the wages.

The problem is you do 3 a season and by the time 2022 turns up you've likely lost Richarlison, Digne and Holgate.

Football doesn't wait around like you're playing FIFA Manager Mode Zat.

Deals can be done if the DOF has the nouse to get business done.

If we haven't the funds improvise:

Ryan Fraser - Free Deal on 80k a week

Bernard out for £7-10 million on 120k+ a week

£7-10 million in the kitty and 40k a week saved to go towards another position in the team with the LW position not weakened.

Thats the sort of business we should be doing.

It’s just about buying good players really. Our problem hasn’t been buying too many players, it’s been buying players who aren’t very good. We should buy as many good players as we can afford, because the quality of this squad is really poor. I know what you mean about mentality and there are definitely issues with that, but by far the biggest issue is that we’re just massively lacking in ability. There were plenty of games last year where I couldn’t really fault them for effort, but they just can’t play football.
Our problem is that we have too many players bought to perform different tasks under different managers. Great teams are a blend of quality and hard working players.
Our players are nowhere near as bad as the over top vitriol currently being directed at them would suggest.
As a result of constant upheaval in managers , recruitment and tactics we have a collection of players who have failed to blend and do not complement each other.
It is hoped with two or three judicious signings that Ancelotti can begin to improve the performances of those players we already have and improve the team as a whole.
It will not be an overnight process and patience and forbearance will be required from us and Mr. Moshiri.

The problem is you do 3 a season and by the time 2022 turns up you've likely lost Richarlison, Digne and Holgate.

£7-10 million in the kitty and 40k a week saved to go towards another position in the team with the LW position not weakened.

Sorry but if Ryan Fraser is the answer then the question must be, ‘How do we maintain our lower mid table existence?’

Excellent post which neatly summarises how we arrived at our current situation and accurately plots the only way we can get out of it, a period stability .
I would hope that the majority of our support and our owner can at least control their understandable impatience and allow the manager to build his team without reacting to every downturn with demands for more upheaval .
Transforming a mid table club into one capable of competing at the top was always going to take 2 or 3 seasons minimum after we had sufficient financial backing.
Sadly because of the missteps since the arrival of Moshiri we are still at the start of that 2or 3 seasons.
It is important we understand this and temper our expectations accordingly.

I tend to agree mate. Carlo has something that not any manager has had with us in a long time and that is collateral and patience from the fan base. To give an example, if you compare Carlo and Allardyce, both arrived at the club in a similar context, managed us through stormy waters pragmatically, one got 8th and hounded out the door the other 12th and all the patience in the world. It gives us a sense or our fan bases mentality and profile it wants, there is a vanity element to all of this. Not that im saying one is better then the other, but its an interesting comparison looking at the reaction of the fan base to those similar circumstances. Perhaps a red flag was the Mosh also responded to the will of the fans, that again may all feed into my point about an unstable environment, certainly no way to run a football club based on the popular opinion of the fan base, but i digress. Certainly if we as a fan base are ever going to be patient over a period of 3-4 years its with Carlo in charge.

When i think of our squad now, i think of players who play for Everton rather then Everton players. Fans will give anyone a break, even cult status if they give desire, commitment and attitude on the pitch. The environment, lack of stability, continuity and consistency has impacted the mentality of our players/squad and undermined that. Players are playing within themselves and haven't been given the foundation to get the most out of their talent. Subsequently fans cant identify with many in this team and a disconnect happens and the tension we see every day on here is created. I honestly haven't waved the white flag at the majority of players, there is more quality there then we have gotten out of them at this point for the reasons i mention. What is pleasing is that Carlo has acknowledged the need to change attitude and commitment early. The players have a responsibility but the club does to, to provide a consistency, continuity and stability. It cant be undervalued, but unfortunately has been.

Im actually pleased with the summer so far, i think there is a tacit acknowledgement of all the points i make by the manager, DOF and thus the club. I dont think its all doom and gloom either, we have a manager we will have patience with, that bodes well for stability and getting the most out of players and developing them, giving them the platform to perform. Brands in many ways regardless of your opinion on individual players has chipped away at the age profile of the squad, that leaves us with some excellent assets if we can get the best out of them. The youngsters have given me a massive lift and hope if im honest, Branthwaite, Holgate, Davies, Gordon, DCL, Kean its lovely watching them develop and they give me hope, in the way that no matter who came in at Chelsea over there mad years, there was always a core of Chelsea in Lampard and Terry and one or two others.

We are eeking toward the end of the antivirus at the club, with outs and hopefully tha will provide stability in the squad and a empowering rather then cynical mentality that transient, unhappy or cynical players in a blaoted squad can bring. Sandro, Bolaise and Besic are key squad places that if could be rebuilt would improve us greatly, but like you we are another two - three years off. Its rung, by rung of a greasy pole incrementally to get there. But firstly we need to look to home and improve things in the culture and environment at the club.

All in all, away from transfers there is much we can do, on and off the field to progress from last season. In many ways the worst thing we can do now is add another 8 players to the mix, however seductive buying and selling players can be in a window. A targeted two or three makes in the right area, i think would make a huge difference to us if they are purposeful in balancing the squad and of the right quality, character and experience.

Last edited:

I dont play computer games myself but 3 players in seems more realistic than 5 at the moment.

If ryan fraser signs then what would have been the point of all your posts when we sign immediate deadwood? £80k is huge money for a donkey.

If he doesnt get Gabriel now then i will start to worry but lets see what happens over the window.

14 odd players to move on

The flaw in your proposal is getting anyone to take Bernard for a fee

I think Pickford can come good again. But I think we could do some great business, selling him. He's still England Number 1 which always adds value. Could sell him and get a very good international level keeper in his early 30's ( at a keepers peak) and have money left towards strengthening in other areas.

I’m sure if anyone bids at least what we paid for him this will be done, the problem being who will want him and pay that for him.

The flaw in your proposal is getting anyone to take Bernard for a fee

Bernard is a decent player - he just isnt cut out for the 442 or physicality of the Premier League.

He aint no donkey like Iwobi or Niasse who doesn't know how to control a ball - put him in a slower league like Italy or France or a physically less demanding league that is more suited to skill on the ball like Spain and he would be a decent player.

The irony that you can’t see

amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back