Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were close to winning things or the CL then whatever. Anyone going to argue we are close? If not this is a silly allocation of money.

I think we are close.

Leicester nearly did it last season and despite what people will say, they don't have 11 quality players.

We have the right manager and we have a match-winner in Rico, why not?

Clearly we need to get the recruitment right this summer, but I always believe we can do something every season, otherwise whats the point?

Nope

Just doubting the sustainability of paying over 30m for 29 year olds. Its far too much money for an out of favour player of that age.
PSG wanted him for double that not 12 months ago.

He might see his days out here , if thats part of a team pushing for honours I dont see a problem with that.

Age is irrelevant nowadays , its really is the quality that counts. Same price as Iwobi , how much would we get for him if we sold him tomorrow ?
Not every player has got to be buy for a re'sale return but bought for a specific job within the team .
Something we badly lack on all counts.

I back the manger hands down with this.

I think we are close.

Leicester nearly did it last season and despite what people will say, they don't have 11 quality players.

We have the right manager and we have a match-winner in Rico, why not?

Clearly we need to get the recruitment right this summer, but I always believe we can do something every season, otherwise whats the point?
I think Leicester is a better example of taking the long term approach. They sold Kante and signed someone to replace him for 8 years not 3. They sold Mahrez and did the same. I don't think it happened overnight for them.

I think Leicester is a better example of taking the long term approach. They sold Kante and signed someone to replace him for 8 years not 3. They sold Mahrez and did the same. I don't think it happened overnight for them.

The team they won the title with had 3 good players.

Carlo ain't here to build a team, he's here to compete, give him the tools he requires.

We just need a lot of good players, better players. The difficulty is balancing quality with quantity of incomings in a given window.

We all know we have neither the finances nor the appeal to shop for the top players. So that's an automatic constraint.

If we accept we need wholesale change in the squad, and start with a budget of X million, plus sales and saved wages, we can only plug certain holes in the squad in any single window.

I think transfers are a lot more nuanced than people think. But I would much prefer if we spent an extra couple of million on one good player, than spread that over two players that are not going to make the same impact.

Delph was an example last year. People say it was only 8m but it's that plus wages and it would have been better spent elsewhere when we knew he was injury prone and taking a step down, with the potential associated attitude problems that brings.

I'm not saying we can't make shrewd signings. In fact we have to focus on bringing cheaper but younger players here who have the potential to be great. But we have to get the balance right.

Fixing one position this summer for the next five years is infinitely better than appeasing people by signing two players that we had to settle on. That's what happens on deadline day. People are human, and they bow to internal and external pressure to fix things. If that's the situation we are in, then that's what loans are for.

I think were aiming for the spine of the team. With Gabriel and Holgate that would be 2 positions filled to add to DCL/Richarlison. Then of course add in Allan and we would only need one more centre midfielder (Gbamin?) to complete the starting spine of the team.

If we could bring in those 2 players i think it makes a big difference and we then need RB + RW long term positions solved.

Too many signings is as bad as no signings. We saw that with Koeman.
Three quality signings added to Digne,Holgate,Gomes,DCL,Richarlison is a great start.

There then is a challenge for Pickford to regain form,Kean to establish himself , Gbamin hopefully to get fit .

There are players at the club who should be doing better than they are at present and new additions together with CA can change things around quickly.

Exactly, Gabriel + Allan + Sarr for example we would look a different beast.

3 more next summer and 3 more the summer after and with youth coming up from u23s we would have a very different squad.

You really dont like Allan do you ?
But yet you think buying a good young un like Iwobi lol is good business.
Cos he will push us on like :(

Madness.

Nar I get where he's coming from with Allan, its quite short sighted, but as I say, Carlo ain't here for the long game, neither is Moshiri and neither for that matter is the fanbase. We all want it here and we want it now.

Long term ?
With spring chickens like Huth & Wes Morgan , great talents like Drinkwater & Albrighton .
No mate they were on a cliff edge staring into the abyss.
Its was survival at all costs first.

You really dont like Allan do you ?
But yet you think buying a good young un like Iwobi lol is good business.
Cos he will push us on like :(

Madness.
It isn't personal. The names of players who are that age or older who I would pay 30m+ for are Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Lewandowski and others of that ilk. Borderline top class isn't it.

Long term ?
With spring chickens like Huth & Wes Morgan , great talents like Drinkwater & Albrighton .
No mate they were on a cliff edge staring into the abyss.
Its was survival at all costs first.
I'm not talking about the title team.

Using Leicesters 10000-1 title team as a template to build off of is a dumb thing because it was 10000-1. Surely you guys see the issue there?

You need a mixture of youth and experience in a squad maybe we have gone too far down the development route the last few years when key positions are missing or not delivering, the PL experienced players we have bought or got in recent years have failed us Gylfi, Delph, Iwobi, Davies(well he has paid over 100 games now)Pickford to an extent. Our midfield is so bad we do need one virtually guaranteed starter in there ....Its a tricky one as I think we need an Allan type and another younger player but I doubt we have the funds for two.If we just got one midfield player this summer who is raw and took a season or two to settle there would be no patience for them either. Its tricky. Hopefully Gbamin comes good but it's a risk on a guy who has had two serious injuries and hasn't had a chance to settle in this league. Marcel looks at sell on and development but not every player can be a project in a squad especially when you are miss firing in 12th.

Last edited:
Personally, I think we have been trotting out this need for patience and talking about ‘long term’ plans for decades and it’s got us absolutely nowhere. So much changes over 2 or 3 years that I think it’s pointless trying to implement some kind of consistent plan over that period.

Richarlison, for example, is odds on to leave next summer. In fact, our whole obsession with resale value means that anyone that’s half decent should be sold within 3 or 4 years. Let me guess, we have to factor in constantly selling our best players into our never ending five year plans?

The big clubs treat each and every season as a season where winning is possible, they don’t do this mad thing where they wait five years for the stars to align in a perfect set of circumstances and then give it a go.

It’s the equivalent of waiting until you’re 35, working in senior management, and have finally bought a house until you ask a bird for a snog!

Honestly, you don’t wait until you are 35! You make do the with the Adidas popper pants that your mum has bought you and go for it anyway! And you actually get results, good results!

All this 5 year plan nonsense is essentially admitting defeat before you have even started. The RS never talk about five year plans. They’ve spent the last 30 years saying “This year is our year”, and although it has taken them 30 years and the onset of a worldwide pandemic to finally be correct, it’s such a better attitude than going into each season thinking that you are five years away from being able to compete as part of a never ending five year plan!

Add the fact that Ancellotti is only going to be here for a few years, and we really need to challenge now and stop waiting for the stars to align!
Comparing us to the RS is really counterproductive . In the years between their domestic titles they were Champions of Europe twice add on a UEFA cup , 3FAcups and something like 4league cups plus a few I can’t recall . They never finished lower than 8th( in fact they haven’t finished lower than 8th since they were last promoted )
Their ‘barren spell‘ has been considerably more fecund than ours.
They are amongst the worlds elite clubs which essentially means they can attract better quality players more readily than a club such as ourselves.
For us to attempt to buy enough quality players to immediately force our way into the top of the table would be prohibitively expensive and difficult to achieve given our comparatively low standing in the game.
Even if we could entice the players it is unlikely the manager could immediately blend them into a team.
I’m afraid the only way to get to where we want to be is to allow the manager and the DoF to improve the team year on year and hopefully arrive at our destination with a solid structure in place which should ensure our longevity when we finally get there.
Time perhaps to take it easy and ( attempt to ) enjoy the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back