Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 year path.

So signing a 29 year old shouldnt be part of that ?
Allan would be 32 .....not quite ready for the glue factory these days mate.
These lads are super fit nowadays and last well into mid 30's , how old is Fernandihno btw ?
Yeah mate Fernandinho, Milner, Moutinho and...? We can't even build a whole squad but sure let's get the 30 year olds for 30m.

Also none of those players were signed for massive fees at 29.

Last year we finished the season better than Leicester for a long period and IMO went in to the summer in a very similar position.

They had a decent window, we lost Gueye and Zouma and the difference between us was there for everyone to see.

2 or 3 really good signings this summer and we could be right back in the mix IMO. It turns that’s quickly. As we seen last year.

Agree with this. If both strikers keep scoring regulary, kean starts contributing. Holgate continue to develop. Hopefully CA keeps getting a tune out of keane and Mina was one of our better players at the start of the season. Add Digne who's always class. We got quite a good team of starters all we need is a midfield and a winger then it looks quite hopeful imo

That's an exaggeration obviously.

I think Carlo might have some degree of patience. I don't think his reputation among the top, top teams is what it was and he won't be coaching them again if he doesn't show something here. Leaving after 2 years of limited progress torpedoes what is left of his career.

And what does drifting around in 12th do to his career, you know while he waits for the 19 year olds we sign to mature?

Hes not here a long time, hes here for a good time.

Comparing us to the RS is really counterproductive . In the years between their domestic titles they were Champions of Europe twice add on a UEFA cup , 3FAcups and something like 4league cups plus a few I can’t recall . They never finished lower than 8th( in fact they haven’t finished lower than 8th since they were last promoted )
Their ‘barren spell‘ has been considerably more fecund than ours.
They are amongst the worlds elite clubs which essentially means they can attract better quality players more readily than a club such as ourselves.
For us to attempt to buy enough quality players to immediately force our way into the top of the table would be prohibitively expensive and difficult to achieve given our comparatively low standing in the game.
Even if we could entice the players it is unlikely the manager could immediately blend them into a team.
I’m afraid the only way to get to where we want to be is to allow the manager and the DoF to improve the team year on year and hopefully arrive at our destination with a solid structure in place which should ensure our longevity when we finally get there.
Time perhaps to take it easy and ( attempt to ) enjoy the journey.

I disagree mate. This linear type of ‘year on year’ progression doesn’t exist in football. It’s not like you have to finish 10th before you can finish 9th, in the same way that someone may have to become a team manager before they can become an area manager within a corporation.

The football landscape is constantly changing. Players get injured, players get sold, new clubs enter the equation. Wolves were in League One a few years ago, so were Sheffield United.

Slow moving long term plans don’t work in the hectic fast paced ever changing environment of the Premier League. They get you nowhere.

Our target should be to bring the 25 year long wait for a trophy to an end next season, we can’t be having a plan that involves hoping for the stars to align in five years time.

I think Ancelotti will rebuild the midfield. That may involve say Gordon / Onyango / Dobbin ( who @catcherintherye rates highly) getting games in the next couple of years. Also of course Brands 'type' signings of young players to fill the 8 midfielder positions in the squad.

We'll need to have a consistent performer in the middle who can deliver 7/10 performances each game. Their attitude and leadership needs to spread through the other midfielders and change the culture of waddling along pulling out of tackles.

If Allan comes in as a starter for 3 seasons that gives us time to totally change the midfield around him while having some semblance of consistency.

With young players coming into the side they will need some consistent performers around them. We have up front and in defence but no one in the midfield.
If young players are good they'll be good. They don't need someone to hold their hand. Fact is Allan will only serve to eat up the minutes those players could have if they actually are good enough. It isn't necessary to sign old players to develop young ones.

Nope.

You guys are underselling how hard this is. Leicester won the title. The last time a team not in the current "Big 6" finished top four before that? Us in 2005. This is a massive uphill battle. Maybe it could be done quickly but it is far more likely that a slow, gradual, year on year improvement is what will be necessary to make it up the slopes.

That's a bit disingenuous considering the "Big 6" wasn't a thing until Spurs and City started regularly finishing in CL spots.

I disagree mate. This linear type of ‘year on year’ progression doesn’t exist in football. It’s not like you have to finish 10th before you can finish 9th, in the same way that someone may have to become a team manager before they can become an area manager within a corporation.

The football landscape is constantly changing. Players get injured, players get sold, new clubs enter the equation. Wolves were in League One a few years ago, so were Sheffield United.

Slow moving long term plans don’t work in the hectic fast paced ever changing environment of the Premier League. They get you nowhere.

Our target should be to bring the 25 year long wait for a trophy to an end next season, we can’t be having a plan that involves hoping for the stars to align in five years time.

Theres no such thing as standing still in this league, you either improve or you become a Championship team.

There's a lad who wears red and has giant teeth who might have a word about the value of a longer term plan for building a team and what can be accomplished when you stick to it.

That's a bit disingenuous considering the "Big 6" wasn't a thing until Spurs and City started regularly finishing in CL spots.
I mean I guess, but the fact remains 58 of the last 60 CL qualifications (or close to that, didn't check my math closely) have gone to those 6 clubs.

You cant write off a whole season based on signing a 29 year old.

FFS
I'm writing off the whole season based on us having no midfield, no creative players, no RB who can both pass and defend and a piece of swiss cheese in net. I don't think any combination of signings is going to shoot us up the table this year because even if we do fix all those problems it'll take until November to gel. I just want to see us play better in 2020/21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back