Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he in indeed as our fourth choice come the start of the season, I would still to some extent have him playing with the U23s as he needs to be playing regularly.

Regardless of making his debut, he's still a young lad who is learning his trade and that comes through coaching (with first squad or XI) and regular game time.

Let's not forget, he's just eighteen and has a long time to go, so ideally I wouldn't want it rushed; a loan sooner rather than later would probably be best for this.

If we really want to push on, we need good defenders who are ready in the here and now. Too many false dawns before: Browning; Davies; Garbutt etc etc.
Training with the first team but keeping match fitness up with the U23s when necessary

....I have no idea why folk want to send our best young players on loan. There’s an assumption that they will be outstanding and everybody at the club loves them, but the reality is we have no idea how they will perform. Points are precious, one mistake could result in a dropping and loss of confidence.

We don’t know what he’ll be told under the tutorship of other coaches. We don’t know what habits he picks up from new teammates.

Branthwaite is young and has just had one major move. He doesn’t need another change. He looks a lad full of promise, the last thing we want is for him to be ruined at this crucial stage in his development.

Well yeah thats why I said I'm undecided.

But how can you make the point about points being precious and then say we MUST keep him at Everton this season?

Points are even more precious in the premier league than they are in lower divisions, and if we keep Branthwaite and play him in the Prem then he could make a mistake and lose confidence HERE. How is that any different to it happening on loan? In fact its worse because it means EVERTON are the team dropping points, not some loan team that we dont care about.

Also, if we keep him and he's not quite ready to play in the prem every week, or is kept out of the side by good form of other CBs, then that means he's sitting on the bench 'at this crucial stage of his development'.

Like I said, I'm undecided on it, but I feel your post is only looking at one side of the coin.

It will be governed by finances, which I suspect are tight. We need a lot of outgoing players to free up space in the squad. We still have a ridiculous amount of first team players.
Yeah definitely. I said a few times during the season that I thought they may be open to selling Keane if they were able to bring Gabriel (who they clearly wanted and were willing to pay for) in. That may have meant they could bring a freebie/cheap squad filler in as a 4th option as the fee for Keane would offset the purchase of Gabriel. I don't see much point in bringing just another half decent centre half to add to the ones they currently have though, so that might be off the table now.

The second half in the Man U semi final John Stones produced the best 45 minutes I've seen from an Everton player in the last 30 years.

He was inspiring and showed what he had in his locker

I don't know what's happened to him at City and I'm not sure I want him back as these things rarely work out well

I think we all of us have selective memories and I select to remember the good times

Oh, so 45 minutes of football in a match we lost is enough to make up your mind on a player. Despite him playing poorly the whole rest of the season...okay then:Blink:

What do you think of alcaraz? He played well against Newcastle that one time, got man of the match in fact. Should we get him back?

This is my prediction for next season and I genuinely believe it will happen. Everton struggle bottom half for the half of the season. Ancelotti sacked in December. Everton appoint Ferguson on temp basis. Then narrowly avoid relegation. This will likely get negative responses but i believe the scenario is likely.

We should have got Moyes back when we could. West ham will be much more likely to have a successful season next year than us based on that hes there. I just don't see a fairytale ending to this Ancelotti saga I'm afraid
Haha. The fact you say Everton and not WE tells me you are not from this parish.

Who do you support BTW?

Oh, so 45 minutes of football in a match we lost is enough to make up your mind on a player. Despite him playing poorly the whole rest of the season...okay then:Blink:

What do you think of alcaraz? He played well against Newcastle that one time, got man of the match in fact. Should we get him back?

He's retired, so no.

Yeah definitely. I said a few times during the season that I thought they may be open to selling Keane if they were able to bring Gabriel (who they clearly wanted and were willing to pay for) in. That may have meant they could bring a freebie/cheap squad filler in as a 4th option as the fee for Keane would offset the purchase of Gabriel. I don't see much point in bringing just another half decent centre half to add to the ones they currently have though, so that might be off the table now.
I agree, Gabriel would have been a big upgrade. No point unless it significantly improves the team.
Looking at Van Dykes stats, he completed the most passes in their team last season - 3259, compared to our highest passer, Keane at 1447. If you get that right, you improve the team.

Allan obviously Carlo’s pick and I’m 100% behind that.

Doucoure is an interesting one. Bid last summer and I assumed that was down to Silva wanting to re-unite with him but maybe he was always Brands pick? Either way it’s good to see some movement and get some physicality in the midfield.

Can only assume there’s a couple of our players close to the exit too which would be great.
Get in a RB and RW and that's got to be considered a good window given the circumstances.

Training with the first team but keeping match fitness up with the U23s when necessary
Not to disagree with your point, however it’s not solely about match fitness. Part of learning and developing as a player is by undertaking competitive fixtures.

Now the U23 isn't the pinnacle of competitive football by any stretch, but more game time in co-ordination with first team training will make him a better player.

Why do we send players out on a loan? The facilities and coaches in most cases are nowhere near the level we have, but we can't offer them 'real' matches.

You get lads who star in the youth level and then they come against some horrible grock in League 2 and only then do they realise what football is actually about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back