Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
people forget how good Stones was for us at times. He’s had a rocky period under Guardiola but at the top of his game he was a great centreback for us.

People for get how bad he was for us in his last season. Everyone was made up when we sold him.

Cruyff turns in the box, bottling tackles and mistake after mistake after mistake. The lad was terrible in his last season.

Yeah I agree on Branthwaite. Said that at the time people seemed to be getting a bit carried away after 2 good performances or whatever it was. I was arguing then that we should be sending him out on loan next season for the extra game time. But that would mean we have to bring in a 4th CB. So I'm still a bit undecided on it tbh
Yeah it's a tough call. Without knowing what the financial situation is it's difficult to know what's for the best. I wouldn't go out and get any old centre half because I think the 3 senior ones can do a job, but I would have been happy if Gabriel had come here (theoretically I mean, I'm no expert on him but he seemed to be the profile of defender I would like to see added).

This is my prediction for next season and I genuinely believe it will happen. Everton struggle bottom half for the half of the season. Ancelotti sacked in December. Everton appoint Ferguson on temp basis. Then narrowly avoid relegation. This will likely get negative responses but i believe the scenario is likely.

We should have got Moyes back when we could. West ham will be much more likely to have a successful season next year than us based on that hes there. I just don't see a fairytale ending to this Ancelotti saga I'm afraid

John?

Yeah I agree on Branthwaite. Said that at the time people seemed to be getting a bit carried away after 2 good performances or whatever it was. I was arguing then that we should be sending him out on loan next season for the extra game time. But that would mean we have to bring in a 4th CB. So I'm still a bit undecided on it tbh
In an ideal world, this is the scenario that we should be wanting and pushing for. While there were glimpses of a player there, it is nothing more than a glimpse.

The fans have got carried away before with our young players after only a small snapshot, and it usually doesn't end well. As the saying goes: patience is a virtue.

Unless he's a real diamond in the rough (genuine PL talent already), we should be looking to develop him in the U23 or on loan considering his long-term future.

We should be looking at a fourth CB, ideally a top one, and the likes of Mina and Keane will do in the short to medium term, while Holgate and Jarrad long-term.

That's all in an ideal world however where we have the money to do so.

This is my prediction for next season and I genuinely believe it will happen. Everton struggle bottom half for the half of the season. Ancelotti sacked in December. Everton appoint Ferguson on temp basis. Then narrowly avoid relegation. This will likely get negative responses but i believe the scenario is likely.

We should have got Moyes back when we could. West ham will be much more likely to have a successful season next year than us based on that hes there. I just don't see a fairytale ending to this Ancelotti saga I'm afraid
I am amongst Moyesey's biggest fans. However not a chance of this happening mate.

People for get how bad he was for us in his last season. Everyone was made up when we sold him.

Cruyff turns in the box, bottling tackles and mistake after mistake after mistake. The lad was terrible in his last season.

He wasnt "that" bad. I want defenders to defend but I also want them to be expressive where possible. Stopovers and Cruyff turns in the box were a bit much though.

In an ideal world, this is the scenario that we should be wanting and pushing for. While there were glimpses of a player there, it is nothing more than a glimpse.

The fans have got carried away before with our young players after only a small snapshot, and it usually doesn't end well. As the saying goes: patience is a virtue.

Unless he's a real diamond in the rough (genuine PL talent already), we should be looking to develop him in the U23 or on loan considering his long-term future.

We should be looking at a fourth CB, ideally a top one, and the likes of Mina and Keane will do in the short to medium term, while Holgate and Jarrad long-term.

That's all in an ideal world however where we have the money to do so.

Yeah I agree. After Tom Davies first 2 games plenty of us (myself included) had him earmarked for bigger things than hes gone on to do.

Definitely wouldnt have Jarrad back with the u23s tho now that he has actually made his prem debut. Should be looking at a championship loan or keeping him as 4th choice IMO

If we get Allan and Doucouré, surely we have to sell some midfielders?

Allan, Doucouré, Davies, Delph, Sigurdsson, Gbamin and Gomes all for two/three positions?

Davies will be first to go.

Gbamin has been injured and we have seen him play twice only.

Delph possibly be lb cover if we can’t find any buyer.

Yeah I agree. After Tom Davies first 2 games plenty of us (myself included) had him earmarked for bigger things than hes gone on to do.

Definitely wouldnt have Jarrad back with the u23s tho now that he has actually made his prem debut.
Should be looking at a championship loan or keeping him as 4th choice IMO
If he in indeed as our fourth choice come the start of the season, I would still to some extent have him playing with the U23s as he needs to be playing regularly.

Regardless of making his debut, he's still a young lad who is learning his trade and that comes through coaching (with first squad or XI) and regular game time.

Let's not forget, he's just eighteen and has a long time to go, so ideally I wouldn't want it rushed; a loan sooner rather than later would probably be best for this.

If we really want to push on, we need good defenders who are ready in the here and now. Too many false dawns before: Browning; Davies; Garbutt etc etc.

Yeah he wasn't that good I agree.

But he performed a lot better than he did pre-lockdown. And for me he showed he was good enough for a place as a squad player to play in the games when we need a deep defensive line
I don't think I'll ever rate him, but I would probably keep him around for another year if the plan was to carry on sitting deep more often than not.

Now's the time to get shut if Ancelotti intends to play more expansively, though.

There's also the issue of his contract, which I think has two years left to run. I wouldn't like to see him sign an extension, but then the club can't really afford to let his value drop, either.

people forget how good Stones was for us at times. He’s had a rocky period under Guardiola but at the top of his game he was a great centreback for us.

He wasnt "that" bad. I want defenders to defend but I also want them to be expressive where possible. Stopovers and Cruyff turns in the box were a bit much though.

To be fair I think at the time our assesment of Stones was based on the fact that he was young and we thought he was going to develop into a top CB and cut the mistakes out. I dont ever remember thinking 'this lad is a top class CB right now'. It was more 'This lad has all the potential to be a top class CB'

He hasn't really progressed tho since he left.

So if we had him back now, as a 26 year old he would be judged a lot more harshly than as a 20 year old

you ever thought of working as a comedian? You would be pretty good.

Yeah it's a tough call. Without knowing what the financial situation is it's difficult to know what's for the best. I wouldn't go out and get any old centre half because I think the 3 senior ones can do a job, but I would have been happy if Gabriel had come here (theoretically I mean, I'm no expert on him but he seemed to be the profile of defender I would like to see added).
Loans can be pretty disastrous though.
They can end up in the clutches of some anti-diluvian clogger who toughens them up but halts their development.
If he is with our first team, he will play some games this year. He will also learn from Ancelotti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back