Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
it’s because if one of Allan or Doucoure gets injured who comes in? Davies or Sigurdsson and we’re immediately playing with ten men without the ball. If Keane or Mina gets injured who comes in? Digne probably. If we could get a player who can cover those positions until Gbamin Holgate and Branthwaite are back that would help in the short term.

Onviously if we can buy world class then that’s great but considering we spent big on three players I doubt we have the budget to splash out on another worldie.
Agree which is why we shouldn't be splashing half cash to get us half way there, nowhere really.
We have to ride our luck, rather than filling up the roster we so desperately need to lighten.
If it gets down to Davies than so be it. I get the feeling pulling together and getting through it will serve us better down the track.
What I'm trying to say we should only bring in first team starters, marked for particular positions, that are obvious in improving the quality
until then, bring it on as is.
Rather see the money stashed for the next James or Alan, than the next Davy Klassen

20200928_134945.webp

Welcome to Everton.

Presumably one of Keane, Holgate and Mina is to be classed as a back up. I'm very happy with that and I'm pretty sure most on here are too. Gbamin will be classed as a back up. It would be very unfair on him to say that most on here think he's not good enough. Bernard is somebody else you can say is good as back up. Very skillfull player who I believe will impress more with players around him on the same wavelength. Sigurdsson get's a lot of stick on here, but played in the right position (centrally further forward) he'd be a very good option to bring on in games we're controlling and we want to rest, say James. There's not many teams outside the top 6 that can call on a replacement with so much experience and ability.

You've described our back up (part from the 6 in the 18-20 category) as incredibly weak. I would say that none of those I've just mentioned are incredibly weak. I think we need to improve our right back, notwithstanding Seamus's fantastic start to the season. He just doesn't have it in his legs to do it all the time. And I also would like another winger for games when we may want to play James in a more withdrawn role. Somebody with pace and a good end product in terms of goals and assists. Gordon may become that player.

So I reckon we are 2 players short of a good squad that can challenge top 4 this year, provided we stay relatively injury free and continue to get the run of the decisions we've received in the first few games.

If you look at other teams benches, even the top clubs, they aren't scaring me too much at the moment. City had no striker last night and a 17 yo on the bench. Liverpool played a midfielder at centre back, and have no cover at right back if Gomez is injured. Spurs bench didn't scare me when we played them.

So i was a little naughty with the centre backs going with a 3 (mostly because i included gibson so our u20 options are both left footed and you never play 2 left footers together there). Also because 2 of the starters are more similar than the third.

Branthwaite/Gibson for Keane/Mina
Virginia for Pickford
Nkounkou for Digne
Gordon for Richarlison
Kean for DCL

Who would you class as the backups for the following?

Gomes
Allan
Doucoure
James
Coleman
Holgate with a notable mention as well

I would say that the sale of any of the players considered backups to these 6 wouldnt be unwelcome by most.

My point was really that it was interesting that the very players who we dont have u20 backups for are the same ones whose backups are mostly considered sellable.

By the way, City have starting + back up forward out. RS have TAA and Williams RB and Spurs are rebuilding i think...

If we got Todibo in thats competition for Holgate and would mean 7 u20 players in the wings.

Kean, Virginia?, Gibson?

Yeah I assume that's who he meant. Kean and Virginia are both 20 (Virginia is 21 soon) Gibson is not really near the first team at this point for one reason or another.

Kean doesn't really tick that box anyway, he may be young but he was bought for big money and is an international player.

So i was a little naughty with the centre backs going with a 3 (mostly because i included gibson so our u20 options are both left footed and you never play 2 left footers together there). Also because 2 of the starters are more similar than the third.

Branthwaite/Gibson for Keane/Mina
Virginia for Pickford
Nkounkou for Digne
Gordon for Richarlison
Kean for DCL

Who would you class as the backups for the following?

Gomes
Allan
Doucoure
James
Coleman
Holgate with a notable mention as well

I would say that the sale of any of the players considered backups to these 6 wouldnt be unwelcome by most.

My point was really that it was interesting that the very players who we dont have u20 backups for are the same ones whose backups are mostly considered sellable.

By the way, City have starting + back up forward out. RS have TAA and Williams RB and Spurs are rebuilding i think...

If we got Todibo in thats competition for Holgate and would mean 7 u20 players in the wings.

No wonder our CB's are dropping like flies kin Zats been bumming them lol

I'm not sure we do want to play that high really. We played higher under Silva than Ancelotti, and it didn't work.

We don't need to push that high either, Richarlison presses from the front and leads the press himself. We have no real passengers in attack, so we don't need to push high.

Well, we do like to push the FBs up - one at a time if not both at a time.

Allan is there to screen but as we saw against WBA he does like to get forward too and he can help us in that regard. There will be times - mainly at home - where we do get caught.

My general point is we need our CB partnerships to complement each other. In Saturday's game, Mina and Keane did well as they did v Spurs. But against West Brom, probably the weakest side we have played in the league, the balance didn't look right.

Both of them look a bit more balanced in games where we look to control more of the possession when we play Holgate. Obviously his ability on the ball is a big part of that but also his pace is crucial.

So there's no point in just going to get 'any' CB in. We need one of a certain profile (which imo is why it's taking time).

and @MarcelsGoat goat - have just seen your post

Last edited:
I think we need to avoid repeating the myth in here that we have already spent big. £42mil seems to be the consensus for Allan & doucoure, with James anywhere from free to paying out his contract to the tune of maybe £12mil.

That's just one player for Chelsea, city, even Liverpool spending £43mil on Jota when they apparently are skint.

I don't think we have spent particularly big this window or have a problem with cash, it's more sensible wage management. We have already replaced the wages saved with schneiderlin, baines and others that have left so need to avoid the temptation of increasing the bill further before we find a way to remove Sandro, bolasie, besic, one of Delph/Davies etc. from the payroll.

Despite cynicism on here I think we will see Sandro, besic and probably bolasie leave before end of window one way or another as they have absolutely no future and won't be named so they and we will find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back