Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That defence doesn't work for a number of reasons.

Firstly the reason we have a new manager to begin with is that the players weren't performing under the previous one either, in the system that they supposedly do suit. Secondly, Ancelotti is known for using the system which he believes best utilises what he has at his disposal. He evidently doesn't believe that playing the formation they were bought to play in would get the best out of these players. Thirdly, the formation isn't really what I was talking about. It's as if Ancelotti doesn't actually trust the players to have the ball. It shouldn't matter whether you're in a midfield 3 or a 2, or whether you're playing wide in 442 or 4231, it doesn't affect your actual footballing ability, and yet our plan is seemingly to play very basic football because the players aren't deemed capable of doing anything more complicated. From what we've seen of them, that lack of faith is completely justified.

Finally the thing about our fans always makes me laugh. Our fans are no different - better or worse - than any other set of supporters across the country. You just don't live in an echo chamber of notts county fans in the way you do among Everton fans, so you don't hear them moaning.

Actually one more thing, if you think Iwobi 'tries his heart out' then you've got a cheek criticising other fans. The lad's wimped out of tackles in his last 2 games, if fans are happy with that level of 'effort' then you have at least got one thing right, it's probably better we don't have a full ground.

To come back on a couple of things...

Point 1: I see that. But Bernard was pretty popular under Silva, certainly wasn't being written off as a flop or failure until recently under Ancelotti. Poor results as a team doesn't necessarily mean that every player was failing. Iwobi to be fair wasn't excelling under Silva, but I'd argue that he still in that system wasn't getting to play his best position. Number 10. On the rare occasions he did, he looked much better.

Point 2: I disagree here. Yes, Ancelotti plays the system which best utilises what he has at his disposal. In other words, he plays what gets results. That is not the same as playing what helps each player to thrive and perform at their best. There's no way you can look at, for example, Gylfo Sigurdsson, and say that this system suits him and helps him thrive. Now, again, I accept he was already under performing this season. But compare last season as a 10 to this season as a CM in a 442 and it's clear that he's not able to do his best work. Ancelotti's approach - at this moment in time at least - is pragmatic, to get the best results in terms of the team. Not, at this point to see every player in their best possible position.

As for the point about the fans. You may be right about us being no different to other fans, I'll accept.
But I'm not having that Iwobi doesn't try. I've watched him closely and he's put a shift in and tried to do everything asked of him. I can't recall him shirking challenges. I can certainly recall him losing challenges, but that's not the same thing. He's not Lee carsley or Gareth Barry that's for sure. He's an attacking player with some flair, and he's not been brought through as a midfield battler grafting up and down the wing and protecting his full back. I do honestly believe that he's trying his best but he's just not that good at it. The issue for me is over quality and not work ethic.

You're definitely right here, but both attitudes are as bad as eachother to be honest. If we'd won people would be saying we were going to win the league next year, which would be equally ludicrous. I think what has caused a bit of a backlash is that people had convinced themselves everything was alright now. There were loads of posts about how Carlo had come up with this magic formula and now we were just going to win all our games 1-0 and once he had his own players there'd be no stopping us. The defeat has brought people crashing back down to earth because a) It was a truly horrific performance in its own right and b) It just highlighted that actually we haven't solved any of our problems at all, we've just masked them a bit better. The focus - rightly, in my opinion - shifts to Brands when both of those things become apparent. It's fair to say that this is a long term project and he shouldn't be expected to unearth gems 100% of the time, but it's also fair to say that it's a damning indictment of his recruitment so far that our game plan under one of the greatest managers currently in the game is effectively to have as little of the ball as possible and simplify our approach to the point that you're just asking your wide players to play like extra full backs and your strikers to chase the ball as fast they can.

If we sign Lingard I will cry real tears.
I can't agree with that .

I think that the vast majority of Evertonians knew that we had a terrible midfield well before the Spurs game and and that we were only getting results because of Carlo's tactical nous.

Nothing has changed for me.

I can't agree with that .

I think that the vast majority of Evertonians knew that we had a terrible midfield well before the Spurs game and and that we were only getting results because of Carlo's tactical nous.

Nothing has changed for me.
Then you're a realist and that's great. Just look in pretty much any of the threads from literally just a few days ago though, Keane had been reborn and could now be the rock around which we built the defence, Iwobi had finally blossomed, Richarlison and DCL were the best strike partnership in the league etc. For some people there was definitely a suggestion that 'legs' next to Gomes would be enough to see us motoring up the league.

Then you're a realist and that's great. Just look in pretty much any of the threads from literally just a few days ago though, Keane had been reborn and could now be the rock around which we built the defence, Iwobi had finally blossomed, Richarlison and DCL were the best strike partnership in the league etc. For some people there was definitely a suggestion that 'legs' next to Gomes would be enough to see us motoring up the league.
Perhaps I don't spend as much time on here as yourself but can't recall anyone suggesting that Iwobi has finally blossomed !
Keane's form has improved , there is no denying that but he's hardly Franz Beckenbauer or Franco Baresi.
Richarlison and DCL work really hard but I'm not seeing a true partnership there if I'm being honest.
Gomes has talent and the best technique of all of our midfield but my god he is so inconsistent and one paced.
As for Iwobi...........

I’d argue that Szoboszlai isn’t a Brands-type signing as he wouldn’t be a ‘find’. You want Brands to find value in the market by buying a ‘Szoboszlai’ before he has a head-turning season. Coleman, for instance, cost nothing because he was unknown...but within 18 months he’s worth a small fortune. Untapped talent is the best way to build a squad and grow its value. The moment Iwobi is bought he’s a bad investment; that’s what I find odd about who the club have bought in recent years - the value of the squad isn’t appreciating sufficiently. The strategy is off.
Yes agree we need and expect Brands to find and sign such players but not all his signings will be obscure ones, there will be a mix (before u respond agree we havent had as many left field ones as we all hoped). This kid is only 19 though, not a great league but those stats are certainly eye catching for the league and his age. No idea of the price but given the league it wouldn't be over the top and he would be pushing for it if we came in you would think.

Lingard is linked to someone every single season and he never moves. It’s because absolutely no one would touch him with a barge pole.

D0WmqIoWkAAH119.jpg

For those who aren't too keen on stats apologies but thought these were quite interesting

Emiliano Buendia - 23 years old:

- 1goal , 7 assists so far in prem this season

- 2.4 key passes per game ( 4th best in the league, only behind De bruyne, grealish and maddison )

- 3.1 dribbles a game (again 4th best in the league, only behind Traore, Saint maximin and Zaha )

- 2.3 tackles per game (19th in the league but take out the defenders he sits 8th )

Don't know how much he supposedly worth but with Norwich going down surely he will be cheapish and a creative RM is something we are desperate for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back