Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is spot on. For years he was average at best at Arsenal. Their fans were happy to see the back of him.

I was hoping it was a case that he would be better when you watch him every week but he's every bit the player i thought he was
Yup. He’s pretty average. Looks ok against relegation fodder like Norwich but anonymous in big games. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on some exciting new transfers. Over to you Marcel...

Yup. He’s pretty average. Looks ok against relegation fodder like Norwich but anonymous in big games. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on some exciting new transfers. Over to you Marcel...
Yep. He’s a bang average squad player at best. Doesn’t really do anything well but like you say, against poor opposition may create an opening or two. I'd sell now whilst he still has some of that Sky 6 value added tax on him.

All this is about expectations. Iwobi came in with massive expectations because of his price tag. By fans he was supposed to be a starter that would improve the team from day one.

While what Brands purchased was a young versatile player with a great potential. A player that could compete with Bernard and also offer much needed cover for Gylfi as a number 10.

His underlying statistics at Arsenal were great. He was their by far most creative player. Lots of "second assists". A player that is naturally gifted but needs to be further developed.

Even in his poor season for Everton he scores a lot better than teammates when it comes to progressive passing and number of successful passing into the box. In a team that desperately needed more than "give the ball to Digne and pray he can make a decent cross".

Chelsea gave up on a 23 year old De Bruyne and a 24 year old Salah. The fact that a player does not shine his first season does not mean that they should not have been purchased. That is not how the world works. But the reality is boring compared to looking for scapegoats...

Yeah this, can see why people want rid of Iwobi but disagree it was a nightmare signing. Still only 23, we have seen glimpses of his talent and at least his initial few games, and the run out at #10 before Silva sent us on a downward spiral you could see there was a player there.

Unlike your Bolasie's, Gyfli's etc... if Iwobi does indeed go onto disappoint again this season at least we'll make some money back on him.

Hopefully he's got the right attitude and he'll develop under Ancelotti. Carlo played a 3 man midfield in the last couple of games, hopefully if that's something we see a bit more next season then I hope he favours Iwobi in the midfield 3 over Sigurdsson.

This is spot on. For years he was average at best at Arsenal. Their fans were happy to see the back of him.

I was hoping it was a case that he would be better when you watch him every week but he's every bit the player i thought he was

His record at Arsenal in his last season wasn't that bad (interesting analysis here: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...018-19-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics) - but the Gooners were obviously happy for him to go, especially at the money we offered. I have no idea why; but I still have a feeling he is not a lost cause if played in a system that suits his game - although that said, I would not deliberately build a system just to accommodate him.

Bouanga on the left, Brooks on the right, Allan in the midfield, Gabriel in at CB and that Celik fellow for a right back. That's about 110-120m spent right there. Would we be pleased with that?

To spend that I would think that several outgoings would be necessary including either Bernard or Iwobi (much more likely to be Bernard, though he could be sold and Iwobi loaned out), either Keane or Mina (to me, more likely Mina), Kenny and Delph. Ideally Gylfi is sold, but for some reason I think he won't be. The rest of the deadwood (Sandro, Bolasie, Tosun, Pennington, Besic) to be sold if we are able and loaned if not.

If Brands could pull something like that off I would be well pleased ('course I am skeptical).

His record at Arsenal in his last season wasn't that bad (interesting analysis here: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...018-19-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics) - but the Gooners were obviously happy for him to go, especially at the money we offered. I have no idea why; but I still have a feeling he is not a lost cause if played in a system that suits his game - although that said, I would not deliberately build a system just to accommodate him.

I don't rate him at all and don't think he will ever be one of our better players.

BUT as others have mentioned, he is far from our biggest priority to replace, and with a more competent midfield around him and a team in better form i think we could get some better performances from him than we've seen thus far

If Longstaff comes in, and Davies goes out on loan it wouldn't be a complete disaster.

Hell the lad might be able to travel 10 yards with the ball without falling over his own feet.
Maybe not a disaster but it is completely pointless. If we're bringing in young players I'd go for ones who have discernible attributes that help the team.

Bouanga on the left, Brooks on the right, Allan in the midfield, Gabriel in at CB and that Celik fellow for a right back. That's about 110-120m spent right there. Would we be pleased with that?

To spend that I would think that several outgoings would be necessary including either Bernard or Iwobi (much more likely to be Bernard, though he could be sold and Iwobi loaned out), either Keane or Mina (to me, more likely Mina), Kenny and Delph. Ideally Gylfi is sold, but for some reason I think he won't be. The rest of the deadwood (Sandro, Bolasie, Tosun, Pennington, Besic) to be sold if we are able and loaned if not.

If Brands could pull something like that off I would be well pleased ('course I am skeptical).
I don't think those incomings make us a great deal better tbh.

that's my problem, what is his game? he's not the quickest or the most skillful. He doesn't assist or score goals and he's not the greatest at picking out a pass so i don't know what he does. I'll give him due he does try to always pass forward but maybe that's only noticeable given the majority of our midfield go backwards.

I could see the guy making loads of assists and 3-5 goals a year being his ceiling. He does have a decent eye but we already have a player that pulls out of challenges and looks labored whilst running pretending to be a 10.

He surpassed that ceiling at Arsenal last season.

I could see the guy making loads of assists and 3-5 goals a year being his ceiling. He does have a decent eye but we already have a player that pulls out of challenges and looks labored whilst running pretending to be a 10.
The pulls out of challenges thing is just people going and looking for things to be critical of. I mean if he went flying in and got booked would we be praising him for that? No answer really needed as Davies does that and is not praised for it.

The pulls out of challenges thing is just people going and looking for things to be critical of. I mean if he went flying in and got booked would we be praising him for that? No answer really needed as Davies does that and is not praised for it.

Nobody is saying they want our players to get booked.

They're saying they want our players to show some commitment and passion, Iwobi most definitely doesn't show either of those things, and he most certainly does pull out of tackles whenever he gets the opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back