Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tough game this tonight - totally different type of challenge to the last few games. Leeds, Brighton and (to a lesser extent) Southampton are all teams who play on the front front, press but leave gaps. Burnley are anything but that. We've largely relied on playing on the counter in our first few games (19th in the league in terms of possession), but Burnley will sit deep and now allow us any real chance to play on the counter (20th in the league for possession). Onus will be on us to break them down and we've not really seen a Benitez team being presented with that problem yet. Sort of game where a cameo from James might be helpful, but no idea if that's remotely possible as things stand.

Predict a 0-0 and a fair amount of fume on here afterwards about how Benitez is ridiculous for not using James more

Strange that they've chosen this for TV of all matches when it's probably not going to be an exciting game of football to watch with Benitez and Dyche locking horns tactically

Burnley haven't had the best start, but that might make them even more dangerous

I'm going with a scrappy 1-0 win for The Toffees
I reckon they thought we’d be playing the kind of horrorball that Benitez served up at Newcastle, have a responsibility to show all the premier league clubs at least once a time and thought why not get both us out the way in one match!

It was telling how few games we got televised compared to recent seasons pre COVID what was expected of us!

Still get cold sweats thinking about this match last season

Burnley, of all teams, tearing about the pitch

What a joke last season was
Yeah we got outrun and outfought all over the pitch last year it was embarrassing.
If our start is anything to go by, I can’t imagine that happening many times again this season.

My last game I attended at Goodison was a 1-0 defeat to Burnley in 2017. Oumar Niasse started. He was replaced by Sandro Ramirez.

Now THAT season was a joke.
My last game at Goodison was the 2-0 defeat against Norwich which cost Mr Silva his job…
We started with Tosun as a lone striker with DCL and Kean on the bench and waited until only 25 mins to go before making subs lol

Maybe you and I should keep away from Goodison!

Status
Not open for further replies.