Match Thread Everton v Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it'll be two banks of four, with Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin needing to provide an outlet up front.

Something like Holgate tucking in as a very defensive right-back, making a three when Nkounkou gets forward to provide some width, could be interesting (Tottenham did this earlier in season with Doherty and Davies), but I can't see the kid being put in against Pulisic if he wasn't trusted to face Robbie Brady. That's unless Ancelotti sees it as an opportunity to stop people calling for him to play by throwing him to the lions, like when Moyes would move Heitinga into midfield instead of just outright dropping him for Distin or Jagielka if he was playing well.

I hope he doesn't do something mad from the start again. It'll end up being a proper hiding if Chelsea score early.

8/10 times this is a Chelsea win but we probably would have said 9/10 times last year and we won, our best hope is to be solid and compact in two banks of four without James and rely on the front two to get at them. Thing is Chelsea have much better keeper and forwards this year so its going to be tough very tough. Anyway good to have fans back it may give a few a kick up the rear no more friendlies! #coybs

I would play 442 and launch it with a flat back 4. Our midfield is crap, our defence is fragile. Get it forward and put their defence under pressure too. No faffing about with square passes in the midfield. We are not a possession team and I hope we never are.

If we hoof and play very aggressive we have a good chance.

Agreed. I was thinking similar but 442 might see us get outnumbered in the middle, again. Whatever formation we play, the key will be getting it up to DCL early and playing off the knockdowns and second balls. Get Richarlison and Doucoure scrambling around close to him and we might have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back