• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
photo_2023-08-12_01-04-43_7266235657171763220.jpg

1 all.
DCL with a lovely turn and shot on 29.
Keane slip up in the 87th allows them an equaliser

Stat:
The Toffees have drawn their opening game of a Premier League season more often than any other side, with 12 of their 31 matches ending level.

I’d take the draw but we really need to win this one, and get points on the board, seeing as the fixture computer has given us a decent start

As we go into another season, this will be my 55th, I was reflecting on the meaning of success. In those 55 years there was a time that the first game of the season was a thing to be looked forward to, it was a time for optimism, a time when Evertonians thought about what they could win this time around. That was replaced with us competing for the 7th place trophy, the top six were the top six but we were the best of the rest, those days passed. We had a while were we were in contention for the top of the bottom half, again that passed. So now we head into a season which can only promise a long hard struggle, a season we’re two or three injuries to the wrong players we we go down. A saying which has become synonymous with Evertonians is “it is the hope that kills you” and that remains true today. However current leaders within the club have managed to change our hopes, as a young man my hopes for the club was a trophy, then it became a European place, then 7th, then 11th now the meaning of success is not being relegated. I can remember the halcyon days when that saying meant something, when Evertonians felt deflated when we went into a season with genuine hope that this was the year the trophy drought would end, Bill Kenwright and Moshiri have killed that hope, no one thinks we can win anything. Sky are televising our game away to Doncaster Rovers because they think there might be an upset, can you imagine the “school of science “ or “the dogs of war” even considering an upset at Doncaster. So on the verge of another campaign my hopes are for DCL not to be injured, for a 19 year old to take to the Premier League in style, for Onana and Garner to come of age and for Seamus Coleman to role back the years and galvanise our defence. My hope is for 44 goals and 39 points, for 15th place.

We have a big opportunity to take some pressure off this season and get some early points so we’re not in a relegation fight again

Our first five home games are Fulham, Wolves, Arsenal, Luton and Bournemouth so I’d like to think we can get 10-12 points from those really. We also have Sheffield United away as our 4th game too so good opportunities for points on top of plenty of free hits which we will pick up something from

We have a big opportunity to take some pressure off this season and get some early points so we’re not in a relegation fight again

Our first five home games are Fulham, Wolves, Arsenal, Luton and Bournemouth so I’d like to think we can get 10-12 points from those really. We also have Sheffield United away as our 4th game too so good opportunities for points on top of plenty of free hits which we will pick up something from
Exactly what I thought when the fixtures were released.

But that was much earlier in the transfer window when I was full of hope.

Now I fear we will get off to a poor start from which we may not recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back