Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United, KO 20:00 Mon 23rd April

Should I have bothered to finish my last paragraph?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • No it’s ok, we’re all emotionally drained and understand

Votes: 120 74.5%
  • Cheese on toast fella

Votes: 33 20.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird game that one, looked like Gueye was playing no 10 for large periods of the game while Snides and Rooney battled each other to play at the base of the midfield. Gueye has always been toothless going forward and is wasted at 10 but didn't exactly play well when he dropped deeper either.

The game was crying out for someone willing to carry the ball forward and make the right pass. Davies can do the first bit well but isn't the best passer while on the move, Vlasic or Klaassen could have been a better option but both not on the bench again.

An interesting statistic came up before the match on my TV coverage. Everton have had the second least attempts on target
this season - 179. We are amongst the relegation doomed and those in danger of going down.

However, we have the equal second best conversion rate of having scored from 20.5% of those attempts. We are amongst the CL
qualifiers.

Having scored from our only attempt on target this week we are probably outright second. There you go, we're good at something.

I was utterly bored watching that
If Benidorm had been on last night I would have turned over

Dear me. Sorry you were bored. That is outrageous. You should ask for your money back. Oh hang on you were not at the match so there is no chance of a refund. There might be plenty more next season if Sam stays, so prepare to switch to other channels, but something more intellectual, not Benidorm.

Reactions: kev

Bolasie lost possession every time he got the ball (apart from the hopeful loopingcross that someohow found its way to Walcott.
Walcott lost possession every time he got the ball (and spawned a lucky goal after his mis-control - although he did take it well after that)
Keane is a lumbering donkey
Davies just runs until he's caught by the opposition and then falls over - Every time (and he can't pass)
I forgot that DCL was on until he got caught offside.
None of these should play for us again!

Dear me. Sorry you were bored. That is outrageous. You should ask for your money back. Oh hang on you were not at the match so there is no chance of a refund. There might be plenty more next season if Sam stays, so prepare to switch to other channels, but something more intellectual, not Benidorm.
This last series of Benidorm has been brilliant

1 shot on target= 1 goal.

In Sam's book of 'football management brilliance' that's a 100% return.
The football was once again utterly turgid and I believe that it'll continue to be so under Sam's reign, as I simply don't think he can change.

He will argue that his job was to bring us survival over attractive football and he may be right, but survival has been assured for a while now.

So to be happy that woeful performance is nothing short of farcical. Part of me believes that it's now simply Sam having something and giggles.

I am a little surprised by the discontent a few Evertonians feel regarding this season. We got 2 points vs a well drilled West Brom team, and did the double over Stoke City and Newcastle. Was it an outstanding season? No, we couldn't quite manage 7th in the league, but to call it underwhelming (as some on here are doing), is drawing a rather long bow imo.

I am a little surprised by the discontent a few Evertonians feel regarding this season. We got 2 points vs a well drilled West Brom team, and did the double over Stoke City and Newcastle. Was it an outstanding season? No, we couldn't quite manage 7th in the league, but to call it underwhelming (as some on here are doing), is drawing a rather long bow imo.
In one sense yes, in respect of the league position should we finish 8th, but the underlying gripe is the lack of entertainment and footballing style. We are not Burnley or Bolton historically speaking. Granted the Koeman collapse and the money wasted on crap players, made it certain we would fall away from previous standards. Sam can't be blamed for the sub standard players in our squad. Added to the discontent is the prospect of him staying another season and the probability of more awful standard of football. We may never get in the top 4 but the way we play is important to Evertonians.

This has been one of the worst season's in living memory. A dreadful squad - hopeless managers and some truly dire footy. I hope that most of them are sold and we can rebuild to play a semblance of entertaining football. Some exceptions - but too few to mention. We were certs for relegation imo so credit to Sam for what he has done - but he's not the manager for us. Roll on Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back